Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #1006
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
I'm having trouble with a couple lines of my metadata_replace regexps. I've been able to figure out all the other errors I made, but this one has me stumped.

Code:
#These are from the Alice in Wonderland, 2010 category in the movie section of FFN.

category=>Alice in Wonderland\, 2010=>Alice in Wonderland (2010)

characters=>Alice K=>Other.Alice Kingsleigh&&category=>Alice in Wonderland (2010)
characters=>Mad Hatter/Tarrant Hightopp=>Other.Tarrant Hightop (Mad Hatter)&&category=>Alice in Wonderland (2010)
The first line works fine and I am able to replace the original category with "Alice in Wonderland (2010)". However, the next two lines do not replace the character names. I think it has something to do with making sure it was in the "Alice..." category, but I don't see any difference between the replaced category and the one I check for in my character replace lines. I was wondering if there was a problem with the 'in' or the parenthesis, but I was unsure how to solve it.

Edit: I just tried the code without the parenthesis and had the same problem.

Code:
characters=>Cheshire Cat=>Other.\1&&category=>Alice in Wonderland
I've tried using the '/' in front of the 'in' and i tried placing the 'Alice in Wonderland' between ^$ with no results. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Jade Aislin; 11-08-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #1007
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
'in' is special to Python, but not to regexp, so it doesn't need to be escaped in regular expressions. Nor do commas. Parans--'()'--however, are and should be escaped with '\' when not being used for expression grouping.

This worked for me with this story:

Code:
replace_metadata:
 category=>Alice in Wonderland, 2010=>Alice in Wonderland (2010)
 characters=>Alice K\.=>Other.Alice Kingsleigh&&category=>Alice in Wonderland \(2010\)
 characters=>Mad Hatter/Tarrant Hightopp=>Other.Tarrant Hightop (Mad Hatter)&&category=>Alice in Wonderland \(2010\)
This pattern:

Code:
characters=>Cheshire Cat=>Other.\1&&category=>Alice in Wonderland
...doesn't work because \1 is replaced by the first matched paran group--and this pattern doesn't have one.

This pattern instead:
Code:
characters=>(Cheshire Cat)=>Other.\1&&category=>Alice in Wonderland \(2010\)
...will change 'Cheshire Cat/Chessur' to 'Other.Cheshire Cat/Chessur'. The '/Chessur' part is kept because the pattern only matches 'Cheshire Cat', leaving the rest. To remove it, use:

Code:
characters=>(Cheshire Cat).*=>Other.\1&&category=>Alice in Wonderland \(2010\)
Then the pattern matches the entire string and changes 'Cheshire Cat/Chessur' to 'Other.Cheshire Cat'.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #1008
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New test version with some fixes for efpfanfic.net.

Should fix problems with URLs:
Quote:
These are some of the stories which the plugin could not download at all:
- http://www.efpfanfic.net/viewstory.php?sid=406897
- http://www.efpfanfic.net/viewstory.php?sid=480032
- http://www.efpfanfic.net/viewstory.php?sid=552645

Then there are those stories which the plugin downloads, but their chapters are empty:
- http://www.efpfanfic.net/viewstory.php?sid=433009
- http://www.efpfanfic.net/viewstory.php?sid=28636 (in this case, only the first chapter is empty)
- http://www.efpfanfic.net/viewstory.php?sid=79666 (most chapters are empty)
UPDATE Nov 12: Test version superseded, see later posts.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-12-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #1009
crackshot91
Enthusiast
crackshot91 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3G
Hey Jimm. I was wondering if there was a way to have fimfiction stories that are "On Hiatus" report their status as such? Right now, FFDL correctly reports the status of all "Completed", "In-Progress", and "Cancelled" fics, but fics on hiatus are reported as "In-Progress"

Here are some fics on hiatus as an example:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/5523...Favoured-Child
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/4757...e-to-Equestria
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/3965...ant-to-Know%3F

This is a relatively minor issue, so please don't go out of your way.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #1010
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackshot91 View Post
Hey Jimm. I was wondering if there was a way to have fimfiction stories that are "On Hiatus" report their status as such? Right now, FFDL correctly reports the status of all "Completed", "In-Progress", and "Cancelled" fics, but fics on hiatus are reported as "In-Progress"
It was a deliberate design decision by the developer at the time to include 'Cancelled', but make 'On Hiatus'=>'In-Progress'.

Given that 'Cancelled' already breaks the Completed/In-Progress two state paradigm, I don't have a problem including 'On Hiatus', too. Plus, replace_metadata now makes it easy for users who disagree to hide it again.

Give this test version a try, see what you think.

UPDATE Nov 12: Test version superseded, see later posts.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-12-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #1011
crackshot91
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
It was a deliberate design decision by the developer at the time to include 'Cancelled', but make 'On Hiatus'=>'In-Progress'.

Given that 'Cancelled' already breaks the Completed/In-Progress two state paradigm, I don't have a problem including 'On Hiatus', too. Plus, replace_metadata now makes it easy for users who disagree to hide it again.

Give this test version a try, see what you think.
Aw man, you rock. It works wonderfully.

Thanks for all your help, Jimm. I really appreciate it.

Another question: I think I may have asked this before in a cruder way, but I was wondering... Is there a way to set FFDL to always download metadata, but only download the epub (actual book file) if it's newer? This would be a good solution for those managing large collections, especially those that have ratings/descriptions in the metadata. Ratings for obvious reasons, and descriptions because some authors change the description if they release a sequel.

Another benefit would be one-pass updating. Currently, if I want to update my library, I have to do one pass for metadata only and another to check for updates on the fic itself.

A way to update metadata always/epub if newer simultaneously would lessen the burden placed on the fanfiction site's server, and make the updating process easier.

Of course, at this point, I'm probably the only one using these features I've requested, so I feel quite guilty for these requests. This is just an idea I had. Please ignore at will.

Thanks again for all your help!

EDIT: Looks like I asked this exact question two months ago: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=796

I later say that "overwrite if newer is perfect for my needs", and I guess it is if I really think about it. Honestly, the rating for a fic probably won't change significantly and I go to the website to rate every fic I read, so it's not like I'll miss a description/possible sequel update.

I am kind of confused, though. When running an update to "overwrite if newer", FFDL downloads the metadata for every story regardless (too check if it should download a new epub, I'm guessing). What does FFDL do with the metadata for fics that aren't newer? It discards them? Is there any way to save that metadata and update the fics that arent newer without having to run FFDL again?

Last edited by crackshot91; 11-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #1012
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I would start by reiterating my opinion that you should not be using FFDL to check for updates on large numbers of stories like that. In my opinion, you should be using the email notices available on the fanfic sites to alert you to story updates. And author follow/alert/whatever to watch for new sequels.

Quote:
Is there a way to set FFDL to always download metadata, but only download the epub (actual book file) if it's newer? This would be a good solution for those managing large collections, especially those that have ratings/descriptions in the metadata. Ratings for obvious reasons, and descriptions because some authors change the description if they release a sequel.

Another benefit would be one-pass updating. Currently, if I want to update my library, I have to do one pass for metadata only and another to check for updates on the fic itself.
Sounds like you want 'Update Always'. That will always update the metadata both in calibre and the epub titlepage, but only download chapters if there are new chapters.

Quote:
I am kind of confused, though. When running an update to "overwrite if newer", FFDL downloads the metadata for every story regardless (too check if it should download a new epub, I'm guessing). What does FFDL do with the metadata for fics that aren't newer? It discards them? Is there any way to save that metadata and update the fics that arent newer without having to run FFDL again?
Yes, FFDL always collects the metadata--it has to, to know what the 'last updated' date is and/or how many chapters there are.

Yes, FFDL discards that data when you use "Overwrite if newer" if it's not newer. The implicit assumption is that authors only change the description, etc when adding new chapters or the 'last updated' date will be updated when they do so.

I don't plan to add any new modes of operation like that right now.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #1013
crackshot91
Enthusiast

Alright, Jimm! Thanks for your help!

"The implicit assumption is that authors only change the description, etc when adding new chapters or the 'last updated' date will be updated when they do so."

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

"Sounds like you want 'Update Always'. That will always update the metadata both in calibre and the epub titlepage, but only download chapters if there are new chapters."

Oooh, that sounds good. I didn't even think to use "Update Always". Looks like it does exactly what I'm hoping. Awesome! I appreciate the reply.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #1014
barsoforion
barsoforion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Randomly Not Working?

For some reason, when I try to open books downloaded from AO3 by FFDL on my kindle, I keep getting and error message saying "The selected item could not be opened." Removing it and re-adding it doesn't work. When I try to open the same book with Kindle for Mac, it works fine. I can also get it to work if I re-convert it with Calibre. I haven't checked all of my books, but it seems to be happening only with books I either downloaded recently, updated recently, or accidentally tried to download recently (where I entered the URL, and the program told me that I already had the book). Is this a PEBCAK error of some sort, or is it a bug?

One of the books giving me the error: http://archiveofourown.org/works/296762
Old 11-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #1015
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@barsoforion - I was able to download that story as mobi and load it via USB to my Kindle 3g without any problems. Download to epub and convert to mobi also worked.

As it says in the FAQ, mobi support in FFDL is not the greatest. I generally recommend that everybody download to epub and then convert to mobi--if that works, I suggest using it. If you use the Reading List plugin to load your device, the conversion will be done automatically.

I have a how-to about using Reading List with FFDL and devices.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #1016
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
FFDL not finding valid story URLs

Will FFDL only recognize the URL for a story if it was the one to import it into Calibre in the first place, regardless of it coming from a supported archive? For example, when I'm going through AO3 it's simpler for me to use AO3's epub download option and simply drop them into the auto-add directory for Calibre rather than trying to harvest the url's one at a time. Unfortunately AO3 doesn't include much if any metadata in the download so once I have it imported into Calibre I like to use FFDL to update the metadata and if a story is incomplete I can then use FFDL to periodically check if it's been updated. Only FFDL doesn't seem to want to do this anymore even if the URLs in the IDs field for working and non-working URLs are formatted EXACTLY the same.

To test this theory I copied a couple of urls from stories FFDL said it couldn't find the story url for to a notepad file, deleted the stories from Calibre, then made sure those story urls were in the clipboard and ran FFDL. It imported the files using the copied urls with no problems. Then when I went into the individual stories I found the url was exactly the same as it was when I used Calibre's add books option rather than FFDL. Now when I ask FFDL to Update Existing Fanfiction books using the url in the IDs field it has no problem finding the URL.

I'm using the latest version of FFDL on Calibre 0.9.5
Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #1017
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@BookJunkieLI -

I'm able to import an epub downloaded from AO3 into calibre and then use FFDL update on it successfully. calibre populated with the story URL in 'Ids'.

Can you give me a couple URLs of AO3 stories that have this problem? Or the epubs?

My only thought is it might help you to turn on the 'Search EPUB text for Story URL' option. 2nd from the bottom on FFDL's 'Basic' config tab.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #1018
Mandabar
Fanfiction Devourer
Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android: Moon+ Reader Pro
Hi, first time poster. I just have to first give my praise before I "Complain" or more precisely, ask for help ;-)

Love this plugin, best find ever after finding calibre. Used to have to use the FFDL standalone app which worked fine. But integration is indeed king.

Now on to the HEEEELLLPPP part of the post.

I rarely go on other FF sites to be truthful, so I mostly just use www.fanfiction.net. Unsure if this affects other FF sites or not. Scene Breaks are broken for me in my epubs. Makes it a bit confusing when the scene actually changes from location to location. Thankfully most of the authors I read actually are quite readable and you can catch on pretty easily when there is a scene break.

Here's one story where the issue appears (One of my Favorites though, there is 2/3 prequels (sorta) from the 2 authors involved in this cross-cross-over) http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6766023/1/ .

Thanks!

Edit: Well heck. The epubs are fine. It seems that my ereader is stripping out the scenebreak code for some reason? Maybe you guys can still help, but It doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this plugin. Using Moon+ Reader Pro for android. Seems to have 2 modes, Publisher Formating and Not(Normal I guess, has no name). Reading in with Publisher Format doesn't work too well. Feels like loading a HTML file and scrolling on it. But, it works and looks just like reading epub from within Calibre does. The other mode (Normalish) works more like a reflow of the book with better gui and all feautres working. God I love that autoscroll/TTS. But no scene breaks *Tears*

Last edited by Mandabar; 11-12-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Ack I'm Dumb.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #1019
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@Mandabar - Glad you already figured out your problem. In future, please use smaller example stories if possible. Million plus word stories are a bit uncommon.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #1020
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
@BookJunkieLI -

I'm able to import an epub downloaded from AO3 into calibre and then use FFDL update on it successfully. calibre populated with the story URL in 'Ids'.

Can you give me a couple URLs of AO3 stories that have this problem? Or the epubs?

My only thought is it might help you to turn on the 'Search EPUB text for Story URL' option. 2nd from the bottom on FFDL's 'Basic' config tab.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Clicking the Search EPUB option seems to have fixed it but here are a few urls anyway.
url:http|//archiveofourown.org/works/159094 - working url

uri:http|//archiveofourown.org/works/117622 - non-working
uri:http|//archiveofourown.org/works/557155 - non-working
uri:http|//archiveofourown.org/works/114555 - non-working

The non-working ones all worked once I deleted and re-imported using FFDL. I'm not sure how I originally imported the one that worked on the first try.
Closed Thread