Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 05:42 AM   #136
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Do you think its contrast without light is worse than pearl screens ?
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #137
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
I'm curious if anyone feels that the blacks just aren't that dark on the Likebook. I got mine about a week ago, and I've been very impressed with the speed and how it handles PDFs with the right Android apps.

But in terms of just the display itself, it's also sharp enough, but the contrast isn't great. In comparison to either the Paperwhite or the Voyage, it just feels like the blacks aren't as black and the background isn't as white, and by quite a wide margin.
I'd say on the ones I have, the Voyage is the best--the blackest black and best contrast. Oasis 2 second. Likebook's black definitely isn't as black, but it's okay. I use nightmode most of the time, so I notice a black that isn't as "dense". The color of the K0A2 is warmer than the Likebook and the white may not be quite as light. Would be nice if they had a contrast setting.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #138
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Do you think its contrast without light is worse than pearl screens ?
I don't have my old devices any more so I can't compare side by side. I think I've been quite spoiled by the amazing contrast on the Voyage, so switching over was a bit of a shock. But the more I use the Likebook Plus, the more I like it. The contrast isn't as good, but it's quite a versatile little device.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #139
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
Here you can see how to do it in previous Boyue devices

I could find the shutdownanimation.zip file with the image inside but I haven't been able to replace it.
Thanks for pointing this set of instructions out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77endymion77 View Post
Change shutdown image
The default shutdown image is located in the archive /system/media/shutdownanimation.zip.

0) prepare your new image:
name = Open_screen_1.png
size = 758x1024
resolution = 72
1) copy shutdownanimation.zip to sdcard (using file explorer with root)
2) move this file from sdcard to PC
3) open file with winrar and in folder part0 delete file Open_screen_1.png
4) in winrar move your new image to the folder part0
5) in winrar save the archive with compression method store
6) move the archive with new image from PC to sdcard
7) move shutdownanimation.zip from sdcard to /system/media/ (using file explorer with root - overwrite or rename old archive)
I found the shutdownanimation.zip file mentioned in /system/media/ I copied the file to the SD Card, then copied the file to my PC. I extracted the Open_screen_1.png image and added the following to the existing image:

This ereader belongs to John Smith
If found please call John @
212-555-1212

I then replaced the image in the zip file. It was critical that the image in the zip file is simply stored in the file and not compressed. I could not find a way to simply replace the file without compression using Windows or 7 zip so I grabbed a trial version of Winrar from this page. Then I replaced the Open_screen_1.png image with my modified image. When adding this new image I made sure to change Compression Method from Normal to Store, see attached. Using Store does not alter the file at all, it simply places the file in the zip.

I then copied the file to the SD Card. Before copying the file to /system/media/ directory I went to the directory and renamed the existing shutdownanimation.zip file to shutdownanimation.zip.bak. Now I copied the new shutdownanimation.zip file to the original /system/media/ directory.

Next time I shut the ereader down, my new image displayed as I had hoped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	store.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	161972  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-31-2018 at 07:59 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #140
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Then I replaced the Open_screen_1.png image with my modified image. When adding this new image I made sure to change Compression Method from Normal to Store, see attached. Using Store does not alter the file at all, it simply places the file in the zip.
[/LEFT]

I then copied the file to the SD Card. Before copying the file to /system/media/ directory I went to the directory and renamed the existing shutdownanimation.zip file to shutdownanimation.zip.bak. Now I copied the new shutdownanimation.zip file to the original /system/media/ directory.

Next time I shut the ereader down, my new image displayed as I had hoped.
Thanks for posting your results. Finally I figured out why it didn't work in my case. I was uncompressing the folder, replacing the image and then compressing again that folder (with the 'store' option). What I had to do is to open the file shutdownanimation.zip with Winrar and dragging the new image inside of Winrar and then choose the 'store' option.
It worked
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #141
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
Thanks for posting your results. Finally I figured out why it didn't work in my case. I was uncompressing the folder, replacing the image and then compressing again that folder (with the 'store' option). What I had to do is to open the file shutdownanimation.zip with Winrar and dragging the new image inside of Winrar and then choose the 'store' option.
It worked
You did exactly what I did, but I would have bet your initial method would have worked too. Glad to hear we are slowly figuring out the finer points.

Any idea how to do a screen shot on these devices?

Update: I was hoping for a button press screenshot ability, but I went ahead and installed Screenshot Easy app and used that app to take screenshots.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-31-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #142
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Any idea how to do a screen shot on these devices?

Update: I was hoping for a button press screenshot ability, but I went ahead and installed Screenshot Easy app and used that app to take screenshots.
I also had to install a third app to take screenshots
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #143
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
You can also set button to do screen shots using GravityBox. Making main button to open recent apps and volume panel made device more useful to me.
Also does anyone knows of any alternative covers? It does not feel protective enough as I like to carry e-reader a lot.
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #144
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neru View Post
You can also set button to do screen shots using GravityBox. Making main button to open recent apps and volume panel made device more useful to me.
This sounds great. Can you link to the GravityBox App you use?

Quote:
Also does anyone knows of any alternative covers? It does not feel protective enough as I like to carry e-reader a lot.
Alternative to what? Not having a cover? I got the auto sleep cover when I purchased my reader last year and it seems quite sturdy to me. Here is the link to the cover without that feature. Other than these, I know of no other covers at this time.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #145
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Alternative to what? Not having a cover? I got the auto sleep cover when I purchased my reader last year and it seems quite sturdy to me. Here is the link to the cover without that feature. Other than these, I know of no other covers at this time.
The previous poster could always carry it around in a protective sleeve should the cover on its own be felt to provide insufficient protection. You can buy sleeves in pretty much any size. Any sleeve sized to fit an 8" tablet would probably be OK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #146
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The previous poster could always carry it around in a protective sleeve should the cover on its own be felt to provide insufficient protection. You can buy sleeves in pretty much any size. Any sleeve sized to fit an 8" tablet would probably be OK.
Excellent point.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #147
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Quote:
This sounds great. Can you link to the GravityBox App you use?

GravityBox is a module of Xposed. Link for xposed is here http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.ro...osed.installer
After installing Xposed and its framework you can install GravityBox. Link http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.ceco.gm2.gravitybox

About cover- I just like alternative things like third-party covers. Something that would protect not only device back but front frame as well would be great. Thanks @HarryT for pointing it out, it would be better to put it into sleeve indeed.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #148
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
GravityBox is a module of Xposed. Link for xposed is here http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.ro...osed.installer
After installing Xposed and its framework you can install GravityBox. Link http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.ceco.gm2.gravitybox
Thanks for the explanation, it's appreciated.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #149
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I was able to get the long presses on the Status bar Home and Back buttons to open recent apps and the volume panel, which is a plus. But I was unable to get the main physical button to reliably change its function.

Any tips?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #150
Neru
!!!

Quote:
I was able to get the long presses on the Status bar Home and Back buttons to open recent apps and the volume panel, which is a plus. But I was unable to get the main physical button to reliably change its function.

Any tips?
Physical button acts as "back" button and it seems that it doesn't recognise long press, only double press.