Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
adrianwi
adrianwi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyager - woo hoo!
Authentication on FreeBSD Install

Firstly, can I start by saying Calibre is great! I've been running on OSX for years to manage my book collection without a single hitch.

I've been wanting a way to download books to my Kindle without a wire for sometime so started playing around with the Content Server, which worked great. Also being an avid Plex user, I then though wouldn't it be great to share my library with family and friends.

Not wanting to expose my Mac to the big bad internet, I had a look to see if there was a FreeBSD version of Calibre that I could run in a jail on my FreeNAS box, and low and behold there is!

After a few failed attempts I now have calibre-server running and can access remotely only exposing a single port which is then locked inside a jail where someone could actually do little damage.

Problem I have though is I can't seem to find anyway to enable authentication (i.e. username and password) so that no every Tom, Dick and Harry have access to my books!

My search so far has gotten me to the following lines in my /etc/rc.conf file:

Code:
calibre_enable="YES"                                                            
calibre_port="port-here"                                                             
calibre_library="/library-here"                                                          
calibre_user="user-here"                                                             
calibre_username="username-here"                                                       
calibre_password="password-here"
but this still takes me straight into my library.

I've also tried starting calibre-server with the following:

Code:
jexec calibre calibre-server --with-library="/library-here" --username="username-here" --password="password-here"
but still no joy! I suspect it's just a small syntax thing, so apologise in advance for the long ramble call for help. Where I've entered 'something-here' I do actually have the values I need/want to use

HELP!

Last edited by adrianwi; 02-24-2016 at 03:11 PM.
adrianwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
adrianwi
adrianwi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyager - woo hoo!
Bingo! I've managed to get this working in a brand new jail using the 6 following steps (for anyone who might be interested or having a similar issue):

1. Create FreeNAS jail (default settings - I called it calibre-server)
2. Enter shell of new jail
3. Run 'pkg upgrade' and then 'pkg install calibre'
4. Add storage to jail (i.e. mount the location of your Calibre library to the jail - I just used /mnt)
5. In the WUI create a Cron Job with the appropriate flags (mine looks like jexec calibre-server calibre-server --with-library="/mnt" --port="8282" --username="username" --password="password") nb: the first calibre-server is the name of your jail!
6. Run the Cron Job

Browse to the IP (with appropriate ":" port number) and after entering your username and password your books will appear!

adrianwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
freenas