Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Near miss with water damage, Square Trade warranty question

I had a near miss the other day with my K4B. I accidentally knocked it into the sink, and it was fully submerged for at least a second. Fortunately it appears to be working perfectly - there aren't even any screen defects that I can see. However, it led me to thinking about purchasing the 2-Year Square Trade warranty offered on Amazon. If I do buy it, I need to buy it before the end of the month, so I thought I'd ask some people here about it. Has anyone here ever purchased this warranty for their kindle? If so, did you ever find yourself needing it, and if you did, were the customer service reps for Square Trade easy to deal with?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I could be wrong, but I don't think they cover giving your electronic device a bath.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They do, actually. On the product page, it mentions several examples of accidents they cover. It says:

Quote:
Your child knocks it off a table
The dog chews it
You drop it in water
It gets stepped on
The warranty doesn't just cover mechanical failure, it also covers accidents.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Impressive!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
sneakyspider

I know, it looks like a great deal on paper. I was just wondering about people's experiences with it - mainly how easy it is to deal with the customer reps.
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I know, it looks like a great deal on paper. I was just wondering about people's experiences with it - mainly how easy it is to deal with the customer reps.
I've bought a few warranties for various devices/phones from them but ironically enough never had to invoke them.

From I know from a year or so ago, most of the time people told me if the device was under $400 or so they just sent a check, although I noticed when I more recently bought a warranty from them for my nexus 4 it mentioned something about them possibly attempting to "refurbish" the phone.

I'm thinking that refurbishing bit was new, as given their original, apparently VERY liberal terms, I'm sure that some jack---es took advantage of that and possibly ruined it for the rest of us.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
They do, actually. On the product page, it mentions several examples of accidents they cover. It says:

The warranty doesn't just cover mechanical failure, it also covers accidents.
2 types warranty available
a malfunction
b accident

b cost more than a
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use SquareTrade not that I need it but I read on the Kindle Boards those that have and it's a pretty painless process to file a claim.

The ADH plan is a must have for me. I have one for Samsung Galaxy Player 5. Good thing too Samsung is not honoring it's warranty now they've discontinued it.

I can't see getting one for a K4 though. I had one for my K3 but I paid $189 for it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
I've bought a few warranties for various devices/phones from them but ironically enough never had to invoke them.

From I know from a year or so ago, most of the time people told me if the device was under $400 or so they just sent a check, although I noticed when I more recently bought a warranty from them for my nexus 4 it mentioned something about them possibly attempting to "refurbish" the phone.

I'm thinking that refurbishing bit was new, as given their original, apparently VERY liberal terms, I'm sure that some jack---es took advantage of that and possibly ruined it for the rest of us.
1 case
told customer to send it to manufacturer or repair
send square trade bill
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I used Square Trade for my K3 with cracks in the casing, I'm in the UK. They were very nice and just arranged for Amazon to send me a replacement, then confirmed everything by email.

I think you can only claim 3 times though, its all to do with the value of your claims adding up to the value of the item insured and they class a kindle as being worth a third of its retail price, this is only what I've heard though so don't quote me.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I don't have Square Trade on any of our kindles, but I do have it on our 5th gen iPods because finding non-touch iPods is expensive. We've had to use ST 3 times, and they've been great all 3 times, including re-cutting a check that went astray.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
To the OP - regarding the submerged Kindle - regardless of whether you get the warranty or not, it might be an idea to put it for a week into a bag of rice to get out all the residual moisture (if any).

I once managed to salvage my iPod touch that way that had been submerged in ... well, somewhere else, I won't go into details here ... and was not working any more. After a week in a bag of rice, it was working again and has been ever since.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
It all depends on how much the Kindle 4 Basic costs, and what the warranty costs. If the warranty will cost more than about $20, I would just take the chance, and replace the Kindle if it ever dies.

As one of my economy teachers once said (which is quite true, IMHO):

"Insurance? Useless for many devices and circumstances. Only EVER insure something that you can not easily replace or recover from yourself if you lose it."

So he'd say:

"You own a house? Certainly insure that."
"Got a Leica M9 with 50mm/1.4 lens, costing $10.000? Please go ahead and insure it."
"Got a Kindle 4 Basic costing $69? Don't even consider it. Just replace it yourself."
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
sneakyspider

I figured that it probably wouldn't be worth it just for a basic Kindle, but I did notice that it wasn't very expensive, when you considered that you could get three claims. I didn't buy the warranty, however, and I think that the period in which I would be able to buy it has gone. As a side note, the Kindle that was dropped in water is working fine and does not appear to have been damaged at all by the experience.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It doesn't seem worth it to me. I've been using eInk readers since 2006 and have never broken one. Treat them with a moderate amount of care and they are extremely reliable devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote