Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
swt_decadent
swt_decadent began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I found a lost kindle 2 should I keep it or return it?

I actually found it on the airport and it also come with the case. I have always wanted a kindle (to be exact kindle dx for my manga) ever since it came out. Is it luck that I found one? Does amazon actually return it? Has this been proven? I been playing with it and it doesn't seem to be register. It seems new and it only have five book on it. Is there anyway I can find who the owner is? Wireless does not work where we live.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should keep it or not. Anyway I already have Sony reader 505 and 600. My mom also promise to buy me an Ipad this school year.
swt_decadent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
What do you think? Take it to the airport you found it. How would you feel if you lost your reader at the airport and the finder decide to keep it and play with it.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
send it to me and I'll make sure it gets back to the owner
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
swt_decadent

I would feel bad, but it will also be my fault that I lose it. Anyway can't take it to the airport since I live far away from it. Is there anyway I can type the serial number via amazon just like Ipod on mac to see who the owner is?

Some part of me wanted to keep it. But I really don't any use for it...
Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
If you contact Amazon with the serial number, they should be able to trace the owner. It would certainly be the decent thing to do.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it is a remarkably wonderful thing to try to return the kindle
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
If it still has power, slide the switch on the top left. Click on the menu key, then use the joystick to tab down to Settings. When you click on that, a new page will appear; if the user was smart, there should be personal contact info, probably at the bottom of the page.

If not, call Amazon. They have at times linked Kindles with their owners.

You could also call the airport; each airline has a lost and found, as should the airport itself.

If you exhaust all those options and nothing pans out, then you can consider keeping it in good conscience. But keeping it without making a good faith effort to return it is just plain bad karma. The only right thing to do is return it if at all possible. Good luck!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
swt_decadent

I think that's the best plan Victoria. I don't want to just send it to Amazon and not knowing if they really send it to the right owner or not. If they didn't then I'm stupid for letting the opportunity past that I got lucky. I wonder if amazon can contact the real owner and have the owner contact me? I know they can't give info, but if they can give my contact to the owner. Now it will be just up to the owner wether to contact me or not.

Anyways I'll contact the airport first if someone report a lost kindle.

PS: No info and it's not even register. Don't know if they buy it on amazon or not...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by swt_decadent View Post
I would feel bad, but it will also be my fault that I lose it. Anyway can't take it to the airport since I live far away from it. Is there anyway I can type the serial number via amazon just like Ipod on mac to see who the owner is?

Some part of me wanted to keep it. But I really don't any use for it...

Returning something that belongs to someone else is based upon what kind of ethical behavior governs your life and how you were raised by your parent(s) and/or guardian(s) concerning right and wrong actions and behaviors.

Only you can really answer the question you posed about returning it or not.

Concerning Amazon vs. the airport, I feel Amazon is more properly invested in returning it to its original owner - assuming, of course, that you decide to take that necessary first action.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-25-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I wouldn't hesitate, as a Kindle 2 owner, to call up Amazon or drop their support e-mail a note (easy to find at www.kindle.com) with the serial number (it's on the back of the unit). They will find a way to return it to the owner ... provided it was purchased from Amazon.

Since you know it has five books on it, you must have been able to turn it on; and it must have been registered at some point with Amazon.

In future, this might get more difficult as a brand new unit could be purchased from a store like Target and not yet registered. In that case, Amazon would not be able to trace it.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Amazon can and will help get it back to the rightful owner. It is the right thing to do and that you even have to ask is more than sad to me. If you can keep it and live with yourself, well then enjoy your dose of bad karma...
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes Sweetie, make a reasonable effort to return it, as above, call Amazon and the airport. You will feel right, and there might be a small reward.

It's all about could you enjoy it? In my own experience, I have a pretty gold bracelet that we found when we were dating. We left contact info at the shop where we found it outside. No one ever called, so now 20+ yrs later, I wear it more often than any other and never feel bad about it. I would have had guilt and never enjoyed it if we had not made an effort to return it.

Please tell your Mom that she did a great job in bringing up such an hoNest and nice daughter. And I look forward to seeing more posts from you, no matter if it is with the Kindle or future iPad.

Last edited by DixieGal; 05-25-2010 at 09:54 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #13
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
Return it. You will sleep better when you get older, having a memory of doing the right thing instead of regret for having taken advantage of another's misfortune.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I would also go to the lost-and-found, tell them about it and give them my contact details.
If someone claims it they can then pass on that info.
I don't have a lot of faith in the lost-and-found boxes since I just think how tempted I would be working in a place like that and having all kinds of cool gadgets around me but getting minimum wage ...

Not saying everyone's a thief. But isn't there a saying that goes something like "opportunity makes thieves"?

That said, I have gotten my wallet back on two occasions, including the money. Once I left it at a highway gas station and once I dropped it in a cinema and the cleaning crew gave it to the ticketing booth.

The only thing I kept was a €100 bill that was lying on the sidewalk with NOBODY around. No kidding. It was heaven-sent, actually, since I was on my last couple of euros and was thinking of how I could stretch those to make a nice evening meal.
All the other stuff I found I either gave to some lost-and-found area (where I got a good look at those people and they did not really seem like the most trustworthy) and I have contacted people using info in wallets or cellphones.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
As someone who's mom recently had her K2 stolen from an airport, I can tell you that the right thing to do would be to try to find it's owner. It was brand new (she only had 4 or 5 books on it) and she had just purchased a new case for it. She set it down on her chair (leaning it against her hip) when someone ran by and grabbed it.

She called the airport thinking maybe the thief dropped it and a good samaritan turned it in, but no luck. She just paid all this money for a great new device and she's SOL. I would like to think that if someone like you happened to find her stolen Kindle, they would be kind enough to try to return it to her.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote