Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 03:22 AM   #106
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could you summarise for those of us who don't speak Dutch?
-> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6399&page=4#60
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 AM   #107
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Google translates:

So not all is lost, provided they get the loans required to go on.

Sure, and Santa Claus is coming, too.

We're waiting for new Irex ereaders and a new Amiga from Commodore...
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #108
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post

Have a bit of faith man
25 years since Amiga 500 came out, the community is still going strong! The OS is still being developed as well.
I do hope iRex survives, they were the pioneers after all.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I do hope iRex survives, they were the pioneers after all.
Trouble is, they were only ever hardware poineers; the firmware (with the iLiad at least - less so with the DR1000) never achieved the potential of what the machine promised.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #110
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post

How about being more polite instead of P***ing off everybody with a different device?

Last edited by joblack; 07-05-2010 at 04:17 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #111
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Trouble is, they were only ever hardware poineers; the firmware (with the iLiad at least - less so with the DR1000) never achieved the potential of what the machine promised.
I'm highly satisfied with my Irex Iliad. I own it for over 3 years and the display is still very fresh and readable. I would buy the Irex 1000S if I had the money.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #112
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux View Post
Well. I think a 9" reader is kind of pointless, because it does not fit into pocket. If one needs to read books with larger page size and with more graphics, then he should use a tablet pc. E-Ink display is good only for text books, like novels.
I used to think the same thing. I even joked that the Kindle DX case needed wheels and a retractable handle to lung the thing around. Unfortunately, as I grow older, I find that spending more than an hour at backlit screen makes my eyes sting and water, so I started looking for an e-Ink device for my academic and technical reading needs. The 8" IREX is practically perfect and I've been quite pleased with the hardware, but their bankruptcy has sent be looking for another solution (one with a warranty and support). After being spoiled by the 8" IREX screen, Sony Daily's 7" just doesn't cut it, so I've come back to the 9" DX.

I'll agree that, if pocket-ability is your primary concern, a 9" display is a poor choice. But, if you have sensitive eyes and want to spend long hours reading PDF files with structures that don't reflow well, a large e-Ink display is ideal.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #113
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Yes, no TOC on the DX -- a major downside for me too.
The lack of PDF TOC support is a much bigger feature gap than the inability to highlight/annotate PDF. I keep hoping that a future firmware update will add support.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #114
trekchick
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
30mb is underestimating the size, if you put in 50 images, that might be so, but the average textbook would have in excess of 100.
I'm looking through my electronic textbook library. Most are high school and college-level math and science texts, but I have some sociology, history and foreign language (lots of conjugation charts and graphics for vocabulary). The largest text book I have is 28 MB; the average size of the 87 text books I have is 17 MB.

Since 75% of my text books are McGraw-Hill titles, and my areas of concentration are not all-inclusive, I do not claim that my books are representative of all text books. I only suggest that text books may not be universally as large as you might think.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #115
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
sure, good points, I might have overestimated this, actually I did overestimate this. That said, imho, 3gb is self evidently very very low for such class of a device. If you stick in a half decent reference library (because one that's the biggest strength of an e-reader references on the go) you get up to about 2gb and you are done.

Last edited by harryE123; 07-05-2010 at 06:27 PM.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #116
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
HarryE123, you sound like a "have-all" freak. It's like if you can't bring along every conceivable ebook you own with you wherever you go, then you're gonna' rant! That's a crazy way of looking at things. I mean, how many ebooks do you plan on reading at one go?

It sounds like you're the kinda guy who when he gets his ereader out spends hours drooling over the amazingly large collection he has at his fingertips and very little actual time reading anything! Or maybe the kinda of guy who has to have every conceivable accessory for his ereader for it to be a meaningful experience. BTW, have you bought your iRex toothbrush or iRex underpants? No! Tut tut! :-( Sadly, Amazon still haven't released their Kindle toothbrush yet. Now go rant about it! Happy reading! :-)
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #117
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
I agree Harry - there were many discussions on this forum about this very issue. I have been and remain the strong advocate for the point that Irex is the maker of its own demise through sloppy business practices.
But still I hope they pull through and someone a bit more business savvy takes over.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I agree Harry - there were many discussions on this forum about this very issue. I have been and remain the strong advocate for the point that Irex is the maker of its own demise through sloppy business practices.
But still I hope they pull through and someone a bit more business savvy takes over.
So do I. I bought both an iLiad and a DR1000S - I still have the latter.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #119
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Can someone tell me why the graphite version will not be available internationally?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #120
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
How long is a piece of string .....

You can say that about many things ..... e-readers too .... (Nook?)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote