Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Do you cry after finishing a long series?

Well, maybe not outright cry, but I was pretty bummed after finishing a few lengthy series, in which I had thoroughly immersed myself in the characters and their lives. They were not romance series, but more to do with life and friendship. That must be why I felt incredibly sad for a few days xD;

but anyway, it's nice to be emotionally attached to characters, until the author decides to leave them at a certain point in their lives.

ah.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Honestly, it depends. Sometimes, an author should have ended it long ago. Sometimes, I want more, more, more.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Cry? No. But I think the series I've felt the most emotional attachment to (and don't laugh!) is the Harry Potter series. I was very sad to finish that and realise that there wouldn't be any more.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Cry? No. But I think the series I've felt the most emotional attachment to (and don't laugh!) is the Harry Potter series. I was very sad to finish that and realise that there wouldn't be any more.
ah, i did hear about something like that amongst many others right after the series ended. it was rather publicized for a while, too.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know the feeling. But Harry has some amazing fan-fictions.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
Harry P or HarryT
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
Ah, yes, who could ever forget the immortal lines:

“Sire are dads have been shot!” Draco said while we wipped sum tears from his white face. “Enoby had a vision in a dreem.”

Dubleodre started to cockle. “Hahahaha! And How due u aspect me to know Ebony’s not divisional?”

-------------------------------------

As Prince once sang, 'life is just a party, and parties weren't meant to last.'

Self-control from the author (and subsequent brand-owners) is vital. I'm really happy if something I've enjoyed all the way through ends in a satisfying way: - there's no way the author can mess up the ending.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
And sometimes frustration... Like in The Passage... when I realize that it's just "To be continued..."
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Ferenczy
Ferenczy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 WiFi
...cry? Nope. Get emotional? Sure. (patiently waiting for the next 'Song of Ice and Fire' book... Still... Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo... Still waiting... *sigh*)
Ferenczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I remember when I finished reading The Dark Tower series... long long series and I devoted a long time on it...
Glad I read it back to back to back
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Sometimes I cry at the beginning of a long series. But that's different issue.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Honestly, it depends. Sometimes, an author should have ended it long ago. Sometimes, I want more, more, more.
That has been my experience also. Except i think Chapterhouse Dune might have been the best in the series after the original. IMHO. I know most disagree with that.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Sometimes I cry at the beginning of a long series. But that's different issue.
I cry so much on the first page of Proust that I've never actually made it past there.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
0utis
Enthusiast
0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0utis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferenczy View Post
...cry? Nope. Get emotional? Sure. (patiently waiting for the next 'Song of Ice and Fire' book... Still... Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo... Still waiting... *sigh*)
Oh, man of poor faith. Here it comes, on 12 July http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/...-dragons-date/

I didn't cry but I felt odd when the last Harry Potter was released. Expecting the next HP used to be a highlight in my life and then, no more. In a way, I think I miss more the expectation than the books.

Not a series, but when I finished the Lord of the Rings for the first time, when I was a teenager, I felt as if I had been kicked out of a warm place to the real world again. And I didn't want to go.

Now, the Wheel of Time is a different story. It was long overdue by the fifth book.
0utis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I cried when I finished the Millenium series because I realized I would've been better off waiting for the movies.

I like Salander, and there are genuinely thrilling parts, but man, so much of it screamed for editing and reworking. Larsson is a journalist, and it shows. This is one series of books that could actually benefit from Hollywoodization. If Fincher is smart, and he is, he will do just Dragon Tattoo.

I AM really sad that there will be no more robot and foundation novels from Asimov. The ones by other authors just aren't the same.

Last edited by Barty; 03-05-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote