Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 AM   #1126
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
you installed the jailbreak before or after the 5.81 update?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:22 AM   #1127
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
you installed the jailbreak before or after the 5.81 update?
I already had the JB. Used the hotfix after the update.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 AM   #1128
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oumlaut View Post
I already had the JB. Used the hotfix after the update.
Just to be clear: hotfix was installed before the update?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #1129
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Just to be clear: hotfix was installed before the update?
Yes. You need renew it after the firmware update.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #1130
Stiehler
Doctor Who ?
Stiehler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I need to reinstall the hotfix and the Phyton after you upgrade to 5.8.1 ?
Stiehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #1131
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiehler View Post
I need to reinstall the hotfix and the Phyton after you upgrade to 5.8.1 ?
Yes, the hotfix handling FW 5.8.1 should be reinstalled.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #1132
HBH_AU
Enthusiast
HBH_AU began at the beginning.

Device: KV
I'm a total newbie & only just found out that my brand new Kindle Voyage needs to be jailbroken in order for me to sort my many non-amz ebooks into collections

And my Voyage already has firmware 5.8.1 on it.

I suspect this means that I can't jailbreak it, can I?

I'm not up to cracking open the case & attacking the innards... So I suspect I just have to live without collections... Really really hoping a way of dealing with 5.8.1 eventuates.

Last edited by HBH_AU; 06-24-2016 at 02:41 PM.
HBH_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #1133
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBH_AU View Post
I'm a total newbie & only just found out that my brand new Kindle Voyage needs to be jailbroken in order for me to sort my many non-amz ebooks into collections

And my Voyage already has firmware 5.8.1 on it.

I suspect this means that I can't jailbreak it, can I?

I'm not up to cracking open the case & attacking the innards... So I suspect I just have to live without collections... Really really hoping a way of dealing with 5.8.1 eventuates.
"eventuates"? Eventually it will, and I expect we will see it RSN...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #1134
kalyy
Enthusiast
kalyy began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
After updating to 5.8.1 (which I regret doing) I reinstalled the hotfix.
Today I had to deregister my Kindle and got a warning message about my Kindle no longer being a test device or something... It was in Spanish, I don't remember the exact words.
Do I have to reinstall something? Everything seems to be working just fine.
kalyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #1135
HBH_AU
Enthusiast
HBH_AU began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
"eventuates"? Eventually it will, and I expect we will see it RSN...
My apologies, I am over-tired & only now realise that my use of 'eventuates' might sound dismissive of all the hard work put into this code. Not my intention at all - I am in awe of anyone who is able to look 'under the hood' & work with these devices. And extremely grateful for their dedication & hard work
HBH_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #1136
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBH_AU View Post
My apologies, I am over-tired & only now realise that my use of 'eventuates' might sound dismissive of all the hard work put into this code. Not my intention at all - I am in awe of anyone who is able to look 'under the hood' & work with these devices. And extremely grateful for their dedication & hard work
No, not dismissive. Clever way of saying you will wait for a non-invasive jailbreak. No apology needed.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #1137
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyy View Post
Today I had to deregister my Kindle and got a warning message about my Kindle no longer being a test device or something... It was in Spanish, I don't remember the exact words.
Restart your kindle TWICE. That should reinstall MKK (I think). If not, install MKK youself. That will eliminate the "test kindle" warning.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #1138
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyy View Post
That will happen any time you change the registration status.

As advised above, try just re-booting it (with the power button) twice, and/or re-run the 'hotfix' package.

Keep a copy of that 'hotfix' package handy if you think you will remain undecided about having it registered or not.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #1139
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Stiehler: Unless you had a blindingly old JB version installed, you don't even need to reinstall the hotfix after an official update. If something's wonky (probably Kindlets), just do a full reboot, that should put everything back in order.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #1140
miomaz
miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Hi, I just applied the Jailbreak and Hotfix (in this order) to my PW3. I got the "jailbreak successful" message in the Info bar. I then moved the hotfixe .bin file onto my kindle and ejected and disconnected my kindle. I was distracted by someone and wanted to check if I had but the .bin file onto my kindle, so I reconnected the kindle to the computer. However I didn't find the same .bin file in my root directory, The filename had changed (though the size of the re-named .bin file was identical, 62kb, to the hotfix file). At this point I debated deleting this new file, or leaving it be and simply updating the kindle. I chose the latter. Now Im not sure if the hotfix was applied or not.

questions:

1. Is there a way to check if the hotfix was successfully installed?
2. is there a step by step guide for installing KUAL specifically for PW3? (since the main thread speaks of first figuring out which model one has, but not how to go about installing KUAL after one figures this out. Quite possibly Im blind).

Thanks For your Time

Kindle information:

Serial Number: G090 G105 XXXX XXXX
Firmware vers: Kindle 5.6.5 (27030300038)

Last edited by issybird; 06-25-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Serial number redacted.
miomaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking