Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
My solution to the Sony Lighted cover having no closing mechanism

Hey all,

As we know, the Sony Lighted cover has nothing to keep it closed. No strap, no magnet, nothing.

Well, I've found me a very simple and elegant solution.

The Smak-dab kindle clip. I had one for my K3 and thought to give it a try on the lighted case.

Works great. It is nice snug fit when the case is closed. Not too tight, not loose - really it is perfect tightness.

When you are reading, the clip can be placed at the top of the reader and stays put nicely. It has the added benefit of reducing the the light glare on the glossy reader edge.

Granted if your case is stowed in such a way that there is a lot of movement and/or there are other items in your bag, the clip could get knocked off. But that won't be a concern for me.

Some pictures.

As a bit of an aside, I think this case is really quite good. I know there have been some comments on its quality and what not. I think the quality is fine and it protects the reader really well.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even though the clip is covered, it seems it leaves scratches on the reader's edge when clipped at the top. Nothing a small piece of electrical tape won't fix.
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Great solution!

But... the lighted cover has no closing magnet? Really? One more step down from the previous generations? The covers for my 900, 350 and 950 all have magnets - both the lighted and non-lighted ones... I had no idea.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Mmmm...

My designer fastening doesn't need tape to protect the reader, is handy for keeping notes attached (in or out - very valuable for us forgetful types), can, should you need it, be coloured to match the cover, stops a bit of "slipage" on reading stands etc.., and is very reasonably priced.

It's a 3/8" x 6" elastic band - if uncoloured, it does look, well, a bit more "rugged", shall we say, than the elegant clip - but I also don't need to worry too much about losing it !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
foghat
Evangelist

I was thinking about using a rubber band as well. And perhaps taking out the reader, laying the band along the case and then snapping the reader back in - sandwiching the band between the reader and case so it would always be 'attached'. It would function similar to the k3 cases from amazon.

But in the end went with something that, imo, looks a little more 'professional' for my $50 cover.

I can also attach the clip to the side (battery cover) when in use and do not have to worry about scratching.

And yes, truly, pathetically, there is no closing mechanism from the 'factory'
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
nindustrial
Enthusiast
nindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernindustrial exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: PRS-T1
Similar to what foghat suggested, check out my similar el-cheapo book-elastic-band 'solution'. Rather than a standard-fare rubber-band, why not one of those elastic-fabric bits easily available from any sewing/fabric type store? Choose your own colour that way!

Mine is a re-purposed elastic-fabric band lifted from an old used Moleskine-type notebook. With the standard Sony cover (no-light version), just place the elastic strip on the inside before snapping the reader into place; the felt 'cushion' in the case holds it tight enough against the Reader.

Another nice thing is that it loops around and can hold the cover-open against the back too. You may need to reposition to find the exact level of tautness you want.

I'm happy with it - inexpensive, and makes the cover-case so much more useful. It looks professional enough to me, like all things subjective to personal taste.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	80505   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	80506   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	80507   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	80508   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	80509  

Last edited by nindustrial; 12-29-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added info
nindustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
I really like your solution, looks great to me!
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote