Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Oprah goes totally over the top about kindle.

Okay, I know this particular Oprah show happened way back in October(?), but I just happened to see it here in Australia. I'm now crouched behind the sofa, quivering with fear. "Mummy, who is that crazy woman in the TV set?"

My gosh - she was so over the top! You'd think the thing cured AIDs and cancer and brought everlasting peace to the universe. Was she channeling Tom Cruise? Was she getting paid? Or is she always this so over enthusiastic?

And her audience - they each got a free kindle - cheering, screaming, and one was even CRYING WITH JOY!

And not a word about how it is a late comer in the ebook reader world, or how the wireless download only works in the US.

Bizarre! And please don't tell me how wonderful a kindle is smeared with marmite and sprinkled with popcorn...
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think several months ago that Martha Stewart had the CEO of Amazon on, and they gave away Kindles. No one cried. People on Oprah are crazy.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Okay, I know this particular Oprah show happened way back in October(?), but I just happened to see it here in Australia. I'm now crouched behind the sofa, quivering with fear. "Mummy, who is that crazy woman in the TV set?"

My gosh - she was so over the top! You'd think the thing cured AIDs and cancer and brought everlasting peace to the universe. Was she channeling Tom Cruise? Was she getting paid? Or is she always this so over enthusiastic?

And her audience - they each got a free kindle - cheering, screaming, and one was even CRYING WITH JOY!

And not a word about how it is a late comer in the ebook reader world, or how the wireless download only works in the US.

Bizarre! And please don't tell me how wonderful a kindle is smeared with marmite and sprinkled with popcorn...
She endorsed the Rocket Ebook when it came out as well. Gave everyone in her audience one. So at least she still sees the benefit of ebooks.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
She endorsed the Rocket Ebook when it came out as well. Gave everyone in her audience one. So at least she still sees the benefit of ebooks.
Oh, I didn't know that. If she has a history of promoting reading, especially on electronic devices, that's a good thing.

I don't normally watch Oprah and I was genuinely startled by her manic and overblown enthusiasm.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
In the previous Time magazine the Kindle made it onto the top 10 list of gadgets for 2008. I think it was number 7. It sure is doing well in the free publicity stakes.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I think it's curious that there's such a large number of people who make Oprah the popular person that she is. It's not her fault really although she does little to dampen it. But what person in her position does? The occasional movie star may hide to avoid becoming an idol but I don't think many do. I personally find Oprah to be a fairly likeable person with neither exceptional qualities nor exceptional faults. A bit like most people I know. I also find it curious that there are so many people who seem to dislike her as person just because she's so popular.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote