Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Mania - thriller/crime novel.

Rarely if ever have I read a book that is disturbing and enthralling in equal measures.
From the opening, disorientating chapters in which the reader is introduced breathlessly into the present, hurled to the past and dragged kicking back into the here and now, there is a masterfully crafted sense of paranoia and delusion, the purpose of which only becomes apparant towards the end.

The main protaganist is Nick Wilder, a down on his luck freelance photographer, whos job is to be first on the murder scene to scoop the pics. However, when his brother is vicously murdered on a night out with him, the blood-soaked, confused photographer immediately becomes a suspect. The subsequently unfortunate ability to appear at murder scenes before the police do does not endear him to Seattle's boys in blue. A series of horrific murders (I genuinely had to turn away from my Sony reader once or twice and wince)provides the framework for a tight, taut thriller that really delivers value for money

Despite his predicament, Nick is not a particularly likeable character from the very beginning. He is selfish,lazy and unpredictable, but is all the more human for it. Larsen's characters are all complex, real people who's traits and motivations are revealed slowly and deliberately. With each gruesome murder, and trust me they are gruesome, we are drawn into the intricate web of suspicion, betrayal and intrigue.

This is a compelling thriller, with great characters, storylines and the inevitable twists. Craig Larsen really is a name to watch out for, and I look forward to his next title.

Mania is perfect for a cold winters night with the lights down and the fire blazing!

I bought the eBook at Directebooks.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Pretty good read. Caught my eye because I was a newspaper photographer for 17 years, before I started teaching. I will look for Larson's next book.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Have been reading but I gotta say I am having a terrible time keeping up with it. All the jumping around, back and forth, is perplexing and not sure I care for it. Like the style of writing though and that right now is all that is keeping me going. I really have no clue what is going on after 150 pages.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Yeah I would compare it to the first time I watched Plup Fiction. The jumping around in the story was a bit of a mess; but i liked it.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Stick with it Mr Gauth!
I was exactly the same at that point in the book - even considered stopping which is unusual for me! It clears up from teh mid section on and it all makes sense in the end.

If theres anything in particular you want to know about the book or his writing style, let me know as I am interviewing Craig Larsen later on this week.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I might add that it's also available from Amazon for $4.47 (US), at this location:

http://www.amazon.com/Mania-ebook/dp...8543529&sr=1-1

It's also available from Sony, for $5.31

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-18-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior

Dont forget poor old little Directebooks where the book is available at $3.91!
http://www.directebooks.com/ebook_de...6023120&prov=1