Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #61
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You need a custom ACX that uses Wikipedia directly rather than proxying through Amazon. You will probably need to write it yourself, but here is the hack to enable custom ACXs and a link to the docs.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235859
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #62
mracct14
mracct14 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
What functionality do you gain by fake registering a PW2 device that you don't have if the device is unregistered, assuming you have blocked all of Amazon's servers using BBB Firewall or otherwise? As far as I can tell, all of the features that require registration also require access to Amazon's servers.
mracct14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #63
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Editing collections via the builtin UI.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #64
jeevcat
jeevcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Writing a file to /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo causes my Kindle to get stuck in a boot loop. I'm running the latest firmware on a PW2. Any reason this might be happening?
jeevcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Perhaps because you are running "the latest firmware" -
whatever you mean by that phrase at this time and place.

- - - -

If you meant one of the 5.6.x firmware versions -
I don't recall anyone reporting trying this method of fake registration on any of those versions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #66
jeevcat
jeevcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Sorry, I meant 5.6.2.1. Does that mean that the reginfo method will not work for newer firmware version? Should I attempt to downgrade to an older firmware?
jeevcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #67
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You cannot downgrade without rebooting into the diags partition and flashing the main kernel with `dd`.

Whatever your reasons for fake-registering, you might want to consider registering with a fake email address and leaving the WiFi off or using the BBB (Block Big Brother) Firewall (KUAL extension).
Old 06-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #68
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcat View Post
Sorry, I meant 5.6.2.1.

Does that mean that the reginfo method will not work for newer firmware version?

Should I attempt to downgrade to an older firmware?
I don't know, you are the first to post about their experiences when trying it.

If your satisfied with your testing of this old method on the 5.6 series firmware -
Then I guess you found that it doesn't work.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #69
ohofke
ohofke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
It does not work in firmware 5.6. But what about 5.4.5? My Kindle was "canceled" by Amazon.
ohofke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #70
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohofke View Post
It does not work in firmware 5.6.
But what about 5.4.5?
My Kindle was "canceled" by Amazon.
I re-read this entire thread and did not see any reports about 5.4.5.

I don't own a PW-2, so I can't try it myself ('it' being the fake registration, the IPTables entries **should** still do the blocking intended).

Hmm....
I am pretty sure that 5.4.5 is new enough that it was shipped as a complete image.

You will have to do the downgrade 'by hand' - since the 5.6 series is protected from "downgrade attacks" (Lab126's phrase for it).

You will have to take the Amazon image apart (with KindleTool) to get at the files that need to be transferred.
That is, unless we have a 5.4.5 image (set) posted for the purpose of de-bricking.
It would be best to check the 'manual' de-bricking threads about that before trying to DIY.

Once you have the image files in the form needed for the eMMC partition -
Then as mentioned above, you will have to boot into Diags and dd the image file into place.
Same directions as for putting the 'Main' de-bricking image on the Kindle that you can find in our older, 'manual' de-bricking threads.

- - - -

In the terms used by this forum -
A PW2 running firmware 5.6.x must be treated the same as a bricked Kindle (say thank you, Amazon).

Last edited by knc1; 06-22-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #71
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Or just use the fw5.4.0 images that Ixtab is hosting: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/
Then if necessary upgrade to desired firmware the usual way by sideloading a standard update.

@ohofke, what do you mean, your Kindle was "canceled"?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #72
ohofke
ohofke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Or just use the fw5.4.0 images that Ixtab is hosting: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/
Then if necessary upgrade to desired firmware the usual way by sideloading a standard update.

@ohofke, what do you mean, your Kindle was "canceled"?
I will try this. I did not want to lose Jailbreak.

Eschwartz, the screen broke and Amazon sent another to me.
ohofke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohofke View Post
I will try this. I did not want to lose Jailbreak.

Eschwartz, the screen broke and Amazon sent another to me.
*) It was assumed (at least by me) that you would install the jailbreak into any set of image files you created, before transferring them to the Kindle.

*) The term is: "Blacklisted"
Old 06-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #74
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Ah -- your device was exchanged and blacklisted. So even if you wanted to register you can't.

Downgrading via ixtab's 5.4.0 images should work. It does include an old version of the jailbreak, upgrade that or a surprise 5.6.x OTA will bork everything.
(Does Amazon send OTA updates to blacklisted devices? I don't see why, but then again I don't see why not...)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #75
knc1
Going Viral

I think that it is the Kindle that **requests** if an update is available.
(I.E: a "pull" not a "push")

That might not involve ever checking if it was registered.
I don't recall if anyone ever looked at the sequence of things done when the Kindle calls home.

Tags
collections, fake registration, hacks, paperwhite, registration