Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
billysnake
billysnake began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch battery indicator

Hello,

I have had my KT for about two months now.

I find that the battery indicator is not very trustworthy. After a week or two reading, the battery indicator stills shows roughly 50% charge. But then suddenly I get the 'please plugin your reader' page and there is no charge left.

It is quite annoying. Now I make sure to charge it once a week, no matter what the battery indicator shows. Otherwise if I trust the indicator I sometimes unexpectedly find myself in the train with a dead KT.

Does anyone else have the same problem?
billysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never seen it on mine but my wife's did it just this weekend. I had happened to notice she was at about 50% but an hour later it told her to recharge.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Everyone's experienced this problem.

Kobo has implemented fixes to gauge better battery life in the indicator and to give you a low battery warning in the newer firmware versions (have yet to see the warning actually work myself).

If your Kobo is new it'll happen more frequently as the battery hasn't been cycled/calibrated with the hardware/software to have a really accurate reading. After a few full discharge and recharge cycles it gets better.

I only charge my Kobo when it shuts down on me like that and each time the battery indicator gets better.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Techbar
TechnoGeek
Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Likebook Mars, Boox Kepler Pro, InkBook Obsidian
That's pretty much how mine goes too - except mine gets down to around 25% (I wish the battery indicator had white dividers between each level bar to make it easier to read). V 1.9.11 software mentions a 'low-battery warning' but I've not seen any details other than that and I've certainly never seen one - it just goes straight to the 'please plugin' screen with no warning.
Techbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
mentions a 'low-battery warning' but I've not seen any details other than that and I've certainly never seen one
I think they only work in conjunction with kepubs
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I've had the low battery thing work in 1.9.11 (I haven't yet tried 1.9.12) the low batter warning does not pop up in a window, when the battery is 10% or 5% the little battery symbol at the top of the menu will have the 5% or 10% label in the battery or right beside it (I can't remember). But it said it was 5% and then I turned the page and the battery died, I was of course at the dentist when this happened so I had nothing to do but stare at the X-ray of my tooth like a moth to a flame
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote