Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #1171
elenderg
elenderg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 White (2015) WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is great.

But confusing, your device info lists only a "Paperwhite" which means the first model (PW or PW1 nickname) and this thread's method will not work on a PW1 (it requires fw-5.6.5 and the PW1 doesn't run anything more recent than 5.6.1.1).

Please use the first six characters of your device's serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
To find out what the nickname of your model is at this site.

You will need that information to pick the correct add-in versions.
All of our update_*.bin format packages are 'model locked'.
It's a Paperwhite 2 (PW2IL)...
elenderg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #1172
microinfo
microinfo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle basic
Hello everyone, I have a kindle basic bought in November 2015. My kindle has active advertising, or when the device goes into standby appear the advertising images of books. Now since my kindle is updated to version 5.6.5 I would like to know if I can do this jailbrake to eliminate advertising and maybe upload some custom screen saver. I also wanted to know if it was possible then update to the latest firmware versions without losing jailbrake.

thank you
microinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #1173
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by microinfo View Post
Hello everyone, I have a kindle basic bought in November 2015. My kindle has active advertising, or when the device goes into standby appear the advertising images of books. Now since my kindle is updated to version 5.6.5 I would like to know if I can do this jailbrake to eliminate advertising and maybe upload some custom screen saver. I also wanted to know if it was possible then update to the latest firmware versions without losing jailbrake.
Get Amazon to turn off the advertising. It doesn't cost very much, and if you're a good customer they might even do it for free.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #1174
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

thank you
Notice to owners of Special Offers Kindles:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200942

TL;DR: No

Read (and use) the current jailbreak for the other answer(s):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #1175
microinfo
microinfo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle basic
so if you do off the offers via amazon, however after jailbrake I can not see my screen saver?
microinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #1176
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
so if you do off the offers via amazon, however after jailbrake I can not see my screen saver?
If your Amazon account shows that Special Offers is disabled for the device, then you still have to leave the Kindle on-line long enough for Amazon's servers to update the local files.

When your Kindle has been brought up to date, with some firmware versions, the "Device Info" panel will also show that "Special Offers" is disabled.

If both your Amazon account and the "Device Info" panel shows that your Kindle IS NOT a special offers device, then you have something else wrong.

Last edited by knc1; 09-29-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #1177
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Hello there!

I've been enjoying my jailbroken KV, and I wanted to ask: will jb survive the upgrade to 5.8.5? Yes, I know it's stated that it survives updates, but I'm too nervous and just wanted some n00b consolation...

Thank!
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #1178
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Hello there!

I've been enjoying my jailbroken KV, and I wanted to ask: will jb survive the upgrade to 5.8.5? Yes, I know it's stated that it survives updates, but I'm too nervous and just wanted some n00b consolation...

Thank!
Install the most recent "Jailbreak Survial Code" - see Step #6 of the current jailbreak, directions in that spoiler.

Pack: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597
Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877 - Step #6 only, see its spoiler.

Direct links to the Amazon update server are in the Step #7 spoiler.
That includes 5.8.5, so you don't have to wait for the OTA update or remove the update blocker (also described in Step #7).
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #1179
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Install the most recent "Jailbreak Survial Code" - see Step #6 of the current jailbreak, directions in that spoiler.

Pack: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597
Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877 - Step #6 only, see its spoiler.

Direct links to the Amazon update server are in the Step #7 spoiler.
That includes 5.8.5, so you don't have to wait for the OTA update or remove the update blocker (also described in Step #7).
Thanks a million! Somehow I missed the survival code, so through your patient reply you actually opened my eyes - though I should have found it myself. Thanks!!!
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #1180
mvikramreddy92
mvikramreddy92 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2(serial: 9017...)
Hi guys, I jailbreaked PW2 5.6.5 and updated to 5.7.2 in Feb 2016 using mj52's guide on this thread from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=526.

Can someone tell me what steps do I need to take to stay updated now with all the updated software?

Thank you
mvikramreddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #1181
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvikramreddy92 View Post
Hi guys, I jailbreaked PW2 5.6.5 and updated to 5.7.2 in Feb 2016 using mj52's guide on this thread from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=526.

Can someone tell me what steps do I need to take to stay updated now with all the updated software?

Thank you
The update bridge code has changed since then, install the current version:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877, Step #6 Only.

What updated software? Ours or Amazon's?
Once the Step #6 update above is done - your good to go with any Amazon update.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #1182
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
I can't remember if I installed that hotfix so I tried installing it but once I disconnect my Kindle, an error message pops up (illegal/unsupported file or something; can't remember it) and that file gets automatically deleted. Does that mean I already have the hotfix installed?
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #1183
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
No. If it's already installed, it just overwrites it
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #1184
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
I can't remember if I installed that hotfix so I tried installing it but once I disconnect my Kindle, an error message pops up (illegal/unsupported file or something; can't remember it) and that file gets automatically deleted. Does that mean I already have the hotfix installed?
No. It means Lab126 doesn't like our KindleTool packages.

Try installing it with MrPI since it is an update_*.bin format package.
Ah, it is if you un-archived it first.
The 'hotfix' package is the CONTENTS of the archive, not the archive itself.
Here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1472421478
Old 11-04-2016, 12:30 AM   #1185
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
That explains it. I've been placing the .bin file on the root directory (following the instructions on the latest jailbreak, step 6 in particular) and not the mrpackages installer. Thanks!
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking