Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
sweco
sweco began at the beginning.

Device: none
Interactive EPUB drag and drop

I'm trying to create a game for children in EPUB. I want to create some boxes they could drag and drop to the correct place. It is some kind of a game where you have to order words in a sentence.

From here I've learned that in EPUB it is probably possible only using JS. https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1990863
Is there any way this could be done more easily in Sigil without programming (e.g. some plugin, ...)?
sweco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
D & D is not a end user (the Kids) feature of EPUB2 (I don't know about EPUB3).

Sigil and Calibre editors are mainly about EPUB2 (they just tolerate EPUB3 )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sigil and Calibre editors are mainly about EPUB2 (they just tolerate EPUB3 )
Sigil does more than just tolerate EPUB3; it actually handles quite a bit of the spec now (and our goal has always been to eventually support it fully). Having said that, though, I believe attempting to use an ebook medium to create games is a mistake.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
sweco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I believe attempting to use an ebook medium to create games is a mistake.
I know it is probably true but it is supposed to be an educational book... But we want it interactive. So you think the only possibility for us is to do it using Javascript?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweco View Post
So you think the only possibility for us is to do it using Javascript?
Yes I do. I have no idea if Sigil's javascript/webkit would support such a thing, but regardless ... there's not going to be any shortcut here. A lot of manual coding would be required.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is to create an iOS app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
sweco

Thank you both for your advice. I see there is no "easy" way of doing this in EPUB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My suggestion is to create an iOS app.
We wanted EPUB because it will be a book and for its portability, but we can achieve the same with a Phonegap application probably and it would be Android, iOS.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweco View Post
Thank you both for your advice. I see there is no "easy" way of doing this in EPUB.
And honestly, no "easy" way to do that in an app, either. There are some websites out there promulgating the idea that you can build apps using D&D, and voila!, instant app, but that's only true if you are fairly insensitive to the attractiveness or sophistication of the app.

Quote:
We wanted EPUB because it will be a book and for its portability, but we can achieve the same with a Phonegap application probably and it would be Android, iOS.
IME, apps are as, if not more, portable than ebooks. But each is its own thing. I mean, it may LOOK like a book, but it's really an educational game.

On top of everything else--what eReaders would play it? iBooks, only? I don't think I know of any ePUB reader for Droid that would simply "work" with that type of functionality, at lest, not reliably.

FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drag and drop, epub