Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #31
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
If I were anointing that position, (Word-like ePUBmaker heir presumptive) honestly, I'd choose AWP, myself. Not perfect; but pretty damn good. In many ways, for neophytes that want Book View, AWP is really the answer.
Fascinating. Thank you!

All the chatter I see on the KDP forums is about Jutoh and Scrivener, never Atlantis Word Processor.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #32
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdenmaine View Post
Sigil is a wonderful WYSIWYG epub editor.
I think so, too, but I have seldom used Book View since Preview came to live with us.

But perhaps we have different understandings of WYS. I write, if I'm writing, in Code View and watch the WYG in Preview.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Fascinating. Thank you!

All the chatter I see on the KDP forums is about Jutoh and Scrivener, never Atlantis Word Processor.
AWP is surprisingly good. Now..NJ, you know me, and my take is, if it ain't HTML, don't talk to me, but...if I were a struggling author, who couldn't afford to pay for the conversion, and I didn't speaka-de-HTML, I'd go with AWP.

This is because AWP does some very nice things that other processes don't do. You can put your Word file into AWP, with almost no tweakage, and make a mobi. You check it; you don't like it; you go back to AWP, modify the source file (the Word file, effectively, yes?) and voila, you make a new one. It's as near to an ideal process, for a "noHTML" environment as can be. God knows, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to use than bloody Jutoh, with all the monkeying around with the Styles. (To this day, I've NEVER understood what Julian was thinking? WHY???).

It's almost what people have been whingeing about and wanting, for forever; some world in which they work in Word, push a button, and kablammo! Out comes an ebook. So, you have to pay a few shekels to buy AWP. Big deal! People seem to CHEERFULLY pay a lot more for Scrivener, etc.

(Or maybe not Scrivener..I can't remember who charges what. I have all the bloody things, b/c we get everything here. Files in .scriv; files in Word, files in OO and LO and even, god help me, files in Powerpoint.) Scrivener makes mobis, yes, but it's NOT a good environment for mobi tweaking, and it's hopeless for complex books, for formatting, I mean, IME.

{shrug}

But, of course, like everything I say, it will be utterly ignored. People will go on using other products, or using Kindle Create, Christ help us, and worse, the Textbook and all those "creators" from Amazon that make FXL.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #34
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Well, I listen to you, Hitch!

(I think they're all about $40, except for Vellum.)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Well, I listen to you, Hitch!

(I think they're all about $40, except for Vellum.)
I swear, one more disastrous "Kindle Create" file in the door, and I'm going to do my Niagara Falls routine....

SEE next post from DNSB, for the correct Videolink.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 06-26-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Fixed my non compos mentis video link...
Old 06-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I swear, one more disastrous "Kindle Create" file in the door, and I'm going to do my Niagara Falls routine....

Hitch
Minor nit: you just need the segment after the v= to embed a Youtube video not the entire URL.

As for Kindle Create files.... the less said, the better.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-24-2018 at 12:23 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #37
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That clip almost gets funny in the last minute. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

The British audience lapped these two up for many years. I could never see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etxoCcKmV3ohttp://
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit: you just need the segment after the v= to embed a Youtube video not the entire URL.
Why? Will the URL police come get me? ;-) I don't "do" a lot of multimedia, so...

Quote:
As for Kindle Create files.... the less said, the better.
Don't get me started, sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
That clip almost gets funny in the last minute. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

The British audience lapped these two up for many years. I could never see it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etxoCcKmV3ohttp://
When I was young, my grandfather owned a film distribution business. He had a massive stock of these, the Abbott and Costellos, and the Laurel & Hardies, as well as many of the silent-film star comedies (Chaplin, Keaton, KK, et al). Saturday night, if Grandfather was around, was the project set-up, screen unrolled, popcorn popped and movies played.

There's one...I can't remember which one is it--involving a camping trailer, that was my "rave fave" when I was a kid. I also watched pretty much everything else, too, from Casablanca to whatever, as part of the Saturday Night Cinema. ;-)

Hitch
Old 06-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Why? Will the URL police come get me? ;-) I don't "do" a lot of multimedia, so...
More that the link doesn't work unless you jump through the hoops. Notice the difference between your original message and my response. Using the YOUTUBE video code instead of embedding the link is a bit prettier.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
More that the link doesn't work unless you jump through the hoops. Notice the difference between your original message and my response. Using the YOUTUBE video code instead of embedding the link is a bit prettier.
AH. Seems dorky, but, sure, got it. Thanks.

Hitch
Old 06-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #41
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
There's one...I can't remember which one is it--involving a camping trailer, that was my "rave fave" when I was a kid. I also watched pretty much everything else, too, from Casablanca to whatever, as part of the Saturday Night Cinema. ;-)

Hitch
I love those old movies. Too bad a lot of them are lost or in very bad quality. There is one with a camping trailer I remember, one from Laurel and Hardy and it is a classic:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Toxaris; 06-27-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I love those old movies. Too bad a lot of them are lost or in very bad quality. There is one with a camping trailer I remember, one from Laurel and Hardy and it is a classic:

See message #36 in this thread.

Or see: Mobileread Posting Tips.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-26-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
All of these embedded videos will eventually slow this thread down if they keep getting added (each one reaches out to try and touch youtube whenever the page loads). If we're done with the topic, then let's be done. Plenty of places to share favorite video clips already.

Hiding the embedded video behind spoiler tags will stop the pre-load until after the spoiler button is clicked (for those that are interested).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2018 at 04:00 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #44
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hiding the embedded video behind spoiler tags will stop the pre-load until after the spoiler button is clicked (for those that are interested).
Or you just give the good ol' hyperlink!
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Or you just give the good ol' hyperlink!
Exactly.

Show me a thread full of embedded videos and I'll show you thread that makes people with slower internet speeds angry.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote