Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
When is Kobo going to fix the battery indicator on the KT?

Latest cycle: Battery showing about 20%, unit shuts down with "Charge battery" message.

I put it on the 1-amp charger. Battery icon shows fully charged with check mark after 1 hour (can't be right - it takes at least 2.5 hours to do a full charge). Disconnect and wake it up, battery icon immediately shows 90% charge, then sinks to 80% and then 70% as I watch.

So I put it back on the charger for another 90 minutes. It continues to show full battery (battery icon with check mark) the whole time. But this time when I take it off the charger, it stays at 100%.

Come on Kobo, this problem has been there since the beginning. Surely you can do more to fix the battery meter problems!

Last edited by FJames; 10-30-2011 at 08:27 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
I recall reading somewhere that the battery needs to be fully cycled to 'break-in'.

That being said, my KT has never given me a predictable battery life, despite whatever the indicator states. I second you on this one, KJames!
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
The other day my screen went white and said I needed to charge the battery, which I didn't believe. So I turned it off, back on and the battery indicated about 75% or so full. Went on reading and a couple of hours later, the same thing happened.

So I charged it up fully and so far it has been fine since. So I'm not sure if the battery indicator is wrong, ie it was nearly on empty but said it was about three-quarters full, or whether it's some other sort of hiccup.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I completely ignore the battery indicator as it always shows 50% to 75% charged for me.
Within about 10 minutes of a full (ie 3 hours) charge it will be down to 75% and it has never dropped below 50% despite me getting the white "you must recharge now" screen several times.
As far as I'm concerned the Kobo doesn't have a battery charge indicator so I just try the best I can to keep track of my reading and charge every few days if I'm reading a lot (more than 2 or 3 hours a day) or weekly when I only read for an hour or 2 a day.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The battery indicator is better in the beta, or so I've been told. I plug my reader in fairly often so this has never come up for me personally.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert