Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Papyrus e-Book device

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/18/p...m-at-students/

http://www.thegreenergrass.org/2008/04/papyrus.html

Seems like plans for new eBook/eInk devices are comming out left and right these days.

(Which is good.)

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 04-18-2008 at 05:39 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Seems a little pie in the sky to me.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just wanted to coment a bit on this.

First, it says the device will be inexpensive "for the student" about $100 because of the subscription model. Who is paying the subscription? I assume it would be the schools since they are already paying for text books. I also assume the are talking about primary and secondary public schools.

What about for college students. Who would pay for that subscription? If the college then they would only add this as a student fee anyway. Although, it if is cheaper than buying college textbooks I am all for it. then again, if you want to keep your text books... well who keeps there college textbooks except for maybe Drs. and Lawyers?

Others have put up the concept of a subscription based eBook service for fiction books too. Similar to a cell phone you could pay $49 bucks and get a Sony or Cybook or $100 for an iLiad in addition to maybe $19/mo all you can eat subscription to books. Would people pay that? Seems like it might work. How much are people paying for books a month now?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I place this right up there with the $399.00 Mac clone that's been all in the news this week, and next to the Ford-Cheyvolt-Toyoprius Hybrid just about to come out, if you can wait for just one more month, that gets 3000 miles on a single jar of Tang.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Do I get this right, they argue this device is right, because students are afraight to directly talk to the teacher, so they offer him a device to send him messages within a class room?

Hmm, when I don't understand something wrong, this you get when you let people with schizoid personality design/market a device

Might instead work on the cause why people are afraight (grammar school?) instead of the symptom.

Also the "screenshots" I see are in color. WTF? Are they completely off, or are they really wanting to do a *color* eInk for 100$?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
It seems to be based more on hopes rather than actual cost or limitation of e-ink technology. Thus, it may be a long time (if ever) before we can land our hands on an actual product. Since it is another 'concept' ebook device, I think it is alright to be removed from reality in some way. Who knows, it may come into existence earlier than we think when the right technology comes along.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
This device only exists as a product proposal developed by the Kaleidoscope product development consultancy (sponsors of The Green Grass website).
I don't exactly know where they got the $100 a unit and the pretty images show on their website ... However, if they can get somebody to buy the concept from them and actually produce and market the device, then I can't see how it could be a bad thing for schools ...
There are many initiatives out there to get schools on the "information super-highway", "e-age" (insert your own favourite cliché here). For example here in Australia the new Labor government has a pre-election promise to put computers to every classroom. Now if I was a company planning to produce these kinds of devices, I'd certainly be in Canberra doing a bit of lobbying and dropping a few proposals off.
There's money to be made there people...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
It's a concept car. It would seem to me to be a great idea to stimulate people to think about directions for future designs. Without them, people would just plod along. Just how many more incremental "improvements" to Windows do people really want from Microsoft, for example? (Those guys need to get out more.) Without concept ebook reader designs, we could be in the same boat in the future. But it's ridiculous to tout a concept, based on technologies that do not presently exist, as a product and then cite an expected price.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
"It would seem to me to be a great idea to stimulate people to think about directions for future designs."

I think we already have this concept in place, it's called Science Fiction. I hate companies that try to toot their own horn by pulling out stuff like this. Microsoft and IBM are two of the worst at this. Companies come out with a press release about a great new device, or thingy and tell us just how great our lives are going to be because of it. Then at the end of the announcement they let us know that if they are lucky, stay on course, have no unforeseen setbacks, and the planets align just right, we can expect to see some test ready units available sometime around 2025.

I try and run the other direction from those types of companies, making a mental note to try and never buy anything from them. One thing I admire about Apple Computer, love or hate them, is the fact they usually just keep quiet about what they are doing and only announce something when it's very close to release. The secrecy drives the press nuts as well as the fan base.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I just wanted to coment a bit on this.

Others have put up the concept of a subscription based eBook service for fiction books too. Similar to a cell phone you could pay $49 bucks and get a Sony or Cybook or $100 for an iLiad in addition to maybe $19/mo all you can eat subscription to books. Would people pay that? Seems like it might work. How much are people paying for books a month now?

BOb
the eBookwise-1150 is already available for free with a one year subscription for $19 a month or so. You get two books a month for that price.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Do they offer any other plans? I don't think two books a month would be that attractive to people who read enough to want to buy a reading device. I might do something Netflix-like. Unlimited books, no time limit, but they're borrowed rather than owned. You could vary the price based on how many books people wanted out at a time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Do they offer any other plans? I don't think two books a month would be that attractive to people who read enough to want to buy a reading device. I might do something Netflix-like. Unlimited books, no time limit, but they're borrowed rather than owned. You could vary the price based on how many books people wanted out at a time.
I am not sure what the plan is after the first year that includes the free Reader. You can check their site. http://www.filamentbooks.com/scripts...exe/eBookstore

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote