Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
It's official -- NO FOLDERS on the Nook

From the Barnes & Noble eBooks Help Board

Quote:
A few questions here about navigating the content on your nook.

nook's touchscreen has a keyboard to help you search, lend and annotate your eBooks and other content.

The cover flow view is a great and fun feature, but you can also browse the content on nook a number of ways: by type (eBooks vs subscriptions vs other content you've loaded on nook, for instance), by title, or by author.

You can also use the touchscreen keyboard to search for the particular eBook or content. (We'll be getting a picture of the keyboard on the site soon.)

You can't put your eBooks into "folders" or tags at this time, but we've heard the request, and we're looking into it for down the road. (Thanks for the suggestion.)
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Not really a huge deal in my eyes because of the keyboard. It should be really quick to find books using that.
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
Not really a huge deal in my eyes because of the keyboard. It should be really quick to find books using that.
I have a Kindle and don't have much trouble finding a book. The Kindle has a keyboard, even if it is a little cheesy, which can be used to find a book quickly. So I hear what you are saying. However, having folders and/or tags would still definately be helpful.

Imagine if last month you downloaded a free book from Amazon/B&N, and you remember that it was fantasy novel with vampires, but you can't remember the name of the author or the books title. If you have a 1,000+ books on your ereader, finding that book will not be easy. If you had a "fantasy" folder or were able to add tags such as "fantasy" and "vampire" then finding the book would be a breeze.

Furthermore, let's say you're in the mood for a good mystery. You have several mystery books on your eReader, but once again you may not remember every author or title you have that is a mystery book. It would be nice if you could list all the mystery books you have on your eReader, as this would make choosing a book to read a lot easier.

Many Kindle owners have been asking for folders or tags for quite some time now, and I'm actually surprised that the Nook doesn't support folders. It almost appeared that B&N had been reviewing the blogs and boards that were complaining about Amazon's latest Kindles not supporting an SD card or replaceable battery, so I'm pretty sure they would have seen the complaints about a lack of folder/tag support. Not supporting folders/tags seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Last edited by Daithi; 10-22-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Without folder support, we'll just have to spend more time making sure all our content has the correct meta data. I don't like it but I guess it forces us to be more organized and allows for faster searching. iTunes doesn't have folder support and many of us just put up with it. Same with gmail. It's probably not an issue for bought content, but user-generated stuff will require extra work. Certainly not for those just wishing to copy and paste all their files over...
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No folders, would that mean you must place all your books in one folder or that it won't display folders, even if you put your books in folders (like the Mobipocket Mobile Reader software)?

If it's the first, it's an absolute no-go for me.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
No folders, would that mean you must place all your books in one folder or that it won't display folders, even if you put your books in folders (like the Mobipocket Mobile Reader software)?

If it's the first, it's an absolute no-go for me.
From my understanding it works like the Kindle. All your books are placed in one folder and the only thing you can sort on is Title and Author. Really disappointing.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
What about page numbers? One of the things liked about the Sony but dislike about the Kindle is real page numbers.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
What about page numbers? One of the things liked about the Sony but dislike about the Kindle is real page numbers.
The sample images show what appears to be a page number. I don't know, though, how you can reconcile page numbers with variable font sizes.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #9
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Without folder support, we'll just have to spend more time making sure all our content has the correct meta data. I don't like it but I guess it forces us to be more organized and allows for faster searching. iTunes doesn't have folder support and many of us just put up with it. Same with gmail. It's probably not an issue for bought content, but user-generated stuff will require extra work. Certainly not for those just wishing to copy and paste all their files over...
I can't do without folders... I keep all my Stephen King in Stephen King Folder, all Leo Tolstoy in Leo Tolstoy folder and so on...Maybe it's just me - 'omnia mea mecum porto' - I like to have ALL works of the author if I like him and to have them all in one place...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
No folders = no sale
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
No folders = no sale
Folder support (or tag support) is one of those things I thought I really cared about a couple of years ago when I got my Sony. I made all these nice collections on the desktop software so my books were carefully filed under a few different criteria, but as it turns out I never use my own system. 99% of the time when I go to open a book I list by title.

I may change my mind with the Nook, since I'll be using a device where I can't selectively sync just some of my books over at any time, they'll all be there always, and that could definitely get hairy. I wonder if B&N's "archive" feature for the digital library will still work, so I can get rid of old books without having to actually get rid of them.

Adding tags seems like the right way to do it, since you could potentially add multiple tags to any file and then list by tag. Like folders, but a bit more flexible and probably a lot easier to edit on-device. Maybe they'll hear enough user complaints to add it in a software update.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
I may change my mind with the Nook, since I'll be using a device where I can't selectively sync just some of my books over at any time, they'll all be there always, and that could definitely get hairy.
Are you saying that you cannot manually add and remove books via USB?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you saying that you cannot manually add and remove books via USB?
Well, I know you can manually add them, but what I don't know is if you can remove files downloaded to the device from B&N. I do know that Kindle 1 users will move books they're done with to a card, and archive them that way. I might go that route with the nook.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
no folders/tags is a dealbreaker for me.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
tuomas
tuomas began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Is this something that can be added on through a firmware upgrade?
tuomas is offline   Reply With Quote