Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Alejandro
Alejandro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle 2, Changing Default Dictionary

I bought the Merriam Websters French-English dictionary from the Kindle Store, and anyway, it said in the description at the kindle store that I could use it as my default dictionary. Alas there were no instructions on how to do this and searching on my kindle for a solution turned up nothing. I know that it is possible (using at as the default dictionary) but I have no idea how, perhaps a person who has had a kindle longer than I has a clue?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-19-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Corrected title spelling
Alejandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
From the Kindle User's Guide, 4th Ed.:

1. If you are not already on the Home screen, press the Home button.
2. Press the Menu button.
3. Move the 5-way to underline "Setting" and press to select.
4. Press the Menu button.
5. Move the 5-way to underline "Change Primary Dictionary" and press to select.
6. Move the 5-way to underline the dictionary you want to use and press to select.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NogDog View Post

6. Move the 5-way to underline the dictionary you want to use and press to select.
I tried this because someone in the German MRforum asked how to change his dictionary but I don't get the option "Change Primary Ditionary" if I follow these instructions.

The only options I have are:

- TurnWireless On/Off
- Shop in KindleStore
- (Update Kindle)
- Restart
- Reset to Factory Defaults
- Legal
- Sync & Check for Items

Did amazon remove the option with 2.5.3 or do my hacks interfere?
Or do I have to have a new dictionary already on my kindle to have this option?

Kindle 2i 2.5.3, SS- and Fonts-Hack installed
katzenstreik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
First of all, you need to have the second dictionary on the kindle for that menu item to be displayed.
Secondly, if you have added the dictionary and the menu item to change is not visible, then try restarting, the dictionary might get picked up by the kindle and the option should be there.
I have managed to change the dictionary with the latest firmware installed along with the hacks.
So the option has not been thrown out by Amazon.
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvsinha View Post
First of all, you need to have the second dictionary on the kindle for that menu item to be displayed.
Secondly, if you have added the dictionary and the menu item to change is not visible, then try restarting, the dictionary might get picked up by the kindle and the option should be there.
I have managed to change the dictionary with the latest firmware installed along with the hacks.
So the option has not been thrown out by Amazon.
Thank you! Just wanted to make sure my advice was correct, I don't feel the need to change my dictionary, but it's good to know that the option is there...
katzenstreik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Of course, the dictionary has to be formatted the way the Kindle expects, for it to be recognized as a selectable dictionary. There used to be a number of dictionaries available from Amazon that could NOT be used as the Kindle dictionary. You could just use those dictionaries like any other book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
naj
naj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NogDog View Post

Hi,

I got a free sample of the M-W French-English dictionary, but following the instructions, I see no option for "change default dictionary". Is it dependant on having purchased the full version of the dictionary?
naj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Probably
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi,

I got a free sample of the M-W French-English dictionary, but following the instructions, I see no option for "change default dictionary". Is it dependant on having purchased the full version of the dictionary?
I bought both the M-W Spanish-English and the English-Spanish dictionaries, and have no problem changing to either one of those as a default. So yes, you probably have to buy the whole dictionary. I've noticed when adding dictionaries to the Kindle that they take a little while to index, so don't panic if you can't use it immediately.

I love having this option. I'm taking Spanish classes and depending on what I'm reading, I change my dictionaries pretty often. Right now I'm trying to read "Pride and Prejudice" in Spanish. Using the Spanish-English one is very helpful since my Spanish is not very good.

(I should point out, too, that even if you don't have the dictionary set as your default you can always just open it as a book and look up a word.)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:42 AM   #10
d3vCr0w
d3vCr0w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4NT
Thanks, I put the dictionary inside documents folder and then the option to change default dictionary appeared
d3vCr0w is offline   Reply With Quote