Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Nook HD+ serious battery drain issue

Our Nook HD+ (Running rooted stock) is experiencing serious battery drain. It goes from 100% to critically low after just a short time of use.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was your solution?

I am thinking of factory resetting it. But maybe I'll delete a bunch of apps, first.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Was getting precipitous battery drops....25% at a time just sitting idle. So I factory reset and did not select root (was surprised I had the option, I wonder if the same holds true when factory resetting a rooted HD?). Thus can't install the Amazon App store or WWE network at this time. So now to see how the battery reacts.

My 11 dd seems to be the one who uses this tablet the most and says she doesn't need any Amazon apps on it, so we'll keep it like that, for now.
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've noticed that my N2A-carded Nook HD+ tends not to show the correct battery percentage amount and will stay on, say, 98 percent when it is actually 21 percent. I never leave it with the wireless on, but if I don't use it for a day or two, it'll need a full charge.

I should boot it over to the original Nook HD+ side and see how long the battery lasts that way, I suppose.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
FWIW, my HD+ running CM11 with light use (~15min of email, bbs/web surfing) and with WiFi off when asleep drains ~3-4%/day.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

It's been idle since I reset it and the battery is holding like it's supposed to. It was probably some app leftover or something draining it in the background.
Advert
Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
I haven't had that happen with my Nook, but on my Galaxy S4 I had to delete The Weather Channel app for causing a similar problem. And even after it was deleted, it kept draining the battery until I rebooted! Never had that happen before, but I'm not using it again after that.

You can try using apps to check your battery drain, I like GSam Battery Monitor, it helps you narrow things down a lot. (And if you buy the icon pack you can overlay the default battery icon with a much nicer one that has numbers on it. )
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
wehrd1
wehrd1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD Color
I was having this same issue, and it just started happening. I did a reboot (hold down the power button for 20 seconds) what was just showing as a red shut down warning, is now showing 92% battery charge.

I hope this fixed it.
wehrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrd1 View Post
I was having this same issue, and it just started happening. I did a reboot (hold down the power button for 20 seconds) what was just showing as a red shut down warning, is now showing 92% battery charge.

I hope this fixed it.
I had to do that last night. My daughter experienced several times where she unplugged it and it went from 100% charged to dead in a second. Plugging back in did nothing, still the black screen with the dead battery image. After rebooting, she was able to use it.

I wonder what the life span on these things is. This tablet has been used significantly less than the Nook HDs in the house, which are going strong.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
wehrd1
wehrd1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD Color
UPDATE: i left my Nook HD color plugged in for an extended period of time and the battery indicator never went past 1%. I think the battery is hosed. A trip to B&N is in order
wehrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Well, the Nook HD+ did come out at the tail end of 2012 so it could just be that the battery is toast. Lithium batteries tend to only last on average about 2-3 years or a certain number of charge cycles before they begin to lose capacity (which varies heavily).

The longest a Li-ion/polymer battery has ever lasted for me before it went completely dead is 5 years. And starting at the fourth year it was beginning to have capacity trouble... so really 4 years if you think about it that way.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well ours was bought new in June 2013. So it's only 17 months old. It hasn't had "heavy" use. So I guess if it lasts til next June I'll have to say we got our money's worth.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well ours was bought new in June 2013. So it's only 17 months old. It hasn't had "heavy" use. So I guess if it lasts til next June I'll have to say we got our money's worth.
This is one of the things that bothers me about super expensive devices that don't feature replaceable batteries. I still end up purchasing those devices, but I do think really hard about how much money I am willing to spend knowing that the device, no matter how expensive, will be compromised by the battery in 2-3 (5 max) years if the recharges don't get it first.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #13
lifer109
lifer109 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard and now Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
This is one of the things that bothers me about super expensive devices that don't feature replaceable batteries. I still end up purchasing those devices, but I do think really hard about how much money I am willing to spend knowing that the device, no matter how expensive, will be compromised by the battery in 2-3 (5 max) years if the recharges don't get it first.
There are replacement batteries out there. And recently having my HD+ die on me, I opened it up. Not hard to do and would be worth doing if you like the Nook.
lifer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #14
Anthem
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer109 View Post
There are replacement batteries out there. And recently having my HD+ die on me, I opened it up. Not hard to do and would be worth doing if you like the Nook.
I consider the Nook an inexpensive device and even though the battery was never bad on the one that I had if I had wanted to stick with the Nook I would have simply purchased a new one at the end of its life.

It is true that there are replacement batteries available for almost anything. A lot of these batteries are horrible quality, so always watch out for that unless you love living dangerously. Also, many tablets are not designed to be serviced by the user, so you void your warranty (if it is still under it) when you open it up.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #15
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I've noticed that my N2A-carded Nook HD+ tends not to show the correct battery percentage amount and will stay on, say, 98 percent when it is actually 21 percent. I never leave it with the wireless on, but if I don't use it for a day or two, it'll need a full charge.

I should boot it over to the original Nook HD+ side and see how long the battery lasts that way, I suppose.
After speaking to Tech Support at Barnes & Noble, I recently did a complete reset on my Nook HD+ because my battery life was very erratic, as others in this thread have described. For me, it would do the following:

- Go from fully charged, to a charge warning (at about 5% of a charge) after a short time of use.

- After plugging it in and fully charging it, after removing the cord the charge would drop to around 50%. Removing the cord and plugging it back in would continue the charging process.

After resetting my Nook HD+, I avoided installing an app I had that monitored battery life (it was originally for my NookColor and there was no indication that it was incompatible with the Nook HD+) and other potentially battery-draining apps to see if that was part of the problem. Still, it didn't seem to solve the problem (it went from over 90% to a charge warning after about 15 minutes of use).

Due to this, I've returned to using my NookColor as my main ereader. It doesn't seem to have the battery issues that I had with my Nook HD+, dropping to about 85% after 2 days of moderate use without a charge.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 01-29-2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote