Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
One thing I -don't- want to see is them abandon the monochrome displays before the colour screens have the same black (ok, gray) and white (ok, gray) contrast that the current screen has. Otherwise for probably 98% of the text in a book you'll read, even in a textbook or technical manual, it would be a step backward. I don't see the benefits of colour outweighing that.

-MJ
Another disadvantage would be if the colour screens use "tricolour" colour formation methods as, for example, LCD screens do. This would reduce the inherent resolution by a factor of 3 - a 166 dpi mono screen would become a 56 dpi colour one - and that would have a disastrous effect on text quality.

I'd like to see colour screens, but not at the expense of reduced resolution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Another disadvantage would be if the colour screens use "tricolour" colour formation methods as, for example, LCD screens do. This would reduce the inherent resolution by a factor of 3 - a 166 dpi mono screen would become a 56 dpi colour one - and that would have a disastrous effect on text quality.
Not necessarily. That would give 9 coloured dots per pixel, when all that's needed is 3. The optimal reduction would be sqrt(3)=1.73, that's from 166 dpi mono to 96 dpi colour. I'd bet there's no physical layout of dot's with this optimal factor, but a reduction of 2 seems possible. from 166 to 83.

Besides, it seems the new 5" screes have a better resolution (200 dpi?), so the colour resolution could be 100 dpi already.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #18
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
100 dpi...no way! I want higher resolution, not lower.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
I guess I'm weird because I kind of prefer the black & white (or grey & dark grey, whatever ;-) ). More like an actual book.

Once we get color screens, it's no longer a special magical device for reading books - it's just another computer.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not necessarily. That would give 9 coloured dots per pixel, when all that's needed is 3. The optimal reduction would be sqrt(3)=1.73, that's from 166 dpi mono to 96 dpi colour. I'd bet there's no physical layout of dot's with this optimal factor, but a reduction of 2 seems possible. from 166 to 83.

Besides, it seems the new 5" screes have a better resolution (200 dpi?), so the colour resolution could be 100 dpi already.
True, the color system being proposed is actually 4 bits with a white one as well as the 3 colors. This will produce 100 dpi on a 5" screen with no other improvements. It is not clear how far the technology can go with smaller dots but 200 ppi is probably not the upper limit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #21
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
I guess I'm weird because I kind of prefer the black & white (or grey & dark grey, whatever ;-) ). More like an actual book.

Once we get color screens, it's no longer a special magical device for reading books - it's just another computer.
Well, it would still be E Ink, you know. So long battery life, low refresh rate, not so suited for general computing.

Besides, most books would probably still be rendered in black and white (or perhaps black on light brown?) so there won't be much of a difference.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #22
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I realize that this is all conjecture but surely with e ink being a subtractive colour system like paper, we would have to use the subtractive primaries so Cyan Magenta and Yellow would be the colours used with the addition of black (K) as used in traditional printing presses. As far as I am aware all colour systems using reflective light use CMYK or a variant thereof and all additive systems such as monitors and TV sets use RGB.

I think this makes it difficult to compare resolutions with screens.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #23
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can't wait for:

1) Colour E-ink and
2) cbz / cbr support and
3) both in an A4 sized reader!

Not too concerned with either bendiness OR flexabilty..
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...241#post451241

The answer is it depends. Various companies are working on RGBW and CMYK low-power stable reflective screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I realize that this is all conjecture but surely with e ink being a subtractive colour system like paper, we would have to use the subtractive primaries so Cyan Magenta and Yellow would be the colours used with the addition of black (K) as used in traditional printing presses. As far as I am aware all colour systems using reflective light use CMYK or a variant thereof and all additive systems such as monitors and TV sets use RGB.

I think this makes it difficult to compare resolutions with screens.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
True, the color system being proposed is actually 4 bits with a white one as well as the 3 colors. This will produce 100 dpi on a 5" screen with no other improvements. It is not clear how far the technology can go with smaller dots but 200 ppi is probably not the upper limit.

Dale
Given the choice between 100dpi colour, and 200dpi B&W, I'd personally go for the B&W every time. Good quality text is, for me, more important than colour.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Until a product is actually released, color eink is just a rumor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Until a product is actually released, color eink is just a rumor.
No, Fujitsu have a colour device out now. Very expensive and very slow, but it definitely exists.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, Fujitsu have a colour device out now. Very expensive and very slow, but it definitely exists.
This is true. My mistake. But I don't get excited about new technology until it's actually out. We've seen lots of different devices announced that have never seen the light of day. And the Fujitsu device is about $1300 US dollars. Not worth it IMHO.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #29
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The E-Ink guy I talked to says they are trying to make it whiter but so far this is the best they have been able to do. It will likely never be as white as a high quality paper book.
It is in their favour though that most books use creme/off-white colour paper instead of pure white. Pure white tends to be used more with textbooks and other non-leisure reading titles.

Not to suggest I know for a fact that the creme/off-white of your average dead-tree novel is reachable by eInk; but just to note that their target need not necessarily be the #FFFFFF white of HTML fame.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #30
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
At least with color you can get the kids reading easier. I look forward to illustrated books and multimedia kids books.

When you consider the potential of ebook readers, they can make books with animated pictures/videos, sound bytes, or each page could have a backing track (imagine snow white with a soundtrack for each page).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote