Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
NaNoWriMo

As I'm not quite broken in here yet, I hope I've not made an error in posting this thread ...

As a fellow reader and writer, I'm curious: will anyone here be trying the NaNoWriMo this year? I'm going to try it for the first time this November. 50,000 words in 30 days ...

Full-time day job? Phhht. Who needs to sleep anyway. The teens can feed themselves. (just kidding of course...)
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I intend to try it again this year. I did come up with 50K a yr or so back. I still need to go back to edit, expand and tie off loose ends to my story from then one of these days. Oddly enough I reached the 50K mark on day 28 despite a slow start. I'm still not quite certain how I managed it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Can't make time for it this year. Wish I could. I think NaNoWriMo is a wonderful idea.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Interesting idea, not seen it before. (just googled it) But, alas, Im in grad school...not time for fun challenges.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'll be giving it a try this year, I think. I'm moving shortly, signed the sales papers on the house this morning , so I should be all moved and settled in by the time nano rolls around.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I did it in 2010 and made it to slightly over 50 thousand words in about 28 days. I'm actually thinking about using this year to edit it in 30 days. I can't seem to make myself sit down to edit!
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Eisengoth
Independent Author
Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've been participating in NaNo since 2005 - I'm a winner for 2005, 2007 (missed year 2, just like everybody else ) 2008, and 2009. I couldn't participate last year due to life commitments, unfortunately.

Honestly, it's the only reason I started finishing stuff. I work really well under a deadline, and the 30 days is a good challenge for me.

I'd like to participate again this year... it will depend on where I'm at with other projects when November rolls around. I love NaNo - the whole atmosphere is so supportive and festive. It's a really great challenge, and the community is just wonderful.

If you're looking for a powerful writing challenge, I highly recommend participating.
Eisengoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing that helps keep a person on track is having a good spreadsheet set up to allow them to account for how many words per day they have written. There are several such available through the NaNo Website.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Every year we have a NaNo group. Last year's was pretty good, here's hoping for another equally awesome month
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Eisengoth
Independent Author
Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One thing that helps keep a person on track is having a good spreadsheet set up to allow them to account for how many words per day they have written. There are several such available through the NaNo Website.
Interesting. I've never actually used a spreadsheet to track word count - always just the MS Word "count" feature and a calculator to multiply 1,667 by whatever day of the month it is to set my goal. A spreadsheet is an interesting idea though. I can see how having the numbers mapped out could make things easier. I might have to try it, if I end up participating this year.
Eisengoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisengoth View Post
Interesting. I've never actually used a spreadsheet to track word count - always just the MS Word "count" feature and a calculator to multiply 1,667 by whatever day of the month it is to set my goal. A spreadsheet is an interesting idea though. I can see how having the numbers mapped out could make things easier. I might have to try it, if I end up participating this year.
I have one in the 'files' section of my yahoo group if anyone is interested.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NaNoRotica/
I set it up for storing links for writing in the erotic genre but there is a lot there that is more general to writing as well. The file is listed as 'NaNoReportCardv1.3.ods ' I got it from the person who posted it originally online. He had no objection to my posting a copy in the group.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I've done it for the past several years, "won" it a few times, but often failed. This said, I have plans to develop some of the projects (none of them are really completely abandoned) and my effort from 2008 became my fiction serial, Awakenings, which is linked in my sig.

It's interesting--apparently, you can kind of tell when I stopped Nanowrimo-ing it and started taking more time with it, according to some readers.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #13
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I've been thinking I'd give it another go this year. Completed my word count in 2009, and had fun with the group here. I'd really, really like to start with an outline completed in advance this time -- my last effort was a bit of a mishmash. Nevertheless, one of my proudest accomplishments!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
It's definitely worth doing if only to get ideas out on paper and out of your brain.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Those of you that do this, do you go back, edit , and release?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote