Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 02:51 AM   #1
Pachimari
Pachimari began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 7
Question Is it possible to sideload an older version of the kindle app on the new kindle fire7

So, Im considering getting the "new" re-released kindle 7 and I mostly only want it to read books and graphic novels. Im planning on installing google play store and using it for kindle app, comic rack and manga master.

Pretty much on any android device I have I always installed the old version of the kindle app (a version that still has the carousel and collections folders) through an apk. My question for folk that already have a fire device, would this work? Can an older version of kindle coexist with the default books app on the device? Also, the account i sign into for that older kindle app is separate from my main amazon account too (not sure if that will be a problem).
Pachimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
why not simply get a 7 inch android tablet instead, which will come with google play and will support whatever K for android version you choose to install

you cant register 2 amazon accounts onto 1 fire device- so I'd be surprised if a sideloaded app will let you log into a different amazon account. An android tablet will though.

isn't 7 too small for graphic novels, unless you have super eyesight ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I recall many users really boinking up their Fire tablets trying to install the Kindle app. The Kindle app is baked in to the Fire tablets, and isn't "installed" in the normal way. You can't remove it or install it. It's already there. Trying to install the app caused major problems for some users, and they would find their way to the Amazon forums looking for help.

The newer Fire have other issues as well that some users don't like. Alexa for example, can be "disabled" but not removed. There was a lengthy discussion about it turning back on with no user input, everything an update was applied.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

The newer Fire have other issues as well that some users don't like. Alexa for example, can be "disabled" but not removed. There was a lengthy discussion about it turning back on with no user input, everything an update was applied.
yes, Alexa is also a not-removable built-in system app, but enabling parental controls completely disables it.

the OPs list of " feature I want" does not have any amazon-specific entries, which is why I queries getting an amazon device vs getting a real android one

one he did not mention though, is amazon's clever "guided view" in Kindle, for comics, that presents then one picture at a time, rather than 1 "page" at a time. that makes viewing on a smaller screen much more practical. I am not a big comics fan so I don't know if the kindle for android app also does that.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
yes, Alexa is also a not-removable built-in system app, but enabling parental controls completely disables it.

the OPs list of " feature I want" does not have any amazon-specific entries, which is why I queries getting an amazon device vs getting a real android one

one he did not mention though, is amazon's clever "guided view" in Kindle, for comics, that presents then one picture at a time, rather than 1 "page" at a time. that makes viewing on a smaller screen much more practical. I am not a big comics fan so I don't know if the kindle for android app also does that.
It does. Moreover, many comics bought at Amazon can also be read using the ComiXology app, which is better at organizing your comics collection.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2019, 01:12 AM   #6
Pachimari
Pachimari began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 7
Hey gang! Thanks for the replies and help! The kindle fire just felt too limited for what I wanted to do with it so I ended up going with a vankyo matrixpad instead. The vankyo is a really great budget pure android tablet for around the same price as the KF7.

In regards to comic pages, I can read them just fine on a 7in screen and I actually prefer it this size for ebooks (page wise it feels closer to a small paperback). Its actually getting here tomorrow! Pretty excited
Pachimari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle app, kindle fire 7hd