Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #1231
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Thank you. That is a highly interesting interview. I skimmed through it a bit and be sure to check it out in detail - might have to kill a tree, as I don't fancy reading it on my phone ( my primary mobileread interface).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #1232
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool put it on your kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you. That is a highly interesting interview. I skimmed through it a bit and be sure to check it out in detail - might have to kill a tree, as I don't fancy reading it on my phone ( my primary mobileread interface).
Don't kill any trees! Here's a mobi of it to put on your kindle instead. Okay?

Last edited by alansplace; 11-14-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: re-phrase
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #1233
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Don't kill any trees! Here's a mobi of it to put on your kindle instead. Okay?

Thank you again, I put it into my cloud and was going to snatch my wifes kindle to read it once I got home in the morning. Well no need to bother now, as I read it on Kindle app on my phone. Maybe it is just the browser I dislike for reading longer texts. Nice cover by the way.

The interview got a lot of spoilers. Not the spoilers that ruin a story, but spoilers that ruin the magic of the books (no pun intended). Interesting that he has everything planned kinda, but not really. Amazing that most stuff he makes up as he goes. Maybe not most, but certainly a lot.

Few questions for you (actually only two for now): So far as I understand from reading this thread you stumbled upon the Dresden Files by ways around the tv-series. How many books were out there when you discovered Harry? And is it a painful wait until the next books comes out?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #1234
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Thank you again, I put it into my cloud and was going to snatch my wifes kindle to read it once I got home in the morning. Well no need to bother now, as I read it on Kindle app on my phone. Maybe it is just the browser I dislike for reading longer texts. Nice cover by the way.

The interview got a lot of spoilers. Not the spoilers that ruin a story, but spoilers that ruin the magic of the books (no pun intended). Interesting that he has everything planned kinda, but not really. Amazing that most stuff he makes up as he goes. Maybe not most, but certainly a lot.

Few questions for you (actually only two for now): So far as I understand from reading this thread you stumbled upon the Dresden Files by ways around the tv-series. How many books were out there when you discovered Harry? And is it a painful wait until the next books comes out?
Glad it worked out. Yeah, thanks. The cover was an appropriate graphic that caught my eye as I looked for something to use in my Dresden collection of images.

Nine published books were available when I started reading the series. And four of the six Codex Alera books were also available as well. Painful? No, since I read a lot of other stuff too.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #1235
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Glad it worked out. Yeah, thanks. The cover was an appropriate graphic that caught my eye as I looked for something to use in my Dresden collection of images.

Nine published books were available when I started reading the series. And four of the six Codex Alera books were also available as well. Painful? No, since I read a lot of other stuff too.

I remember having to wait for the other Harry (Potter) for the last 3 books - I started with Goblet of Fire. And since I am no fan of translation I had to wait a couple weeks after each release to have my parents ship over the UK version. And then I had to read them right away Retrospectively a very stupid move on my part - all you do is set yourself up for disappointment, or rather a longer wait for the next book.

I noticed comparing Potter and Dresden, that the Dresden books are less dependend upon each other - every book has a complete and finished story - or should we call it a case-file. On the same thought process, Potter should be one book with 7 parts - similar to Tolkien wanting Lord of the Rings to be just one Book. So hopefully the wait for Dresden books is going to be easier than the Potter books - especially as I still got many books to go.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #1236
DHNightshadow
Zealot
DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager
Hm, why are there two prices on amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091LLRQK/...590_pe_vfe_lm1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090UOJAI/...590_pe_vfe_lm2

One, with 14,24 and one with 20,15 Dollars?
DHNightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #1237
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNightshadow View Post
Hm, why are there two prices on amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091LLRQK/...590_pe_vfe_lm1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090UOJAI/...590_pe_vfe_lm2

One, with 14,24 and one with 20,15 Dollars?
They're 2 different Amazon sites. The first I think is the US, I can't see a price but have been told it's $14 for the US pre-order. The second gives me the Canadian price of $18.59.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #1238
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
They're 2 different Amazon sites. The first I think is the US, I can't see a price but have been told it's $14 for the US pre-order. The second gives me the Canadian price of $18.59.
no the first link does not work - is empty for me too. 2nd link shows me my us preorder kindle price of 14.99. also the hardcover us preorder price is 16.18 on http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/045146...2992067&sr=8-1 - see if you can see the canadian preorder price
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #1239
DuckieTigger
Wizard

I just looked on amazon.de (the german amazon site) - big difference: kindle price is EUR 10.99 and hardcover EUR 22.50

Now why can't amazon have such big difference in price book vs ebook? or are they bound by different law since one is a book you can hold in your hand?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #1240
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
no the first link does not work - is empty for me too. 2nd link shows me my us preorder kindle price of 14.99. also the hardcover us preorder price is 16.18 on http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/045146...2992067&sr=8-1 - see if you can see the canadian preorder price
This is what I see:

Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
Jim Butcher (Author)

List Price: $27.95
Price: $16.18
You Save: $11.77(42%)
Pre-Order. Available November 27, 2012
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
Gift-wrap available.

Share this item
Editorial Reviews
Product Details
Frequently Bought Together
Buy this with Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five) (Mass Market Paperback) today
Buy Together Today: $24.17
Total List Price: $35.94
You Save: $11.77 (33%)
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #1241
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
This is what I see:

Cold Days: A Novel of the Dresden Files (Hardcover)
Jim Butcher (Author)

List Price: $27.95
Price: $16.18
You Save: $11.77(42%)
Pre-Order. Available November 27, 2012
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com
Gift-wrap available.

Share this item
Editorial Reviews
Product Details
Frequently Bought Together
Buy this with Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Five) (Mass Market Paperback) today
Buy Together Today: $24.17
Total List Price: $35.94
You Save: $11.77 (33%)
Amazon is strange - sometimes it shows your local item, sometimes a foreign one. Wish they would just make it clear which $ they talk about - make it USD or US$ - oh well if you put it in your cart it will complain soon enough ...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #1242
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Amazon is strange - sometimes it shows your local item, sometimes a foreign one. Wish they would just make it clear which $ they talk about - make it USD or US$ - oh well if you put it in your cart it will complain soon enough ...
It's so confusing. When I go to Amazon and do a search for Cold Days, it says $14.99, but when I click the book so it gives me the details it shows $18.59. Even when they send me recommendations it's the same. They give me the US price and when I click the link I get the CAD price which is always at least $3-5 more.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #1243
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
It's so confusing. When I go to Amazon and do a search for Cold Days, it says $14.99, but when I click the book so it gives me the details it shows $18.59. Even when they send me recommendations it's the same. They give me the US price and when I click the link I get the CAD price which is always at least $3-5 more.
That is a feature. Amazon expects you to be so hyped up about lower price that you don't look and quickly one-touch buy it.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #1244
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
That is a feature. Amazon expects you to be so hyped up about lower price that you don't look and quickly one-touch buy it.
I have almost done it at least 3 times I always get excited about saving money
Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #1245
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Avatar

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avatar_DuckieTigger.gif
Views:	283
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	96188
Hey, duckie! Have an Avatar.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy