Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
According to the FedEx tracking website, my new Astak will be here sometime today. I know I will have to contain my enthusiasm and give it time to charge - probably up here on my desk where I can gaze upon it with longing and fabled anticipation.

I've read the FAQ, I've read a copy of the manual someone posted here. And I've been reading plenty of posts. I think I'll be ready.

After reading Davimee's tale of woe regarding ordering through Car Toys, I have to say I'm pretty psyched that ordering directly from theEZreader.com website has gone so smoothly and quickly. I ordered it last Thursday! (I'm glad she was finally able to get her reader.)

I realize it is the mark of an evolved human being to be able to take whatever life throws at us with some degree of calm and presence, but as someone who can 'over-think' things I really like to manage my expectations in order to enjoy a more 'glass half-full' experience of this amazing life I've been gifted with. Having this forum helps a lot in this effort.

I'll let y'all know what I think as I move through the process.

Cheers!
I'm very happy for you that you'll be getting yours today! Yes, mine arrived very quickly from theezreader.com. Hindsight is always best, and I should have just ordered that way to begin with. And yes, please let us know what you think! I am really loving my Pocket Pro! And now my nine year old daughter wants one, too. But she's going to have to save up for her own, because I'm not sharing mine! But for now she's happy with my old Palm T/X, especially with the backlighting, so it's easy for her to read in bed. Although I have noticed a few of the girls' school books are in public domain, so I'll be loading those on. (We homeschool.) I think it will be a fun change from the usual routine to instead cuddle up on the couch with the Pocket Pro, rather than the book.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
One last point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
According to the FedEx tracking website, my new Astak will be here sometime today. I know I will have to contain my enthusiasm and give it time to charge - probably up here on my desk where I can gaze upon it with longing and fabled anticipation.

I've read the FAQ, I've read a copy of the manual someone posted here. And I've been reading plenty of posts. I think I'll be ready.

After reading Davimee's tale of woe regarding ordering through Car Toys, I have to say I'm pretty psyched that ordering directly from theEZreader.com website has gone so smoothly and quickly. I ordered it last Thursday! (I'm glad she was finally able to get her reader.)

I realize it is the mark of an evolved human being to be able to take whatever life throws at us with some degree of calm and presence, but as someone who can 'over-think' things I really like to manage my expectations in order to enjoy a more 'glass half-full' experience of this amazing life I've been gifted with. Having this forum helps a lot in this effort.

I'll let y'all know what I think as I move through the process.

Cheers!
Dear xochipilli:

Welcome!! It is great to hear someone actually getting ready in advance. My ardent applause for saying you know about charging and have read the FAQ sheet.

Last thing:

After charging, do the latest firmware upgrade. We cannot do that for you as all devices identify with the home computer and you would not want it to identify with our work computer. So, you should go and do the firmware upgrade at: www.theEZreader.com/html under "support". That will give you longer battery charge life, 9 font sizes in EPUB, hyperlinks, and a Visable Clock.

It is normal that people assume that their new device will be "current" on upgrades. Reality is that they cannot be brought up-to-date by us as we want the device to identify with your own computer. You have everything to gain by doing this and instructions are right on the website.

I think a glass-full person on this forum is always an asset. You will be very popular here!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
It's here...

Hi Robertb,

Yes, thank you. I am already prepared to do the firmware upgrade--the SD card with the software is in the unit as it is charging and in a bit less than 8 hours I will trigger the process to install the new firmware.

First Impressions:

The unit is very well-packaged. I didn't realize the charger was a usb charger (the Sony Reader uses a separate port for optional charging using a PSP charger). The cover feels nice, as does the rubberized texture of the reader itself.

But the biggest thing I noticed was how bright the screen is! I've gotten used to the PRS-600's comparatively darker, gray screen, so this is a nice surprise. I was aware the Pocket Pro was well-regarded in this type of comparison, but I was a little surprised at how much lighter the background is.

How this translates into readability remains to be seen, but it did make an impression.

Well, I've got a bit of a wait ahead of me, so I might as well settle down and do some "real work."

Cheers!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #19
Xochipilli2012
Zealot

Pocket Pro defective, or User Error?

If the EZReader Pocket Pro is low on power, it may continue to display books while losing functionality. For example, it may not be able to bookmark, remember the last read location or font-size when the power is low. Therefore, if your Pocket Pro is behaving erratically, please ensure that it is fully charged before assuming the unit is defective.

Last edited by Xochipilli2012; 03-07-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Environmental Impact
Old 03-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No spaces in names, here. Nov 2009 FW in use. Mainly EPUB
YMMV

Any book on recently read retains it's zoom level for me.

Return to a book, returns to the physical page start (not the logical page numbers at the bottom). For EPUB, those are the numbers in the right margin/edge and if the number is anywhere except the top, the page is considered to be part of the last physical one as I see it working.

Bookmarks changed from the Manual with a Firmware update. Use the instructions on the Astak FAQ page. They work differently, depending on book tye.

You can not change which PDF viewer and retain settings. A fresh start.

Some (unknown) windows file operations mess up recently read
Removing the SD card with a SD card book open =
10 pages, is just a page turn long press (about 3-5 seconds). Works on Folders and EPUBS for me
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #21
Xochipilli2012
Zealot

Chicken Little Checking In - Charging helped

Hi Y'all...

theducks: thanks for trying to help!

I let the unit charge overnight and this morning it's remembering where I left off in the PDF, LIT, PDB books I've experimented with. It also has remembered the bookmarks upon re-opening, as well as the changed zoom level on the PDF.

So...things are going a bit better today. There's still a lot of testing to do, which will have to wait as I need to ride to the bike shop to buy a couple inner tubes for my Felt Curbside, Tara; she is my favorite pony right now. But Devanita (a Burley Runabout from 2005) is reliable and a trusted old friend. She'll get me to the shop in style.

Peace.