Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-05-2018, 02:32 AM   #16
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyray520 View Post
However, I know this is a style thing, but can you fix the plugin so it DOES NOT automatically put the square brackets around the footnote number?
The square brackets may not look aesthetically pleasing, but as Roger64 has already pointed out, they make it easier to select footnote links. If you don't like them you'll have to change the source code yourself.

If you have a Windows machine, use the following commands to display the FootnoteLinker plugin folder:
  1. Press Windows+R (Run).
  2. Copy and paste %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\FootnoteLinker and press Enter.
and change the following two lines in plugin.py:

1. Change line 229 from:

Code:
                each_tag.a.string = '[' + str(sup_counter) + ']'
to:

Code:
                each_tag.a.string = str(sup_counter)
2. Change line 237 from:

Code:
                each_tag.string = '[' + str(sup_counter) + ']'
to:

Code:
                each_tag.string = str(sup_counter)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:50 AM   #17
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Hi,

just my 2 cents: This is a usability thing and tapping on Screen may end up in several actions deending if you were able to hit the hot spot. If you miss it even by only 1 Pixel you may mark some text or going back or forward one page or whatever depending on the reader you are using.

Personally i don't like numbers only and the wurst thin is to put in into a <sup> element...

But maybe its possible to enhance the plugin by some kind of a template like

Code:
[=> %text ]
to get an individual link to the (foot)note? As you can see, i personally do not only have brackets around it, but an arrow as well. That makes the link "clickable" for my fingers

|\/|aui
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
billyray520
billyray520 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks everyone for you quick replies! I have looked at (and appreciate) your solutions!

The problem I had with Sigil, is that for some reason I couldn't do a Regex search for the square brackets, only a non-Regex search would find them. So I made two passes of looking for "[" and "]" to eliminate them. I replaced them with a space. The resulting footnote links unfortunately had varying size underlines, so it wasn't a perfect solution, but acceptable. This was only the first chapter in which I tried this FootnoteLinker plugin. It was VERY helpful, indeed! I had 46 footnotes in it. But I have HUNDREDS of chapters left to annotate.

I should also mention that I am pretty new to ebook publishing.

I had a look around in Doitsu's source code and could see where he inserts the square brackets. I thought maybe I could modify it to just use a space instead and rezip it back into its .zip file. I changed the name just so I would know which one was which. But unfortunately Sigil would not accept my modified plugin as a valid plugin. So that is why I thought maybe Doitsu would think about this possible modification. It's just too good a plugin NOT to use!

@Doitsu: Thanks for the idea on changing the source. My way didn't work.

I understand everyone's concern about clicking a little footnote link. However, I am patterning my book along the lines of a commercially done one, and it works adequately, while not as easy as having a link with all sorts of "decorations" it must be remembered (in my case -I'm working on a Bible) that not everyone is interested in the footnotes, so having the footnotes be less conspicuous can enhance the reading experience if not the "clicking" one!

Last edited by billyray520; 04-05-2018 at 08:10 AM.
billyray520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Square brackets themselves are regex special characters and as such must be escaped in the regex itself so they are interpretted as just normal characters.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #20
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Doitsu: Thanks for the idea on changing the source. My way didn't work.
I've attached a patched version, which doesn't add square brackets, for your convenience.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FootnoteLinker_v0.3.2.1.zip (6.6 KB, 408 views)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #21
billyray520

@ KevinH: Thanks for the word about escaping the special characters! I found the Regex help page. That will help a lot.

@ Doitsu: Thanks for the special edition plugin! It worked great!

Now I have another problem..

The ebook I am editing has about 1750 html files most of which will need footnotes added. Is it possible to do use this plugin over and over on various files? I can't put ALL of the notes into one note html. I will need to have many different pages of note files related to groups of html documents (books of the Bible). Am I asking too much of this plugin?

What worked this last time was deleting the files that were already footnoted with FootnoteLinker, and running the plugin on the new files. Then reinserting the deleted files. But that will become too cumbersome in little time as you can imagine.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Am I asking too much of this plugin?
You might find another Sigil footnote plugin more useful for your purposes: Easy Endnote Insertion
Old 04-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #23
billyray520

I've got another idea! I like your plugin better for several reasons. One of them is that your plugin uses footnotes in a separate file, not inline. I need that.

What I think I will try is using your test.epub and adding the bodytext and note page html's that I want footnoted and deleting your little test files, and updating with the correct css for the footnotes. Then, run your plugin and save the two files externally. Then re-import them into the main epub I'm working on. I should have time to try this out by tomorrow. I would totally be willing to do this, if it will let me continue using your plugin..

Update: Ok, I've tried it on a couple of files that were already footnoted, and it functioned perfectly!

Last edited by billyray520; 04-06-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Couldn't you also add all of the footnotes to one file initially, and then mark/split it into logical sections after all the notes have been created? Sigil's Split feature will adjust all the links automatically.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #25
billyray520

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Couldn't you also add all of the footnotes to one file initially, and then mark/split it into logical sections after all the notes have been created? Sigil's Split feature will adjust all the links automatically.
I see what you mean.. That's another good idea that I think I will be using!

This forum has been TERRIFIC!! I would be pulling my hair out if I didn't have this plugin! This Bible I am annotating has about the same amount of text in the form of notes as the text of the Bible itself! Now I can just concentrate on scanning, converting and proofreading all of these notes..

Last edited by billyray520; 04-07-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #26
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
I made two passes of looking for "[" and "]" to eliminate them. I replaced them with a space. The resulting footnote links unfortunately had varying size underlines, so it wasn't a perfect solution,
That's probably due to justification stretching the spaces.
You could use a fixed width space, like an en or em space.
Or better I think, do it with padding in CSS:

I used this for my notes:
Code:
<a href="../Text/42-notes.html#n2" id="n2" class="noteref">[2]</a> 

.noteref { font-weight: bold; font-size:0.85em;padding: 0 0.25em; }
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #27
billyray520

Another question: Would it be possible to have words be links to the footnotes instead of a number? And conversely, have those same words be links back to the original text?

Because this is a bible, I have two type of footnotes on every page: word links and verse number links. The verse number links already work fine, but I hope there's a way to have word links go to a (different) footnote too. I mean using footnotelinker of course...

I can't really use easyendnote because these would be very large footnotes, sometimes many paragraphs. I would definitely prefer to keep the footnotes separate not intermingled in the main text. I want the notes to be accessible at the end of the chapter too.

Last edited by billyray520; 05-11-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #28
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Another question: Would it be possible to have words be links to the footnotes instead of a number? [...]
It'd certainly be possible. However, since it'd require major code changes, it's highly unlikely that I'll implement such a feature in a future version.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #29
billyray520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It'd certainly be possible. However, since it'd require major code changes, it's highly unlikely that I'll implement such a feature in a future version.
Oh well.. Thought I'd ask..
Old 04-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #30
beluga438
beluga438 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Muse
[Plugin] Footnote Linker

Please excuse my english wich is not as good as I would like.

I have installed and ran Footnote Linker.

I have noticed the following problem :
In Sigil : I click Tools / Reports / Links
In the column « Match ? » there should be « Yes » on all lines but instead there is « no » or it is empty.

I think there is a problem in the endnotes.xhtml :
Eg : <p class="note" id="ftn..."><a class="noteSymbol" href="../Text….

I think the id="ftn..." should be positionned after the <a
<p class="note"><a id="ftn1" class="noteSymbol" href="../Text…

Then click Tools / Reports / Links : all the « Match ? » are now « yes »

Thank you for any help.
beluga438 is offline   Reply With Quote