Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #31
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I rarely finish a book in bed right before sleeping, though, because I prefer to start a new novel right away and let it suck me in.
That's another interesting topic..... do you immediately start a new book when you finish one, or have a little break between them.

I like to have a pause after reading a book, particularly if its a book I've really enjoyed, which is one of the reasons I like finishing a book before going to sleep. I can then start a new book on a fresh day.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 AM   #32
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
I like to have a pause, I like to go back and review the book I just completed in my mind.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #33
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My ritual for ending a book is to open the next book I plan to read and start reading.
Apache
^this
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #34
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
What I usually do is mark the book as "read" and add it to my "finished not backed up" collection in Marvin (so I remember to export the notes and stuff before I delete it from my phone). Then I go to Goodreads and mark it as read/give it a rating.

I do like starting a new book right away, even if I'm about to go to bed; it gives me something to look forward to the next day, lol.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
So what do you tend to do just before you end your book? Or do you just finish it and pick another one?
I usually just finish one book and move onto another. I do take the time to update my 2014 book list, add an entry to the What are we reading? thread, and mark it as read with a score in my calibre database.

If a book has a very satisfying ending, I might stop reading for the rest of that bit of 'reading time' to just enjoy the feeling of the ending for a bit.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #36
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
I'm pretty much with Apache. But I have been really gutted to finish a book. Really upset to lose contact with the characters and to know that I'll never again read it for the first time. Have even been known to cry, but in a 'goodness me it's dusty in this room' sort of way'

God its liberating to be able to confess that to peeps that understand....
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #37
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
I don't know if it's a ritual but I always try to leave the very last few pages until I am in my bedroom. I don't know why, but it seems that it's the most comfortable place to end a story at. I have 47 pages left of "Before I go to sleep" and really want to end it later tonight at home instead of completing it while commuting.

So what do you tend to do just before you end your book? Or do you just finish it and pick another one?
Wow, I do exactly the same. I really don't like to finish a good book in a place i consider not worthy (noisy, too hot or too cold, etc), so i start a new book and leave that one for my bed.

I also stop and think a bit about the book i just read, especially if the book was very good. I find starting immediately another book without reflecting about what i just read such a waste and akin to eating too much food or drinking too much wine without having those moments when you just stop and let the flavours fill and develop in your mouth.

If the book is not too good (and i made the decision not to leave it halfway), i don't mind finishing it wherever I am. I feel more relieved than annoyed by breaking that habit/ritual.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #38
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, keep this under your hat, but when I finish reading an Ebook I first prepare a transcript and report for my Martian Overlord Masters and then...

Wow, so many of you are more Anal than I am, with Finished Booklists, etc., I'm amazed. If I can't remember I read something I either should not have bothered to read it, or I should read it again!

I don't know about you lot, but I find re-reading a story can often be a pleasant experience of renewed discovery. I also find that depending on how long ago I read something and how much my circumstances have changed, or what I've been reading lately, that I relate to it in a completely different way.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #39
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Well, keep this under your hat, but when I finish reading an Ebook I first prepare a transcript and report for my Martian Overlord Masters and then...
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #40
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Very interesting thread. Like arturg, I prefer to finish a good book at home, in my reading chair by the fireplace. ( How's that for a cliche? That lets me savour the moment, react, think about it, etc in private. I also tend to need a bit of time before starting a new book.

This mostly applies to fiction. I do read in bed every night, but only non-fiction that is interesting, but just slightly boring. I'd stay awake too long reading fiction in bed.

Last edited by Victoria; 01-29-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #41
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I finish the book, and depending on my location and time of day, I'll stop reading (i.e. I'm in bed, around bed time) or I'll start a new book.

If I don't have the next book ready, I might postpone finishing the book until I have the next book at my fingertips.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #42
moonshot
Connoisseur
moonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdommoonshot is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: Kobo touch
I guess saving the last few pages suggests you are reading a page turner or at least a gripping story.

Some books are a struggle to finish.
moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #43
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I will generally start on the next book, and delete from my ereader and next time I am on pc (within the next 12 hours) mark off on goodreads.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #44
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I do any book savoring before I start a book. A new/unread book by a favorite author or a book that sounds really promising will have me practically drooling in anticipation. Additional savouring goes on as I read. Sad to say some unsavouring goes on as well. The book I read yesterday, was book 6 in a series I enjoyed and while not terrible, just was not nearly as good IMO. Not that that will stop me from reading number 7 but my pre-savouring will be pretty minimal.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #45
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
If I'm reading a book that I'm really enjoying, as I get closer to the ending, I find that I put the book down more often and do something else like go online or play a game, just to make the book last longer. Although I carry an ereader around with me, I'm not often in a place where time allows me to use it away from home.

I will read in bed before I go to sleep, and if I finish a book, I will choose a new one to read and start a few pages, just to have a book ongoing. My mind usually wanders about thinking about what I've read that day, before I doze off; it's less stressful than thinking about real life.

I read every day. I don't think that I could go a day without doing so. It is my addiction.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote