Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
an article on ebooks in the Guardian today 22 February 2018

I don't have a link since I read it on my phone (the free Guardian app).

Title: "Ebooks are not stupid - they're a revolution"
from author Erin Kelly - a point a view as a reader and as an author.

I found the author's point particularly interesting (since I'm well aware as a reader on the others).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your Google fu is rather poor. All I did was put in the title and up came the article link.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ion-erin-kelly
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Here's the link:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ion-erin-kelly

It's actually a reply to that stupid interview of the Hachette boss. Perhaps this should be merged with that thread.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the link to the original article. https://scroll.in/article/868871/the...ette-group-ceo

Let's more the discussion here.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-23-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
A very good reply to the idiotic views of the Hachette boss.

Imo the establishment within the printed book world hates the idea of digital, as did the music business, and the movie business.

I've read several articles and seen several interviews with the gatekeepers of the book world, thinking that they are the guardians of the masses, wanting to determine what books I should read and by default, what books are "bad" for me.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The movie business has adapted nicely.
Ultraviolet, combo editions, digital first, tolerable pricing, windowing customers don't mind, all the things the corporate publishers resist.

The real key I think is Ultraviolet.
Where the BPH's bumbling killed interoperable epub as a market force, the Hollywood studios fostered interoperable digital video as a viable product. It still has a way to go and they came to it a bit too late to prevent walled gardens in video but at least video has a viable open alternative to the silos.

They're still as money grubbing as ever but at least they're not trying to fight the inevitable future.
Unlike the corporate publishers.

So there is a bit of a difference...

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Ultraviolet, combo editions, digital first, tolerable pricing, windowing customers don't mind, all the things the corporate publishers resist.
Combo editions are only useful for 3D movies. That way you also get the 2D version. But if I buy a blu-ray, I don't want a DVD version. If I by a 4K version, I don't want a Blu-ray version. I don't want to pay more for something I'll never use.

Quote:
And that's also an issue. The codes for the UV version do sometimes expire and if you buy after the code expires, you lose out.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Quote:

Where the BPH's bumbling killed interoperable epub as a market force, the Hollywood studios fostered interoperable digital video as a viable product. It still has a way to go and they came to it a bit too late to prevent walled gardens in video but at least video has a viable open alternative to the silos.

They're still as money grubbing as ever but at least they're not trying to fight the inevitable future.
Unlike the corporate publishers.

So there is a bit of a difference...
UltraViolet is dead. Most movies released as of December 2017 no longer include an UltraViolet code. Instead, Disney, Warner Bros., FOX, and Sony have partnered up to form Movies Anywhere, where you can theoretically redeem a code on the Movies Anywhere web site and watch it on Amazon, VUDU, Google Play, and/or iTunes. However, Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate haven't signed up for it, leaving their movies in limbo.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think that Mr. Nourry needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Ebooks are here to stay and they don't need enhancement in order to do their jobs. When I read I want to read, not play a game or watch a movie. The movie is in my head as I translate the written word into pictures that no movie can equal.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
And the portability of choice.

I know this is not popular with all readers, but having almost my whole library in my e-reader is wealth beyond jewels for me.

To paraphrase Buckaroo Banzai, "Wherever I go, there's my library."
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
And the portability of choice.

I know this is not popular with all readers, but having almost my whole library in my e-reader is wealth beyond jewels for me.

To paraphrase Buckaroo Banzai, "Wherever I go, there's my library."
And if you move you don't have to worry about boxing up books or deciding which to give away etc. either. They take up exactly the space that your ereader of choice takes up and no more.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And if you move you don't have to worry about boxing up books or deciding which to give away etc. either. They take up exactly the space that your ereader of choice takes up and no more.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Combo editions are only useful for 3D movies. That way you also get the 2D version. But if I buy a blu-ray, I don't want a DVD version. If I by a 4K version, I don't want a Blu-ray version. I don't want to pay more for something I'll never use.

And that's also an issue. The codes for the UV version do sometimes expire and if you buy after the code expires, you lose out.
They sell non-combos.
The value of the combo is for families with DVD players in the minivan or portable dvd players. BluRay for the home theater, DVD (it costs maybe 25 cents to stamp out) for the older hardware, and digital codes for mobile or streamer boxes.

Unlike the corporate publishers, they actually bothered to look at the usage cases and tried to address them. They're no angels (expiring digital codes and prices on the upper end of tolerable) but they do try to satisfy.

And their windowing scheme actually makes sense: theater --> digital sales --> digital rental --> disk sales --> subscription services --> broadcast. It takes time to stamp out disks so digital first is natural and allows them to price it higher than if it came out after the disk release. And instead of fighting RedBox, they just negotiated a price and let them roll.

It helps them that video has always been windowed but they do start the ball rolling as soon as the movies leave theaters. Far from perfect and still evolving but way better than the scams the BPHs have tried.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
They sell non-combos.
Where do they sell non-combos and how much lower is the price?

Quote:
The value of the combo is for families with DVD players in the minivan or portable dvd players. BluRay for the home theater, DVD (it costs maybe 25 cents to stamp out) for the older hardware, and digital codes for mobile or streamer boxes.
But I'm not wanting to pay more for something I'll never use.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Electonic books are simply not convenient. A book, especially American one, printed on very loose and light paper, you can easily carry in a pocket or a purse, take it everywhere, bend, read in any conditions, you can easily take it with you.

With e-book, you need a dedicated, fragile device, which should not be exposed to cold, heat, or sunlight, which needs a working computer to copy the book files from, which needs a USB cable or a charger, and constant recharge.

The e-books have a limited market, as only the dedicated readers will pay for them. The widespread use of the pirate software like Calibre causes e-books to be leaked, in decrypted, de-watermarked form, into the wild.

The physical books is always a better choice for a casual reader, and they are virtually pirate-proof. So they have a guaranteed market, e-books not so much.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote