Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Does anyone browse the darknet library before buying an ebook?

Since we can't browse at ebook stores, does anyone use the darknet 'library' for browsing before actually buying the ebooks?

Last edited by Jellby; 08-02-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in the title
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I usually check google books and see if there is a preview available. A lot of times you can get a pretty big hunk of preview from there.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nope, but I sometimes Google to see if books I'd like to read are available for sale, and I've seen how easy it is to find pirated books for download.

Edit: I've never actually intentionally downloaded one, but I clicked on one link and it started to download a PDF of the book I was looking for. Opps.

Last edited by carld; 07-31-2010 at 01:03 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No, rather the opposite. I first browse the various stores and when it's not available there (either because it's simply not available or because they don't want to sell to me), I'll browse the darknet and get the book from there.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
No, rather the opposite. I first browse the various stores and when it's not available there (either because it's simply not available or because they don't want to sell to me), I'll browse the darknet and get the book from there.
Same here. I do try stores first. But if the price is unreasonable (and I'm usually eager to give money away for things I want) then I'll get it by other means.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Same here.

I am not really worried about DRM or price as they do not mean a jot if I cannot actually even buy the ebook due to geographic restrictions.

Geographic restrictions force me to make the choice of obtaining a desired ebook from the darknet. I would be quite happy to buy the ebook if I could.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Same here. I do try stores first. But if the price is unreasonable (and I'm usually eager to give money away for things I want) then I'll get it by other means.
A seller has the right to put whatever price they wish on their products, just as you have the choice to decide whether or not to buy at that price. But I don't personally believe that one has the "right" to "get it by other means" simply because one feels that it's too expensive. Just read something else instead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

I'll usually check my local library system and see if a book I want is available and place a hold. Most cases it is. I only tap the "Darknet" for hard to find vintage titles.

Must admit I have see whats available and it is tempting. But why go there when most everything is at the library for free anyway.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Well I try bookstores first, and if available I will buy. You mention if the price is unreasonable, well for me if the price is higher than I value the ebook to be worth I wont buy it (I wont look for it on the darknet either). I keep tabs on the book to see if it drops over time. There are plenty of other books out there that I want to read. If one is too high I can wait. The darknet is a last resort because of geographic restrictions (however lately my purchases have been mainly from Baen so no issues there).

For me the only real places I buy books are Baen and Kobo (I don't bother with Borders Australia or Angus and Robertson, which for some reason they are at times are priced a little higher than Kobo), and for some reason readwithoutpaper do not provide any gst information on invoice/receipts.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Nope - I use legal stores and take my pick from whatever books they want to offer me ... I am rarely displeased with my choices and in doing so I have read authors I would, otherwise, have not enjoyed ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I've always said that I wouldn't consider darknet if the books were available legally, and I recently got to put my money where my mouth is when about 75% of the Nero Wolfe books finally became available on Amazon. It was a big nut, but I bought 'em all, and was happy to do it.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hey guys, do I need to remind you AGAIN that you never know who is reading this thread. It is OK to keep some questions to oneself sometimes. If you do not care what you publicize -- for all posterity -- then you also put others in danger. Discretion please.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Since we can't browse at ebook stores, does anyone use the darknet 'library' for browsing before actually buying the ebooks?
What ebook shops are you using that won't let you see a list of what is available and read short samples of the ones you are interested in?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
What ebook shops are you using that won't let you see a list of what is available and read short samples of the ones you are interested in?
Yes, this is a very good question.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hey guys, do I need to remind you AGAIN that you never know who is reading this thread. It is OK to keep some questions to oneself sometimes. If you do not care what you publicize -- for all posterity -- then you also put others in danger. Discretion please.
Paranoid much?

There is a difference between publicly confessing to murder and to doing something that almost everyone considers to be about as serious as recoding a game without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote