Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #1
tspear
tspear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Publisher Summary

I have spot checked a few eBooks in my collection.
Goodreads, Baen, Amazon, Kobo, none of them seem to always match what is on the print addition. On Good Reads I really felt the summary was written by the readers.

When I asked Kobo about the book summary, they claimed what they have is from the publisher.

So which comment do you trust or use?

Is there a way to create a priority list and go with the first one which has information? e.g. Baen, Kobo, Amazon, Goodreads?

(I see this can be done for covers, but I was wondering about the rest of the meta-data, starting with the comments/publisher summary)

Tim
tspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:43 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For the most part, I find the ebook vendors (Amazon, Kobo, etc.) tend to be fairly consistent in their ebook summaries. Baen's summaries for ebooks from their site are supplied by Baen so hard to claim any inconsistency.

OTOH, quite a few ePubs do not have a consistent summary in the ePub as you download it. That is more a function of the publisher/vendor ebook creation work flow and may differ from what is on the vendor's website rather often.

And why would you want to match the print edition?

As for trusting or using? I use whichever one I find more useful when I download metadata as part of adding to my calibre library. As for trusting, an old Russian rhyming proverb: доверяй, но проверяй (doveryay, no proveryay) (English: trust but verify) applies.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 04:52 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just use the Amazon synopsis, unless it's absent or non-informative. I don't care if it matches the print edition, as I no longer read paper books.

I don't download metadata (except for covers); instead, I copy the relevant parts of it manually. Downloading metadata and then deleting everything I don't want (mile-long book titles, snippets from reviews and raves etc) would take me just as long.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-04-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A print publisher's editors are much more likely to have actually read the book than an employee of any e-book store … particularly if they were involved in the book's development phase.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:26 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
A print publisher's editors are much more likely to have actually read the book than an employee of any e-book store … particularly if they were involved in the book's development phase.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Been awhile since I bought a Baen book/bundle ( Toni's tastes drifted away from mine. )
Amazon lets more than a Summary into the listing , but at least it is the Authors.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 08:38 PM   #6
tspear
tspear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Ok, I am fine with using Amazon or whomever.
How do you prioritize them in Calibre, e.g. make it check Baen first, if not found, check Amazon, if not found check...?

Tim
tspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:49 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You get to prioritize covers, but not metadata
OTOH
If you select a source in configure metadata download: configure selected source allows you to cherry pick certain fields
The fields on the main form is overall
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:52 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspear View Post
How do you prioritize them in Calibre, e.g. make it check Baen first, if not found, check Amazon, if not found check...?

Tim
I don't download anything except for covers. The rest I copy-paste; this will take me less time than downloading everything, then selecting, editing, deleting etc would take.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote