Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
szarroug3
Zealot
szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW2
[GUI Plugin] X-Ray Creator

Shelfari has officially started redirecting their pages to Goodreads. We've updated the plugin to support Goodreads but since they don't have a lot of data (a lot of characters and locations have no description at all), your generated x-rays will probably have a lot less data. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this. I'm investigating getting character data from other places. Thanks.

I've created a Calibre plugin that creates and sends x-ray files to kindle.

Some background information on X-Ray and other Kindle Files:
X-Ray allows you to get information on key characters and terms from shelfari. You can do this in one of a few ways.
1. You can highlight the word in question and if the x-ray file has information on it, a popup with a brief description will show. It will also show you where this character has been mentioned in the past (will show page number and excerpt where mention occurred).
2. You can click X-Ray and search for the word either by looking through the list or using the search bar. Clicking on the word will show you the same popup from #1.

It also has a notable clips section which show quotes from shelfari. If there are not enough shelfari quotes found, the plugin will add more random excerpts so there are least 20 notable clips.

Author profiles allow you to see information on the author such as a bio, other books by the other, etc. You can see this by going to "About the author" on the menu while the book is open.

Start actions show you a description of the book along with other information such as the reading time and the rating (retrieved from Goodreads). It will also allow you to mark the book as currently-reading on Goodreads but you need to be signed into Goodreads on the device and you need to have wifi enabled and connected for this to work. There will be a pop-up showing you this information when you open a new book but you can also see it by going to "About this book" on the menu while the book is open.

End actions show you recommendations for other books based on the current book (retrieved from Goodreads). It will also allow you to mark the book as read on Goodreads but you need to be signed into Goodreads on the device and you need to have wifi enabled and connected for this to work. There will be a pop-up showing you this information when you reach the end of the book.

Note: These files work only work on Amazon products such as the Kindle PW. For more information on X-Ray files, see here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...7-239A35EB4119

Github Page: https://github.com/szarroug3/X-Ray_Calibre_Plugin

This plugin will allow you to:
1. Set book specific preferences (This screen may take a while to open if doesn't have the ASIN and shelfari url set in the settings already as it will be searching for them; Use "," or ", " as a separator for words in aliases list)
Auto associate split aliases, when enabled, will split aliases up. For example, if a character on goodreads named "Vin" has a Goodreads alias of "Valette Renoux", this option will add "Valette" and "Renoux" as aliases. You may not want this in cases such as "Timothy Cratchit" who has a Goodreads alias of "Tiny Tim". Having this feature on would add "Tiny", and "Tim" as aliases which is not valid.
Input JSON must have format shown in "JSON Template" section below
2. Create/Update x-ray files for selected books
3. Send previously generated x-ray files to device
Note: Creating an x-ray file using this plugin will automatically search for and use the correct ASIN so you don't need to search for it.
Note: Highlighting words should work but I have not tested with a book that has DRM so I don't know if it will work for them.

JSON Template:
{"characters": {"Character1 Name": {"description": "Character1 Description",
"aliases": ["Character1 Alias1", ...]},
"Character2 Name": {"description": "Character2 Description",
"aliases": ["Character1 Alias2", ...]},
...},
"settings": {"Setting1 Name": {"description": "Setting1 Description",
"aliases": ["Setting1 Alias1", ...]},
...},
"quotes": ["Quote1", "Quote2", ...]}

Preferences:
1. Send files to device if connected
- After creating files, files will automatically be sent to device
2. Create files that don't already exist when sending to device
- When sending previously generated files, files will be generated for selected books that haven't already been created
3. Auto associate split aliases, when enabled, will split aliases retrieved from Goodreads up
- i.e If a character on goodreads named "Vin" has a Goodreads alias of "Valette Renoux", this option will add
"Valette" and "Renoux" as aliases. You may not want this in cases such as "Timothy Cratchit" who has a
Goodreads alias of "Tiny Tim". Having this feature on would add "Tiny", and "Tim" as
aliases which is not valid.
4. Overwrite local files that already exist when creating files
- When using the Create/Update Files function, this will decide whether or not to delete local files that already exist
5. Overwrite files on device that already exist when sending files
- When using the Send Files function, this will decide whether or not to delete files on the device that already exist
6. Files to create/send
- This will let you choose what type of files to create and/or send
- You must choose at least one.
7. Book types to create files for
- Selection of formats to consider when creating and sending files.
- You must choose at least one.
8. If device has both (mobi and azw3) formats, prefer
- This will choose which format to send files for if your device has both file formats
- This matters because there are offsets in the x-ray file that determine whether something that is highlighted is
part of the x-ray
- If you are sure you only have one format of the book type on the device, this does not matter.

Theming:
You can place a file at "\calibre\resources\images\X-Ray Creator\icon.png" (in your calibre application directory) to the plugin's icon.

Testing:
This plugin has been tested using a Kindle PW2 on Windows 10 and Linux.
I am still working on testing some portions of it so if you do find a bug or want to request a feature, please let me know via Github or Mobileread.

Here are some screenshots of the plugin in action:
Plugin will show up on your toolbar (if you enable it - remember: when device is connected, there is a separate toolbar)

Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbar.PNG
Views:	2584
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	152646

You can set general preferences

Name:	preferences.PNG
Views:	2909
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	152645

You can set book specific preferences

Name:	book_preferences.PNG
Views:	2845
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	152642

Plugin will add job to job manager

Name:	job_manager.PNG
Views:	2563
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	152644

Plugin will list execution, success, and failure information in job details

Name:	job_details.PNG
Views:	2539
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	152643

Donate:
Attached Files
File Type: zip xray_creator_calibre_plugin_3_2_1.zip (117.9 KB, 90703 views)

Last edited by szarroug3; 02-18-2019 at 05:16 PM.
szarroug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is this an update to mjwilson's plugin from this thread?

Also, I think you forgot to attach it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think it, the link to the zip, was there before
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
szarroug3
Zealot
szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'szarroug3 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Sorry forgot to make a few changes. no this is not an update to anything.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szarroug3 View Post
Sorry forgot to make a few changes. no this is not an update to anything.
@szarroug3 - If you tell me what sort of plugin it is - i.e. Gui, Metadata, Output etc - then I'll put a 'prefix' on the threads Title.

And if you PM me, or another calibre mod, something like you see below he/she will put it in the plugin-index. Please try to retain the formatting.

Thanks for your efforts - without its optional plugins calibre wouldn't be anywhere near as useful to so many.

BR

Code:
[*][URL="https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218666"]allrecipes.com Recipe Reader[/URL]
[I]Create an ebook of recipes from allrecipes.com by entering the urls of interest.
Version: 1.0.0; Released: 07-24-2013; Calibre: 0.8.58; Author: Krittika Goyal; History: Yes; 
Platforms: Windows, OSX, Linux[/I]

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-18-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see the link to your GitHub repo: https://github.com/szarroug3/X-Ray_Calibre_Plugin

And the related repos:
https://github.com/szarroug3/X-Ray-Creator
https://github.com/szarroug3/X-Ray-Creator-2

So you've ported Ephemerality's more advanced work? Nice!
Will have to take this out for a spin...

@BR: GUI plugin

Code:
[*][URL="https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273189"]X-Ray Creator[/URL]
[I]A plugin to create X-Ray files for MOBI books
Version: 1.0.0; Released: 04-18-2016; Calibre: 0.9.29; Author: szarroug3; History:  No;
Platforms: Windows, OSX, Linux[/I]

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-18-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

What's JimmXinu got to do with it
Old 04-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
szarroug3
Zealot

@eschwartz - yeah the first 2 were attempts at a desktop version but yes i was going for a way to get Ephemerality's functionality but in a mass processing way.

@BetterRed - Thanks, programmatically (if that's what you're asking), it's an "Interface Plugin"; it updates the ASIN for a book if necessary, creates the x-ray file for the books and puts them in the correct location on the device so it could also be considered a metadata plugin or device plugin.. not really sure which one you'd consider it as
Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What's JimmXinu got to do with it
Maybe if you didn't post seconds after I finished editing it, you wouldn't have seen the half-finished state which still partially resembled the template I copy-pasted from.

@szarroug3,

An Interface Plugin is referred to in layman's speech (i.e. end-user readable index listing) as a GUI Plugin.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-18-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szarroug3 View Post
@eschwartz - yeah the first 2 were attempts at a desktop version but yes i was going for a way to get Ephemerality's functionality but in a mass processing way.

@BetterRed - Thanks, programmatically (if that's what you're asking), it's an "Interface Plugin"; it updates the ASIN for a book if necessary, creates the x-ray file for the books and puts them in the correct location on the device so it could also be considered a metadata plugin or device plugin.. not really sure which one you'd consider it as
@szarroug3 - hmmm, eschwartz says its a GUI plugin, I can't really test it as I don't have a Kindle. There is no list of plugin types, i.e. the groupings that exist are somewhat arbitrary.

Maybe you and eschwartz can come to an agreement as to where it should be placed in the list, he's my goto man on Kindley things

BR
Old 04-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Maybe if you didn't post seconds after I finished editing it, you wouldn't have seen the half-finished state which still partially resembled the template I copy-pasted from.
yeah - theducks reminded me about the template file in the index thread in a PM - I'm hoping he will massage it to make it generic.

BR
Old 04-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
@szarroug3 - hmmm, eschwartz says its a GUI plugin, I can't really test it as I don't have a Kindle. There is no list of plugin types, i.e. the groupings that exist are somewhat arbitrary.
No they are not. The groups should match the plugin groups in calibre. And which of the groups the plugin goes into is defined by the base class the plugin uses. In the index "GUI Plugin" is used instead of "User Interface Action Plugins". These plugins are based on "InterfaceActionBase". The big difference about these plugins to all the others is that the user starts them directly (toolbar button or menu somewhere) rather than as part of some other calibre action (Metadata source plugins are used as part a metadata download, Output plugins as part of a conversion).

If you install this plugin, it will appear in the "User Interface Action Plugins" group in calibre, so in the index it is a "GUI Plugin".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@davidfor - perhaps you can PM me a list of groups, I looked I couldn't find anything, but I admit to not reading the manual in detail.

If you can do that then I will incorporate it into PI Index Thread.

@szarroug3 - if a PI has a user interaction the convention is to include screen shots in the first post. The lack of anything contributed to my questioning of what sort of plugin this is.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-18-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
@davidfor - perhaps you can PM me a list of groups, I looked I couldn't find anything, but I admit to not reading the manual in detail.

If you can do that then I will incorporate it into PI Index Thread.
Open the calibre preferences and go to the plugins page. The list of groups should be obvious. The index doesn't have all groups listed as I don't think plugins have been created for all groups.

There might be groups missing from your preferences list. A group is only shown if you have plugins installed for that group. But, I can only think of two groups that don't have builtin plugins. These are "Edit Book Tool" for the editor plugins and one for the ebook viewer. I think that is just "Viewer", but, at the moment, I can't install the only viewer plugin I can find.

Also, the index doesn't have a "Store" section. I think the Store plugins are in the "GetBooks" thread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Of course - do you happen to know if that list is available as text, I can't be bothered OCRing a screen shot.

I have Diap's Toolbag and Christine Yu's TTS plugins, as you said they're in the Edit Book Tools and Viewer groups respectively

BR

Tags
x-ray