Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The fees are for one particular library's use of Adobe Content Server. Anyone using Adobe Content Server must pay these fees. Yes, Adobe makes lots of money on ADE. They have a virtual monopoly on library content. Any time someone uses the "free" Adobe Digital Editions to download a book, someone has to pay Adobe their vig. The only company that has attempted to break the library monopoly is Amazon...when Kindle library lending begins, Adobe won't be getting the automatic kickback on Kindle lended books. Whether or not you like/dislike Amazon, monopoly busting is a good thing.
Your statement about Adobe being a monopoly and Amazon fighting back is incorrect.

Before ePub, libraries had Mobipocket (for reflowable content). Amazon bought Mobipocket. So basically, other then PDF, Amazon had the format. Sony went to Mobipocket to ask to add Mobipocket as another format to the 505. Mobipocket said they had to be the only format to support DRM and Sony said no. Sony went with ePub via ADE.

So it was Amazon that helped give rise to ADE by being dumb enough to say no to allowing Sony to use Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #122
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your statement about Adobe being a monopoly and Amazon fighting back is incorrect.
I wasn't aware that libraries were using a different DRM for ePubs and PDFs besides Adobe's. Which one might that be? As for Mobipocket, I'm quite aware that Amazon purchased it to cannibalize for their own platform. Amazon chose not to support Mobipocket as it was...that ship has sailed. Since Amazon has made it perfectly clear that they will not use Adobe's scheme, the arrangement to use the library's existing ebook licenses (yes, all of them) to fulfill as Kindle books from Amazon's servers seems perfectly reasonable. Otherwise, libraries would be pressured to purchase new Amazon books which is unnecessary under this plan.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wasn't aware that libraries were using a different DRM for ePubs and PDFs besides Adobe's. Which one might that be? As for Mobipocket, I'm quite aware that Amazon purchased it to cannibalize for their own platform. Amazon chose not to support Mobipocket as it was...that ship has sailed. Since Amazon has made it perfectly clear that they will not use Adobe's scheme, the arrangement to use the library's existing ebook licenses (yes, all of them) to fulfill as Kindle books from Amazon's servers seems perfectly reasonable. Otherwise, libraries would be pressured to purchase new Amazon books which is unnecessary under this plan.
Did you even read what I wrote? I said nothing about ePub & PDF and different DRM from Adobe. I told you why Amazon fighting back is incorrect. It's incorrect because it's Amazon's fault that they did not allow Mobipocket to be used by other companies. That led to Mobipocket's downfall. It had nothing to do with ADE/Adobe. It has to do with the incompetence of whoever it was who made the decision to deny Sony the use of Mobipocket by wanted to be the only DRM capable format.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #124
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you even read what I wrote? I said nothing about ePub & PDF and different DRM from Adobe. I told you why Amazon fighting back is incorrect. It's incorrect because it's Amazon's fault that they did not allow Mobipocket to be used by other companies. That led to Mobipocket's downfall. It had nothing to do with ADE/Adobe. It has to do with the incompetence of whoever it was who made the decision to deny Sony the use of Mobipocket by wanted to be the only DRM capable format.
Yes, I read what you wrote, JS. Now, read my response again. "...As for Mobipocket, I'm quite aware that Amazon purchased it to cannibalize for their own platform. Amazon chose not to support Mobipocket as it was..." If Amazon wasn't going to support Mobipocket, why would they license it to Sony? My initial statement that "Adobe has a virtual monopoly on library books" is still the case. It will not be the case once Amazon's library program begins...possibly in less than a month.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #125
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, I read what you wrote, JS. Now, read my response again. "...As for Mobipocket, I'm quite aware that Amazon purchased it to cannibalize for their own platform. Amazon chose not to support Mobipocket as it was..." If Amazon wasn't going to support Mobipocket, why would they license it to Sony? My initial statement that "Adobe has a virtual monopoly on library books" is still the case. It will not be the case once Amazon's library program begins...possibly in less than a month.
It's not a monopoly. It's what the market demands. The market shifted from Mobipocket to ePub thanks to Amazon. So really, we do have Amazon to thank for ePub being the #1 format.
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #126
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
we do have Amazon to thank for ePub being the #1 format.
So why are you so hard on them?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
So why are you so hard on them?
Because Amazon finally realized their mistake and are trying to rectify it. We can't have that. It's bad for eBooks.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #128
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because Amazon finally realized their mistake and are trying to rectify it.
What should a person do when they realize that they mad a mistake?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #129
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
We can't have that.
Are you using the royal "we," JS? You are nothing if not consistent.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What should a person do when they realize that they mad a mistake?
Get a reader that supports ePub.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #131
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Are you using the royal "we," JS? You are nothing if not consistent.
What about Mobipocket that's better then ePub?

I am not talking about DRM or Amazon. Just about the technical merits of both formats.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #132
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
What about Mobipocket that's better then ePub?

I am not talking about DRM or Amazon. Just about the technical merits of both formats.
I'm not at all concerned about the technical merits. Most people aren't. Mobi is quite adequate as I'm sure ePub is. I have a very good reading experience with Mobi. If I were horribly anal about the perfection of the appearance of the text, I would have remained with hard cover books. As long as it's clear and easy to read, I'm good.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #133
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Get a reader that supports ePub.
Ok, you nudged some karma from me for that one.

But I gotta have 3G. What do you recommend?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #134
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
I have a very good reading experience with Mobi.
You just made his head explode.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #135
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
You just made his head explode.
I wondered why there was so much deafening silence after the loud THWUMP sound.

Tags
amazon, kindle, library, tablet