Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Free PDF - “First Look: Microsoft Office 2010”

Microsoft just released a 202 page PDF which describes all the new features in the next version of Microsoft Office (currently in beta).

http://cid-d7229b252a0ad6f2.skydrive...93876ebook.pdf
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks Nate ... I think.

I'm crossing my fingers that Win 2010 will basically be a repeat of Win 2003. I STILL have to search for basic function in Win 07, or as I call it, "that d@mned toolbar."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
crap! It looks the same, with the stupid "ribbon" toolbar.

Am I getting old and chrochety about new software, or do you hate the "ribbon" also?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
How about "menus". Great feature.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
crap! It looks the same, with the stupid "ribbon" toolbar. Am I getting old and chrochety about new software, or do you hate the "ribbon" also?
Well, I can't answer for you, but I am getting old and crotchety about new software that doesn't give me the option to create my own workspace the way I like to work. I, too, dislike the ribbon and much prefer the way Office 2003 works. I have Office 2007 Ultimate and never installed it because of the ribbon.

What frustrates me even more is that Microsoft asked me (along with a lot of others) whether we liked the ribbon and the resounding response was NO!!!!!! But user studies show that new users of Office (are there any? ) and users who do very simple tasks like writing a letter find the ribbon helpful. So why not give us the option?

MS says that the ribbon anticipates a user's needs based on what the user is doing thus the ribbon is more efficient. When I tried it, it never correctly anticipated my needs and forced me to hunt for my macros and custom toolbars.

Unless my clients for the issue, I won't be upgrading to Office 2010 from Office 2003.

I'm in a similar bind with Windows 7. I want to do the upgrade but because I'm still using XP, the only way to do it is by fresh install. I'd probably be willing to do that if Win 7 didn't cost me more than $25, figuring the final cost when I include all the time I would need to spend reinstalling my work software will run into 4 figures. But I see no sense in upgrading from XP, which works very well, to Win 7 wholly on my dime.

I suppose I'll make the transition when I replace my current computer, but that won't happen for a few more years -- this one was custom built to last a very long time.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My experience with many users has been that if people learn Office using the "ribbon bar" system on Office 2007 they find it natural and intuitive. It's us "old timers" who learned on old versions of Office who find it difficult to use. You need to "unlearn" the old menu way of doing things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Smile

I, on the other hand, LOVE ribbons. Being designed (as in MS products) and used right they can save a lot of time and effort.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I've gotten mostly use to Office 2007 since starting my new job over the summer and having 2007 on both my office PC and work laptop.

I'd say I like it better for Word and Powerpoint now that I've got used to it and no where everything I need is. Excel I still struggle with some, but probably because I very seldomly use excel since the vast majority of my data work is done in SPSS, with some in programs like Stata, Lisrel etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
And though still pretty limited compared to TeX or InDesign, Word now offers support for OpenType features like kerning and ligatures. It's not all there yet, but it's much better than in the past.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
htaylor
bookworm
htaylor began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500 and 505
personally I use Open Office and kike it.
htaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
And though still pretty limited compared to TeX or InDesign, Word now offers support for OpenType features like kerning and ligatures. It's not all there yet, but it's much better than in the past.
You're mixing word processor with publishing pre-production software. They're not the same and serves different purposes.

Although there's a tendency to bloat software with all new features, that comes from the surrounding areas of expertise.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My experience with many users has been that if people learn Office using the "ribbon bar" system on Office 2007 they find it natural and intuitive. It's us "old timers" who learned on old versions of Office who find it difficult to use. You need to "unlearn" the old menu way of doing things.
Yea, and that'd be why in an over-500 member organisation productivity increased across the board when they bit the bullet and got menuoffice, sure.

While new users may like it, it still lowers their productivity.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Damn, I'm still using Word 2000 on my PC, and 2004 for my Mac...I need to get with the program(s).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
13xforever
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
While new users may like it, it still lowers their productivity.
Now, that's debatable. Proof, please?
I think MS made their decisions not on a wink of their mind, but after extensive usability experiments. Moreover, extending this control further in their apps is proving this point even more.

I know, a lot of people dislike it, but it seems that they hate it on the basis of that "everyone hates it". It's the same story as with Vista.

Now we have Windows 7 (which in reality is simply a tweaked Vista) and suddenly everyone likes it. Now we have Ribbon 2.0 and I think a lot of people will switch their sides too.

Last edited by 13xforever; 12-22-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
DawnFalcon
Banned

Yes, a lot will switch sides to OpenOffice. Couldn't agree more.