Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
So... Why can't I order the K3 from UK's Amazon?

I'm from Portugal, a little more than 2 hour flight from the UK. I've ordered books from amazon.co.uk, which usually only take 2-5 days, no express shipping needed.

So, I was thinking about buying a K3, specially because without the more expensive delivery costs and custom taxes, it really was a temting piece of business.

Unfortunately, the site says non-uk customers must order from US.

You just lost an impulse buyer, Amazon.

But why this restriction? The logical think would be to allow european clients to buy from the UK (or FR, DE) stores!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
I think they did that as amazon.uk also is simply getting them delivered for the us, anyway it doesnt make a difference in price as vat is then already in the uk version. I wanted to order from the UK too but I dont think its too bad one can only order from the US as it doesnt make a difference. At least for me in germany it would be the same cost ordering from the us with shipping and customs, as if I ordered it in the UK (maybe a few Euros difference).
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I, naturally, went to the UK site first as well (I mean, there's only a bit of water between our two countries), but was redirected to the US site. Oh well, I just ordered it there...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Unfortunately I have to agree with the topic starter. I wouldnt have any custom fees if I could get it from co.uk becaues of EU, but if I get it from .com I would surely have to paly an amount I cannot predict. Maybe up to half the value of Kindle.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Yes, it does seem odd, especially as Portugal and the UK are both in the EU, which is supposed to promote a single market.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Probably not true, because you don't have to pay any import fees when importing a computer device in the eu. So you'll only pay taxes (wich you pay in the UK as well). Or did you think Amazon doesn't have to pay any taxes / import fees?
+ if your country does have import fees, then amazon.com will charge you with them before you get the device, so there are no extra costs (only if this apply's to your country = look at the list on amazon.com)!
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
The price on amazon.co.uk already has the taxes included which means the end price is approximately the same as ordering from amazon.com as they automatically charge the probable taxes and pay them to customs so that the package doesnt get hung up in customs. So it really doesnt make much of a difference!
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I got an added $40 for import preparation, I assume this is vakue added tax and import duties rolled into one item, those $40 I would not need to pay if bought from the UK site, being part of the EU.
Someone needs to write our representatives in Strasbourg and point out this blatant restriction of the integrated market.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
eɪ.li.ən
Sci-Fi junkie
eɪ.li.ən began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Amazon US: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi only + import fees deposit + shipping and handling = $199.98.

Amazon UK: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi only + shipping and handling = £115.73.

£115.73 = $184

I can live with it.
eɪ.li.ən is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
So can I, without any problem. It was more about principles. Small countries need the EU more than large countries.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I have ordered from amazon.co.uk because I have a UK credit card and billing address that I can use. But I have come up against this problem before with electronic goods. In Switzerland I couldn't order from amazon.co.uk, amazon.fr or amazon.de. Don't know why but I think there may be legal reasons.

Recently, I wanted to get a DVD of the French film Tous les Matins du Monde. I could only get it from amazon.fr but for copyright reasons they would not send it to a non-French address. It was the same with other French suppliers.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Import preparation is not available for all countries and the price could easily exceed $40, as customs people in my country charge devices like Kindle up to 100 Euros.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I've payed 148$ in import fees when I bought my Kindle DXi + "cheap" cover. I figure the import fees will be lower for the smaller priced K3, yet, even if the difference would be 15$ (it varies a lot from country to country), it's good money. It could help to pay a cover (add import fees for that) buy a couple books or save a leper kid in Africa.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote