Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2019, 04:51 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What makes you think users ran the old viewer with default settings

This is 3.48 viewer with control bars hidden,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-22 183428.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	174449

This is 3.48 viewer with control bars shown,

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-22 183633.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	174450

I pressed the default shortcut key to toggle show/hide controls.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturox View Post
Well, how about that...

Portable version on a desktop... That had not crossed my mind, even though I do have a number of portable apps on a small USB SSD I take with me when I'm away.

Installed a portable version of Calibre 3.48 on the desktop computer. Joy! now have a suitable Ebook viewer available.

The only thing K... needs to do now it return the old style (aesthetically superior) viewer to the 4.nn version then I'll be totally happy.

But I guess that ain't gonna happen.

Ax

Nb: Thanks to all who offered thoughts... Appreciated.

Footnote:

FWIW. I'm not the only one here (Home) who is lost as to why such a downgrade of the Ebook viewer was even considered...

SWMBO was most annoyed (I'm being polite) when her Calibre 3.nn updated to 4.nn before we were aware of the change.

Ax
You still don't 'get it': The choice was NOT all Kovids.

Calibre is built on a foundation of Open Source tools. Some of those TOOLS are no longer safe/maintained/compatible with newer OS. (and it would be insane to try and maintain multiple streams: old OS and New OS )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What makes you think users ran the old viewer with default settings

BR
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

My viewer had the toolbar on the RIGHT SIDE (because that is where I move the mouse to be OFF the text). I used Paged Mode, 1 up view, NO custom styles as I wanted to SEE what it would look like and a bunch of other settings.
I File-to-fit to MY style of things, just like BR does it his way.

This is LIFE. My shop toolbox is loaded with the tools I find work for ME.
FWIW Calibre and Sigil) fit into MY way of doing things.

If a tool does not fit, find another tool.
Is the new viewer perfect ? No, but give Kovid time. There ARE real, broken issues he is stomping into submission
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You still don't 'get it': The choice was NOT all Kovids.

Calibre is built on a foundation of Open Source tools. Some of those TOOLS are no longer safe/maintained/compatible with newer OS. (and it would be insane to try and maintain multiple streams: old OS and New OS )

But the emphasis in the release notes, was:

Quote:
A completely re-written E-book viewer with an emphasis on presenting the book text, distraction free
As my two screen shots demonstrate the old viewer was already capable of presenting book text distraction free… except for the scroll bar. I don't know if anyone ever requested it be made optional, but I find it difficult to imagine it that couldn't have been given a show/hide toggle as is provided for many other things.

Being a minimalist when I first saw the viewers toobar I looked for a way to get rid of it… et voila, uncheck Preferences->Miscellaneous->Show controls in the viewer window… then oh look… now I can toggle it as and when I want it…

BR
Old 10-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
@porphyry5, the calibre 4.x browser did not lose much of it's functionality. It just changed how something worked. But the functionality is still there. Besides, you'll never be able to move on from 3.48 unless you learn to use the new viewer.

hat means newer Readers will never be supported. New features will never be supported. New plugins might not be supported. It just means you may be SOL going forward if you stay with 3.48.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #21
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@porphyry5, the calibre 4.x browser did not lose much of it's functionality. It just changed how something worked. But the functionality is still there. Besides, you'll never be able to move on from 3.48 unless you learn to use the new viewer.

hat means newer Readers will never be supported. New features will never be supported. New plugins might not be supported. It just means you may be SOL going forward if you stay with 3.48.
As has been said many times, you can easily use the old viewer with the newest Calibre version.

And yes, the viewer lost one important functionality: it opens new books slower than the old viewer. But that's an important functionality for those who use the viewer for quickly checking something and/or overviewing.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As has been said many times, you can easily use the old viewer with the newest Calibre version.

And yes, the viewer lost one important functionality: it opens new books slower than the old viewer. But that's an important functionality for those who use the viewer for quickly checking something and/or overviewing.
Version 4.2 is a lot faster then 4.0 or 4.1. I've been testing it and it takes from 2 seconds all the way to 7 seconds. That to me is not too slow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #23
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Version 4.2 is a lot faster then 4.0 or 4.1. I've been testing it and it takes from 2 seconds all the way to 7 seconds. That to me is not too slow.
Hmm yes, I installed 4.2 and you're right, it's much faster. Thank you, Kovid.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Hmm yes, I installed 4.2 and you're right, it's much faster. Thank you, Kovid.
You're welcome and the next version will be even faster as I am working on parallelizing the prepare books for first read step.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:01 AM   #25
arturox
Enthusiast
arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
As has been said many times, you can easily use the old viewer with the newest Calibre version. .
Please... How does that work?

I've tried it but it couldn't find some particular .dll and failed.

In the end I installed a 3.nn portable version and use the Viewer from that to actually read a book, but put up with the other thing when I just want to check a book converted through Calibre.

This way I can still keep Calibre itself up-to-date but not suffer the viewer.

Why the toolbar couldn't have been made switchable is... [Self censor].

Ax

Just to make it clear, I like Calibre very much and donate every year, it's just the viewer that offends me.

Ax
arturox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #26
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturox View Post
Please... How does that work?

I've tried it but it couldn't find some particular .dll and failed.

In the end I installed a 3.nn portable version and use the Viewer from that to actually read a book, but put up with the other thing when I just want to check a book converted through Calibre.

This way I can still keep Calibre itself up-to-date but not suffer the viewer.

Why the toolbar couldn't have been made switchable is... [Self censor].

Ax

Just to make it clear, I like Calibre very much and donate every year, it's just the viewer that offends me.

Ax
Here's how I've done it

* items reflect my hatred of ambiguity, not strictly necessary.

Installed 3.48 portable at D:\_Sandpit\Calibre Portable

*Copied ebook-viewer.exe to oldviewer_original.exe for safety
*Renamed ebook-viewer.exe to oldviewer.exe
*Used Resource Hacker to change oldviewer.exe's icon (blue book)

Then from calibre 4.n went into View Specific Format(Alt+V/Cmd+V)

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-23 191243.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	174465

Selected Add another application for EPUB files, which popped

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-23 191329.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	174466

Clicked Browse computer for program, browsed to D:\_Sandpit\Calibre Portable and selected oldviewer.exe

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-23 191453.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	174467

*Closed calibre, and edited Config windows_open_with.json to change name

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-23 194242.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	174468

Restarted calibre and gave it a keyboard shortcut

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-23 194001.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	174469

And ended up with

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-23 192329.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	174470

* items reflect my hatred of ambiguity, not strictly necessary.

I don't use the viewer for other formats, only epub

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-23-2019 at 06:32 AM. Reason: updated screen shots
Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #27
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You're welcome and the next version will be even faster as I am working on parallelizing the prepare books for first read step.
As someone who authors ebooks and repeatedly reopens new versions in the viewer during the process, this is fantastic news. Thanks!
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:33 AM   #28
robincher
robincher began at the beginning.

Device: sony
I too noticed that the viewer had changed. using the right mouse click I was able to find the tool buttons. but, I am unable to make the print large enough to read. i changed the font to maximum listed of 22, but it is still unreadable. I cannot find an easy way to zoom in. As it is, it is completely useless to me. If i were trying to use it to read using my computer as a tablet, i cannot use the touch screen to access those tools. I really do not understand the reason for the change. And i cannot find information on how to use this new viewer. I love the calibre program, but sometimes features change & i cannot figure out how to make use of the new features. For example, with the new change to the viewer, i went to the calibre page: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/vie...ound-an-e-book and the instructions did not match the viewer. How do i get information on how to use the viewer? If it weren't for someone's comment here about right clicking, I wouldn't have found the few tool buttons there are.
robincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:44 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The first two times you open a book the viewer tells you how to access controls and turn pages. And you can turn pages on a touchscreen by simply tapping on the text, or swiping. And I just haven't got around to updating the user manual, its on my ToDO list. As for your font problem, you can type in any number you like for the custom font size including, 120 if you want.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:09 AM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The first two times you open a book the viewer tells you how to access controls and turn pages. And you can turn pages on a touchscreen by simply tapping on the text, or swiping. And I just haven't got around to updating the user manual, its on my ToDO list. As for your font problem, you can type in any number you like for the custom font size including, 120 if you want.
Not sure if this is a bug or simply pushing the envelope until it breaks. Using overly large font sizes gives some rather interesting results as the viewer tries to keep using multiple columns and the text starts overlapping.

I've attached two sample of text, one at 120, the other at 240.

As a side request, is it possible to use a simple enter instead of having to click on OK?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	120.png
Views:	15
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	174491   Click image for larger version

Name:	240.png
Views:	13
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	174492  

Last edited by DNSB; 10-24-2019 at 02:11 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bash, calibre, ebook-viewer