Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Waterstones Ebook store to Launch midday 04/09/08

Woohoo UK Ebooks

Store to launch in just over 12 hours at waterstones.com

Source = http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...o?pPageID=1576

Last edited by stustaff; 09-03-2008 at 05:54 PM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #2
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
At this precise moment of writing, it appears to be live already. There's not a huge amount of books yet, so presumably it's going to take time to get them listed and up.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Prices don't seem too bad for UK based books, but I get the feeling I'll often be waiting for a US based release due to them still being cheaper
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Prices don't seem too bad for UK based books, but I get the feeling I'll often be waiting for a US based release due to them still being cheaper
They do seem awfully expensive.

One completely random example: "Ashes of Worlds" by Kevin J. Anderson:

Waterstones price: £12.99 = US$23.17 (using the xe.com exchange rate)
Fictionwise price: $11.58 (or $9.85 for club members)

That's less than half the price that Waterstones are charging.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Bear in mind that most people who're just starting with ebooks won't even think about looking abroad for ebooks and won't want the hassle of converting them. I was thinking more that Fictionwise books tend to start off at $20-25 when the hardback version is out, which isn't all that much different.

But personally, I doubt I'll buy from the Waterstones store much if at all, not least as I still don't like my books being tied to one device, which although ePub is nice, with the DRM they still are as no other device currently supports it
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #6
Megapode
Megapode began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi, new to these forums as eagerly awaiting the delivery of shiny new 505 via Waterstones...
Really like this idea and keen to partake but already disappointed to see that many ebooks on Waterstones are more expensive than the 'hardcopy' version...!
Not in all cases it has to be said - but found enough examples already from a quick trawl through...
Megapode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
Selzernium
Enthusiast
Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They do seem awfully expensive.

One completely random example: "Ashes of Worlds" by Kevin J. Anderson:

Waterstones price: £12.99 = US$23.17 (using the xe.com exchange rate)
Fictionwise price: $11.58 (or $9.85 for club members)

That's less than half the price that Waterstones are charging.
I think you are misled by the sites strange layout, they have so few ebooks that all the ebooks make one category in the left pane? alongside pbook genres like sci-fi.
What I mean is the books are organised like this..
ebooks <---- (all genres!)
science <---- pbook
fiction <---- pbook

So If I am not completely mistaken the waterstones book is pbook while the fictionwise's dito is ebook hence not a correct comprison.
Selzernium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
amandajarrett
amandajarrett is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS 505
rip-off prices

I expected the prices to be more than US prices - fair enough, just about everything costs more here than in the US - but the fact they are selling ebooks for more money than PB and HB equivalents is very hard to swallow.
eg
City of the Sun by David Levien

ebook £8
hardback £6

and both show a recommended price of £10.

If Waterstones are selling ebooks at the price (or more) of pb's they won't be selling them for long. An ebook is a wonderful thing but it is NOT the equivalent of a hard copy.
amandajarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:27 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selzernium View Post
I think you are misled by the sites strange layout, they have so few ebooks that all the ebooks make one category in the left pane? alongside pbook genres like sci-fi.
What I mean is the books are organised like this..
ebooks <---- (all genres!)
science <---- pbook
fiction <---- pbook

So If I am not completely mistaken the waterstones book is pbook while the fictionwise's dito is ebook hence not a correct comprison.
You're absolutely right! Thank you for the correction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Hmmm seems really good for this example even cheaper than fictionwise

Fictionwise
Into the Out of by Alan Dean Foster
Regular Club
You Pay: $8.99 $7.64

Waterstones
Into the Out Of by Alan Dean Foster
Format: Ebook
£3.62 - List price: £4.53 - You save: £0.91

Format: Paperback 384 pages
£14.99

Format: Hardback 384 pages
£29.99

BIG savings for this.

Amazon Pback price
Into the Out of (Paperback)
by Alan Dean Foster (Author)
RRP: £14.99
Price: £14.24 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over £15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
You Save: £0.75 (5%)

Last edited by stustaff; 09-04-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

One big problem! you cant search just the ebook section!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use advanced search and select eBook in the Format dropdown.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
amandajarrett
amandajarrett is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS 505
Advanced search seems hit and miss to me. If I input an author and specify only ebooks but there aren't any ebooks, it returns all the hard copy books by that author instead. Which is all very well if you are paying attention, but if like me you are doing ten things at once you can find yourself filling our shopping cart with paperbacks by accident.
amandajarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Use advanced search and select eBook in the Format dropdown.
Doesn't work. I still get paper books in the search results unless I put in the author and title. But if I leave either out, I get non-ebooks if there are any.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote