Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
CoronarJunkee
CoronarJunkee is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M96
M96 clueless after october 2015 update

Hello everyone,

Having been quite happy with a somewhat stable firmware version for the past few months, I kept refraining from applying updates. Now I gave the october update a try and, after the update seems to have run successfully, the device rebooted to the "Boox Reader" screen and stopped there, with a blue LED light on.

I tried hard reboot a few times (pressing the power button for the device to turn off and then on again) but nothing changed.

Plugging the device into my Macbook didn't help either (the device doesn't get recognised and nothing happens on the Boox screen besides it flashing once, light turning blue and turning purple).

Then I tried the recovery mode - moving the device back to factory setting and wiping the cache. The result is the same: as soon as I choose to reboot, the "Boox reader" screen appears, blue LED and nothing else.

Does anybody have an idea what else I could try? For the current lack of a card reader, I'm in no position to try to run another update from an external SD card but will try this as soon as I'll be able to get one. Any suggestions on which update version I should be running?

As I have no PC, I can't try the MFGtool thing.

Was looking forward to read on my Boox tonight, the weather here in Berlin being cold and rainy. Now, I will have to print out the papers I want to read. I'd be really glad for any piece of information that might help.

Have a nice week-end everyone. Cheers,

CJ

PS: If it's of any interest, my M96 is the Booxtor edition from early 2015.
CoronarJunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
CoronarJunkee

Okay now this is weird.

After getting hold of a card reader, I put a few different update.zip-versions on it to try them out. When I got the the version I had installed before trying to install the october update (which was the version of february 5th 2015), my M96 came back to life.

On my way there, I did a few factory resets and quite some cache wiping from the recovery mode menu. So I was pretty surprised to find - after having set user preferences and time zone - all my data still on the device. I seemed to be back to the place I started off much earlier today.

Then, I tried to update again, again with no luck. This time, my M96 didn't get out of a rebooting circle that always led to the recovery mode instead of the "Boox reader" screen and the blue LED I had been experiencing beforehand. I tried - again - to apply other updates but could only manage to regain control over my M96 when I reached the february 5th firmware version.

So here I am. Does that mean I'll never be able to update again? Any opinions, suggestions, explanations?

I'm confused.

Have a great sunday, everyone. Cheers,

CJ
Advert
Old 11-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoronarJunkee View Post
Okay now this is weird.

So here I am. Does that mean I'll never be able to update again? Any opinions, suggestions, explanations?

I'm confused.

Have a great sunday, everyone. Cheers,

CJ
Hi,

why don't you try the mfg update method?

You can read about it here: http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads
Just download and use one of the "rollback" packages (proper for your device). Afterwards is the problem with installing of regular updates is mostly gone.
Don't forget to backup your content before using mfg tool, since internal memory will be formatted.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
CoronarJunkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

why don't you try the mfg update method?
Hello Booxtor,

Thanks for your reply. As far as I can see, I'm unable to use the mfg tool on a mac computer. Do you know any workaround?

Thanks,

CJ