Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #1201
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yeah...it seems like the forum search can't handle search terms with decimals, maybe?

Shari
In your user options, you can change the search to using Google, which works enormously better . The "Search Engine" option right at the very bottom of the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #1202
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Yes I should. I did poke around a bit but obviously not enough, apologies!

[EDIT] Huh, I just did search for 5.8.9, I get zero results for either threads or posts... weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yeah...it seems like the forum search can't handle search terms with decimals, maybe?

Shari
The following works for me (tm):
Code:
https://www.google.com/#q=5.8.9+site:mobileread.com
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #1203
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The following works for me (tm):
Code:
https://www.google.com/#q=5.8.9+site:mobileread.com
That's what you'll get "for free" if you change the site search engine to Google .
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #1204
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's what you'll get "for free" if you change the site search engine to Google .
I expected them to be the same also.
But they are not this morning, I tried both ways before posting.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #1205
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's interesting. What results do you get if you change the search engine on the site to Google?
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #1206
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
That's interesting. What results do you get if you change the search engine on the site to Google?
"Sorry no results."

Same as the internal search engine.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #1207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How very peculiar .
Old 04-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #1208
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
How very peculiar .
Inspired by your question, I checked my option settings.
Sure enough, it is still set to 'google' not to 'internal'.

Bit-rot in the forum software?
Bit-mites?
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 AM   #1209
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hm, could be indeed, or maybe it thinks its a number of very small strings so it can't find them or something...
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #1210
gabbia
gabbia began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Jailbreak explanations?
is there like a wiki or something?
im not too well versed in javascript so a summary would be nice to use while i check it out

(this also applies to all jailbreaks)
gabbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #1211
gabbia

also reading 10s of pages of forum for exploit info is a pain
Old 04-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #1212
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbia View Post
Jailbreak explanations?
is there like a wiki or something?
im not too well versed in javascript so a summary would be nice to use while i check it out

(this also applies to all jailbreaks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbia View Post
also reading 10s of pages of forum for exploit info is a pain
Branch Delay has published.
Just not at this site.
Scroll up, you will find the link to his publication.

Note:
If reading a few pages of posts is a hardship on you, you don't even want to dream of developing an exploit such as his.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:31 AM   #1213
gabbia

alright illl scroll. although im not too sure scrolling 80 pages and developing exploits can be compared...two different kinds of skill

EDIT: can't find it. i searched through the original dev's posts.
all i can gather so far is that there is most probably some sort of overflow going on, and i can't understand ;fc-cache in the browser

EDIT2: also, there must be something going on with the long url @stage1, and also the main exploit is that magicfun i guess. just can't figure out how he gets "jb" script to execute...

EDIT3: also that html frame in "frame.html" makes no fucking sense to me..

EDIT4: from what i can gather:
- arbitrary bash commands can be executed on the device. root execution is left up to the exploit (i gather this from the fact you guys say only jb needs to be put into the device)
- there is probably an injection exploit in the browser's search feature ";fc-cache"
- the main concept is all about filling up the heap with memory until the bash script is able to write to /etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem
- i still don't understand where the "jb" gets called nor how magicfun helps out with writing to that root protected file...also there are some things which _seem_ unnecessary to me. like that "magic string" that gets passed to magicfun...does it have to be weird unicode stuff or can it just be something else?

Last edited by gabbia; 04-22-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #1214
gabbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
Attached.
Will potentially put up a much easier method this weekend. Also will throw up an explanation sometime in the future.

Special thanks to Cyril for the CVE/original POC, the Gateway 3DS team for a slightly enhanced heap spray, NiLuJe for way too much, and Amazon for fixing it up.

so...where can i find the poc made by Cyril?
it seems like all this info would benefit from being organized somewhere

EDIT: also im thinking what knc1 was referrring to earlier as an "explanation in another site" is probably the famous cve. i can't find it though...

Last edited by gabbia; 04-22-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #1215
gabbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
;fc-cache was just a trick for mntroot. easy to work around, probably could find something else in a few hours. not critical
so im guessing fc-cache has something to do with running jb shell script?

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking