Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #1156
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSyxsuke View Post
I am trying this jailbreak after using the downgrade method released today to get to 5.6.5. I have my KT2 in Airplane Mode and go into the experimental browser and typed in "file:///mnt/us/index.html", which brings up the page. I clicked the I Agree button....and nothing happens. The page doesn't change, no message pops up about it being in Airplane Mode, the title bar doesn't change to say anything. Does it take a long time to work and I'm just not patient? I've waited until the screen times out and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
You downgraded to the factory initial firmware, then you upgraded to 5.6.5?
If so, what you are experiencing has not been reported before.

- - - -

Ensure you have the correct factory initial update package.
Use the first six characters of your device's serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Is it really a KT2?
Whatever it is, you now know for sure.

Now check that you have the matching (by nickname) factory initial install.
If not, get the correct one.

Now install that initial factory firmware (again).
Do not upgrade to 5.6.5 this time.

Now try the newer jb released today, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275887

Inside of that archive you will find two files -
Read the readme and do as directed with the other file just as it is inside of the release archive.
I.E: the 'other' file is also an archive - use it as-is according to the directions in the readme, do not un-archive that one.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #1157
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I am trying this jailbreak after using the downgrade method released today to get to 5.6.5. I have my KT2 in Airplane Mode and go into the experimental browser and typed in "file:///mnt/us/index.html", which brings up the page. I clicked the I Agree button....and nothing happens. The page doesn't change, no message pops up about it being in Airplane Mode, the title bar doesn't change to say anything. Does it take a long time to work and I'm just not patient? I've waited until the screen times out and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
I and others had the same problem with our PW2 kindles -- we do not know why. It worked fine for many other people. There is an older method involving an external webserver that I was unable to try because I did not firewall my LAN to protect from an OTA update and it bit me right away when I joined the network. However, the PW2 is a special case that can use an older and simpler jailbreak method.

In your case, did you see the NEW universal jailbreak? You should try that instead of the old 5.6.5 jailbreak your description seems to imply.

EDIT: Shazam! knc1 beat me in submitting his post by mere SECONDS! But yeah, pretty much the same answer. Use the NEW jailbreak, not the old obsolete one that uses the web browser. Hint: see the new "Jailbreak Index" sticky thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-04-2016 at 08:10 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #1158
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
EDIT: Shazam! knc1 beat me in submitting his post by mere SECONDS! But yeah, pretty much the same answer. Use the NEW jailbreak, not the old obsolete one that uses the web browser.
Also known as the Ninja Maneuver.
I narrowly escaped being ninjaed myself.

It is most efficacious when multiple (three or four) people respond within minutes to something that was posted hours to a day previous.
Yes, this happens.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #1159
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast
GreatSyxsuke doesn't litterGreatSyxsuke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I and others had the same problem with our PW2 kindles -- we do not know why. It worked fine for many other people. There is an older method involving an external webserver that I was unable to try because I did not firewall my LAN to protect from an OTA update and it bit me right away when I joined the network. However, the PW2 is a special case that can use an older and simpler jailbreak method.

In your case, did you see the NEW universal jailbreak? You should try that instead of the old 5.6.5 jailbreak your description seems to imply.

EDIT: Shazam! knc1 beat me in submitting his post by mere SECONDS!
I did not see the new universal jailbreak until you and knc1 mentioned it. I was previously on 5.8.1 and saw the DGA-1 post earlier today so I was following that. As stated, the downgrade and then manual update to 5.6.5 worked fine. It was only when I tried using the browser that things came to a stop.

I will do the downgrade again to factory settings, try the new method and report back later on. Thank you both for the prompt replies.
GreatSyxsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #1160
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did not see the new universal jailbreak until you and knc1 mentioned it. I was previously on 5.8.1 and saw the DGA-1 post earlier today so I was following that. As stated, the downgrade and then manual update to 5.6.5 worked fine. It was only when I tried using the browser that things came to a stop.

I will do the downgrade again to factory settings, try the new method and report back later on. Thank you both for the prompt replies.
I would try the new jailbreak before downgrading AGAIN. You should already have installed what it needs (unless you did a factory reset to wipe it, then not sure).
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #1161
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would try the new jailbreak before downgrading AGAIN. You should already have installed what it needs (unless you did a factory reset to wipe it, then not sure).
I don't think 5.6.5 supports the new jailbreak.
Better to just follow the known to work path, downgrade all the way and then run the new JB file.

I am working on a re-write of the DGA-1 announcement post -
I did not expect BD to turn out a new JB within a few hours.

The completed DGA-2 will not be ready for public use today -
Although it would have been nice to release both on July 4th (we tried).
Old 07-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #1162
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I don't think 5.6.5 supports the new jailbreak.
Better to just follow the known to work path, downgrade all the way and then run the new JB file.

I am working on a re-write of the DGA-1 announcement post -
I did not expect BD to turn out a new JB within a few hours.

The completed DGA-2 will not be ready for public use today -
Although it would have been nice to release both on July 4th (we tried).
Oops. I missed that. A firmware upgrade destroys the factory stuff the new jailbreak needs. You are right, he needs to do step one again before the NEW step 2. I hope folks notice the jailbreak index (though it is crude yet, but at least it has the links). Be sure to get a forum mod to add any new JB threads you create too. And move obsolete stuff into a spoiler section (but keep it for website archaeology purposes).
Old 07-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #1163
knc1
Going Viral

DGA-1 top post updated.
Comments please.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #1164
Vievioor
Vievioor began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vievioor View Post
Hi. I have PW2 (...) Unfortunately I can't jailbrake it
Hell yeah, it worked! It was of course human error, my mistake. At a time when the title says "Run ;fc-cache in the search bar." I thought jb start something there and I have to wait for it. This post helped me understand what I'm doing wrong - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=526, where is written:

Quote:
when the Jailbreak tells you in the notification bar to run ;fc-cache in the search bar - open the Kindle Search (looking glass Icon on newer touch enabled devices) and simply type in: ;fc-cache
followed by enter.
It was a command to me that I have to enter ";fc-cache" in search bar. I think that people who have "Jailbreak failed" doing the same mistake
Vievioor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #1165
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vievioor View Post
- - - -
It was a command to me that I have to enter ";fc-cache" in search bar. I think that people who have "Jailbreak failed" doing the same mistake
Those people should instead try the current, supported, jail break procedure.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #1166
Slusho64
Slusho64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I had the jailbreak installed and I just connected to the internet long enough for it to download the latest update, so it updated. Now my screen savers aren't appearing. I've tried restarting the framework in screen savers menu in the Kindle launcher and restarting by holding down the power button and selecting restart (not sure if there's any difference), as well as disabling and re-enabling the screen savers hack. Should I reinstall the hotfix in the OP?
Slusho64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #1167
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
After a firmware update you must ALWAYS reinstall any update_*.bin style hacks.

Reinstall the screensavers hack.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #1168
elenderg
elenderg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 White (2015) WiFi
I just want to say thanks guy, It really worked for me, I didn't have any hope, but it worked.
elenderg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #1169
Slusho64
Slusho64 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
After a firmware update you must ALWAYS reinstall any update_*.bin style hacks.

Reinstall the screensavers hack.
Okay thanks, that worked. Installed the update bin, stuck the screen savers update bin in the mrpackages directory, ran the MR Packages Installer, and now it's all good.
Slusho64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #1170
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenderg View Post
I just want to say thanks guy, It really worked for me, I didn't have any hope, but it worked.
That is great.

But confusing, your device info lists only a "Paperwhite" which means the first model (PW or PW1 nickname) and this thread's method will not work on a PW1 (it requires fw-5.6.5 and the PW1 doesn't run anything more recent than 5.6.1.1).

Please use the first six characters of your device's serial number and this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
To find out what the nickname of your model is at this site.

You will need that information to pick the correct add-in versions.
All of our update_*.bin format packages are 'model locked'.

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking