Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
PB302 - How to replace English->Russian dictionary with English only (with defin.)?

When I sue the dictionary, it's comes up showing me Russian (Cyrillic characters anyway) alongside the English word I tried searching. I take it this is a English->Russian dictionary.

Where can I download the English only (with definitions)? Or does it exist?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
When I sue the dictionary, it's comes up showing me Russian (Cyrillic characters anyway) alongside the English word I tried searching. I take it this is a English->Russian dictionary.

Where can I download the English only (with definitions)? Or does it exist?
Yes it does exist. I guess it should be available via Yar's website (http://www.pocketbookreader.com/Downloads.html).
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Thank you.

I presume it's the Websters included. It's finding words (if they're in the dictionary of course), but I can't type on the keyboard that pops up to search for words that way. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you.

I presume it's the Websters included. It's finding words (if they're in the dictionary of course), but I can't type on the keyboard that pops up to search for words that way. Any ideas?

Nah. Any one else? Never heard of that problem.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru

I see the keyboard (though it's nowhere near as nice as the one I saw before) when I bring up the 'entry' screen....but I can't type on it at all.

Ah well, not a big issue for me....more of a convenience one.

Thanks for trying...
Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
I see the keyboard (though it's nowhere near as nice as the one I saw before) when I bring up the 'entry' screen....but I can't type on it at all.

Ah well, not a big issue for me....more of a convenience one.

Thanks for trying...
I know someone will come up with a solution. Just relax.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
guyanonymous
Guru

Sorry if I didn't come across as relaxed...not my intent.

Since it arrived, I've enjoyed fiddling with the device, trying things, and figuring out how to make it work better for me. Hard to not feel relaxed while reading at the beach, the lake, etc....and this reader is a lot lighter than my old ebookwise...
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru

OK, I reset things, and put the default Eng-Russian dictionary back.

The keyboard works fine in it, but not in the other dictionaries present...It's a completely different keyboard, really just an array of letters in 3 groups (instead of the array of letters in individual boxes of the working keyboard)...

Problem described well in the start of this post (occurs for every .dic file I've tried other than the default eng-rus one): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...onary+keyboard

I've tried converting .dsl files as well as .xdxf files both with "eng" and "rus". In both cases, the basic keyboard that appears doesn't function at all, and the "rus" setting gives me a cyriclic keyboard. Has the dictionary converter software been updated?

Last edited by guyanonymous; 07-24-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
OK, I reset things, and put the default Eng-Russian dictionary back.

The keyboard works fine in it, but not in the other dictionaries present...It's a completely different keyboard, really just an array of letters in 3 groups (instead of the array of letters in individual boxes of the working keyboard)...

Problem described well in the start of this post (occurs for every .dic file I've tried other than the default eng-rus one): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...onary+keyboard

I've tried converting .dsl files as well as .xdxf files both with "eng" and "rus". In both cases, the basic keyboard that appears doesn't function at all, and the "rus" setting gives me a cyriclic keyboard. Has the dictionary converter software been updated?
Oh I think this might be a problem in the converting. I guess the people converting the dictionary have used a cyrillic keyboard as base and that's why it doesn't work right.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Guy,

This is a link to a Longmans Eng-Eng dictionary which I converted myself and uploaded to Rapidshare for another forum member. It works OK on my PB360.

Make sure you have your Keyboard set to EN in the settings.

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-23-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: link removed - copyright
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Jackie, might you post a little bit about how you did convert the dictionaries? I intend to convert a Spanish-Spanish dictionary and it's giving me hell.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Jackie, might you post a little bit about how you did convert the dictionaries? I intend to convert a Spanish-Spanish dictionary and it's giving me hell.
Hi Logseman, I'll have a go. I made myself a few notes at the time, compiled from various dictionary threads in this forum. (Many thanks to all original posters). This is what I wrote:
  1. Find a dictionary source file in
    DSL format (e.g. http://traduko.lib.ru/dics_en_en.html needs Google translate from Russian) or
  2. Unpack the PocketBook Dictionary Converter program (I used v4.1 but I can't remember where I downloaded it from).

3. Put the DSL (orXDXF) file into the same directory as the Dict Conv prog.

4. Open a Command prompt (I am a WinXP user) and make the Dict Conv directory the current directory. Then run
    converter.exe mydictfile.dsl eng
    or
    converter.exe mydictfile.xdxf eng
  5. This will create mydictfile.dic in the same directory which can be copied to PB360 system/dictionaries directory.

The blue bit, eng is important. It is the name of a subdir in the Dict Converter directory specifically for English. It contains instructions on how to handle things like singular/plural, and the keyboard layout for the PB keyboard. You will need a Spanish equivalent, i.e. a subdir called spa which contains all the Spanish "rules". Then in step 4 you would type spa rather than eng

Here is a spa directory that another forum member found (thanks to him/her). I 'm afraid that I do not speak any Spanish so I do not know how to correct the contents if they are not correct or complete.

I hope this helps. Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: zip spa.zip (1.7 KB, 516 views)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
guyanonymous
Guru

Thanks folks. Jackie - that's the exact syntax I used to create the files, and got most of them from the revdanica site.

I've attached an image of the keyboard I see in the default eng-rus dictionary that came with the device.

I've also attached an image of the keyboard I see for every other dictionary I've tried - including the Longman, posted above. It's working the same as the other dictionaries I've converted. The not-working keyboard pops up, and if I open the keyboard to enter a word directly, it freezes up - my only option being the big round back button.

Changes made to my system: updated to 15.2, added fbreader 180 to the system (though this happens in all the apps I've tried, including the basic dictionary app which is the one I most want to get working). This continues to occur after a hard-reset to factory (15.2) with no other changes to the system as well. The issue only seems to come up when hitting the little keyboard icon to bring up the keyboard(s) shown in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	any dictionary other than defaul eng-russian.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	55639   Click image for larger version

Name:	default eng-russian dictionary.JPG
Views:	617
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	55640  

Last edited by guyanonymous; 07-24-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
This is a known bug people have described before. The weird keyboard that is coming up is the one used by the PB360. It is very clever and works very well for a device without a touchscreen. It is designed for quick navigation using the silver ring.

But for a device with a touchscreen it's pointless. I don't know where the problem is, but this is a firmware issue.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I don't know where the problem is, but this is a firmware issue.
The dictionary must be made specifically for PB302. It will then work properly and it will also work on PB360.

Also you have to set the keyboard to Eng.
Once I had wrong keyboard definition on a borrowed PB302 that was created for PB360 and I had the same problem.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote