Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
seanbob
Enthusiast
seanbob is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Save Duplicate Titles to Disk?

Currently, I save my books to disk using the following template:
{author_sort}/{series:|- | -}/{series_index:||)} {title}/{title} - {authors}

This creates a very clean folder structure sorted by author, then by series (if applicable), then by title. It's worked great, until...

I discovered that it only saves one version of duplicate titles in my library. For example, I have 2 different versions of Huck Finn, both by Mark Twain, but Save to Disk overwrites the first version when saving the second version.

I've considered using Publishers or Internal IDs to set the duplicate titles apart, but since these tags would be added to every book and not just the duplicates, I'd be sacrificing the clean folder structure that I prefer. So I'm hoping there's an expert out there who can help me do the "impossible."

Can anybody help me "Save to Disk" duplicate titles without sacrificing the clean folder structure that I currently enjoy? Thanks in advance!
seanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Seems the obvious way to do this is to rename the files. You could possibly use a custom column which would be blank for most books but seems a bit complex.
If you use Roman numerals (ie. Huck Finn I, Huck Finn II) it would classier than V1 or V2 IMO.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
seanbob
Enthusiast
seanbob is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thanks for the push in the right direction!

Even though it took a bit more time than I had intended, the end result is certainly worth the extra effort. Here's what I did in case it helps anybody else out there:

1) Downloaded and installed the very useful "Find Duplicates" plugin for Calibre.
2) Created a new user metadata field labeled "Version" using "Add your own columns" under Preferences.
3) Ran the plugin to locate all duplicate titles in my library.
4) For each duplicate title, I assigned text to its new "Version" metadata tag. In my case, I used an abbreviated form of the publisher's name.
5) Adjusted my Save to Disk template to add "[version]" after the book title when that tag is not empty:

{author_sort}/{series:|- | -}/{series_index:||)} {title} {#version:|[|]}/{title} - {authors}

Now, my Save to Disk output looks something like this when exporting duplicate titles:

Twain, Mark/Huck Finn [Penguin]/Huck Finn - Mark Twain.epub
Twain, Mark/Huck Finn [Random House]/Huck Finn - Mark Twain.epub

The only downside that I can see is having to manually maintain duplicate titles in the library, but since I'll rarely add titles that I already have, this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Once again...
seanbob is offline   Reply With Quote