Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #1276
Ffan
Ffan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well that is true :P Like I said I went with chuncks of 20, but I'm back in November 2013 by now. I'm almost 100% positive that the problem was not evident back then.
Ffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #1277
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Keep in mind that the indexer also has a compact/cleanup/teardown process to kill unneeded content, which might in fact be worse than the actual indexing...
I think I have a device where it ends up falling on its ass every time, though it does end up getting killed after churning for a while...

Meaning the best way is probably just to the shut the framework down, clear the documents folder (/mnt/us/documents), clear the indexing db in the system folder (/mnt/us/system), clear the catalog db (/var/local/cc.db), and then start again w/ a trickle of books.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-13-2014 at 10:00 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #1278
Ffan

Well so now everything is gone, just cleared out the last group and it's still running at 100%. That's quite depressing.

"Meaning the best way is probably just to the shut the framework down, clear the documents folder (/mnt/us/documents), clear the indexing db in the system folder (/mnt/us/system), clear the catalog db (/var/local/cc.db), and then start again w/ a trickle of books. "

I'm gonna look into this.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #1279
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One liner of death:

Code:
stop framework && sleep 5 && rm -rf /mnt/us/system/* && rm -rf /mnt/us/documents/* && rm -f /var/local/cc.db && start framework
Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #1280
Ffan

Yep thanks, I googled 'em already. It actually looks like it worked. Maybe I should have started out with those folders ? :P
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #1281
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffan View Post
Well so now everything is gone, just cleared out the last group and it's still running at 100%. That's quite depressing.
It is probably now busy removing the index entries, one at a time.
Dumb program, glad I didn't write it, I would be: lab126 should be also.

Try the above "one liner" and just start over adding books, waiting for indexer to finish, adding books, waiting, ....

Hint: Cut and Paste that one liner, you don't want to fat finger it anywhere.

Hmmm....
I wonder if the Kindle indexer and the Linux Network Manager have any programmer's in common?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #1282
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And now, showlog -f is your new best friend to babysit the indexer .
Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 AM   #1283
Ffan

Sooo .... first of all, thanks again. Secondly, fun fact: all books are back. It took the Kindle half a day of instense indexing but (for now) it seems happy with all of them. Meaning, I still don't know what caused the problem.

Anyways ... "And now, showlog -f is your new best friend to babysit the indexer ." that would have been my next quesiton. How do I keep an eye on the indexer? Is the "showlog -f" the best way ? What do I have to look for, it gives alot of information from first glance ?

Also, for future reference, is there any way to sync the reading progress of all my books with calibre? Or any other usefull way to store this information for about 200 books ? ^^

Edit: Ok, a new day a new problem apparently =(. So I imported my Kindle collections again via Collection Manager. The problem is now I have them "double". I have the collections including the books, but the books also show up on the homescreen, just as if they weren't part of a collection ... for 37 pages. I tried deleting all collections and startet over for the same result. Any clues on what this could be related to ? I guess it is not "moving" the books but "copying", no clue why though.

Edit2: Don't know if this makes a difference but the problem is not evident when manually moving books into collections. Seems to be related to the "import from calibre" function.

Last edited by Ffan; 05-14-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #1284
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the thread for the KUAL launcher.
You should be able to see the thread on the collections manager.

Getting it "right" is a four (4) step process.
Did you do all four steps in the correct order?
Check the collections manager thread for details.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #1285
Ffan

Ok I move the question there.

But to answer your question. Ya I did. I mean it worked flawlessly before. I can't think of anything I chagend/ did differently.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #1286
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If you're following 'current' events, then yeah, I'm a fan of showlog -f in a dedicated terminal .

If you're tracking past stuff, piping showlog somewhere or poking in /var/log manually usually does the trick.

For performance issues, htop is always a good start to at least give you an idea of where the problem might be, because, indeed, the logs are pretty damn verbose, and that's not even in verbose/debug mode . Once you're more familiar with the system, you kinda get a 'feel' for what to watch/look for in the logs though.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #1287
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you're following 'current' events, then yeah, I'm a fan of showlog -f in a dedicated terminal .
- - - -
"dedicated terminal" ::
Oops - one of those bits of background information that we *nix people just assume everyone knows:

Once a user gets the remote command line terminal working (either telnet or ssh) - they think "that's it".
An assumption imprinted on the world of users by Operating Systems that charge you extra money to log on more than once at a time.

You can open and connect multiple terminal sessions at the same time to Linux (*nix) systems - even a Kindle.
There is some limit, but you will lose track of what you are doing in each of the different terminal sessions long before the Kindle looses track.

Go to: http://www.top500.org/statistics/sublist/#.U3S19tf7Yiw
Leave choices at default values **EXCEPT** for "OS Family" - set to "Linux".
Press submit -
Result: 482 of the worlds 500 top supercomputers are running Linux (the same Linux your Kindle runs - there is only one Linux).
(( two (2) of them run Windows ))

(Amazon's ec2 web services machine is #64 and the ec2 compute (batch) machine is #165 if your looking for them.
Just in case anyone thinks they don't have the horsepower to track what everyone is reading.)

Translation:
You can log on a lot more sessions than just one at a time under Linux.

Last edited by knc1; 05-15-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #1288
leo_CR
leo_CR began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hi.

I have a question, so, if this is not the place to ask about installation, I'm sorry and would be glad to be redirected.

So, I followed the steps to install koreader:

1. jailbroke the kindle (a pw2, v. 5.4.3.2)
2. installed mkk
3. This is the part I don't get, and feel kindly silly....

I went the wiki page of koreader, and followed the instruction provided there. I downloaded the zip file, and put the three files in root directory, as advised: koreader, launchpad and extensions. And then... nothing happened!!

in the first post here, I read I have to copy the relevant azw2 file in the documents folder, but I don't see any azw2 document in any of the folders.

In the running the kindlet section, it says:

Put KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 in documents folder.
Run it by clicking icon

But I cant find that document anywhere.

And, this question seems so noob as I have not found anyone asking that at the start of the post...

So, that's it. I need a little guide here. If anyone could tell me where to find it, I'd be really glad.

Thank you all in advance
leo_CR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #1289
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_CR View Post
in the first post here, I read I have to copy the relevant azw2 file in the documents folder, but I don't see any azw2 document in any of the folders.
You'll need to select Active Content from the Home screen drop-down menu to display KUAL.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #1290
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@leo_CR: If it makes more sense to you, just forget about the file extension, and assume this is a book. Just know that it needs to live in the documents folder, like any other book, you don't really care about what's already in there .

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified