Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
1miki23
1miki23 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 600
which one to buy - still confused

Hi everyone,
I'm looking into buying an eBook reader, however I'm still confused as to which one to get. My main reason for getting one is that I'm running out of space to store my books (I like to re-read those that I kept). I don't need any additional features on it, it is just for reading books. I like to read fiction, bestsellers and such and I don't want to be stuck with getting books from one place only as would be the place with Kindle. Don't really have a budget in mind for it, and don't really care if it has wi-fi. And it would have to be available in Canada.

Any suggestions?
1miki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
miki, the two 5" readers that generate the most enthusiasm from their owners here are the PocketBook 360 and the Ectaco jetBook/jetBook Lite.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I don't know - his description to me sounded exactly like the Sony PRS600. I can dance a little jig if you like...

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
LOL Robert, it's all subjective of course, but in my view the only Sony which has generated much enthusiasm here has been the 505, which of course is no longer made.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
The main reason I bough the Sony 300 is it's size and weight. It does one thing only and does it well, it's like holding a paperback book.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I'm quite enthusiastic about my PRS300. I just spend more time reading books on it than trying to justify my preference to people looking forinfo. Really, GA, that is a pretty sweeping/biased statement you made.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
1miki23

I will have to say that I am least enthusiastic about any Sony product. My main concern would be longevity of any Sony product. Last year had to have two Bravia 4 TVs replaced (defective panels on both) and PS3 had to be fixed twice (misaligned laser both times). All products not even year old.
That on the side, how are they with converting the formats (just in case it needs to be done)?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Format conversions is something done by a library manager. Calibre is excelent at this. Best advice I have is try before you buy. I did a lot of research, and the Sony was tops at everything I wanted to do. I am still highly enthusiastic about my choice - I think it is simply super. Is not tied to any store like Amazon, accepts a wide array of formats, and has the best UI for reading that I have seen. I love the very comprehensive dictionary - I use it a lot. Just double tap the word in question...

Just let me know how I can show more enthusiasm and I will give it a shot.

Robert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
1miki23

That was a good shot.
I did go to Sony store today to see theri two ereaders. The one they were actually trying to sell me was the as of yet unobtainable 900 version (which retails for around $600). Beside them telling me it is best one yet, ther was not much information as to why. So I'm seeking advise here.
Should I be concerned about any kinks with the 600 or even 300 models?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
rmm200
Groupie

Now you are into an area of personal preference. The 900 has wifi support, so it is a direct competitor for the Kindle. I did not want wi-fi support...

The 900 is a big beautiful screen, and newspapers look better on it. Portability was more important to me. The size of my 600 is perfect - for me. You may like something bigger.

EReaders are somewhat like trying on gloves - one size does NOT fit all. That is more the sock model.

Robert
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Take a deep breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1miki23 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking into buying an eBook reader, however I'm still confused as to which one to get. My main reason for getting one is that I'm running out of space to store my books (I like to re-read those that I kept). I don't need any additional features on it, it is just for reading books. I like to read fiction, bestsellers and such and I don't want to be stuck with getting books from one place only as would be the place with Kindle. Don't really have a budget in mind for it, and don't really care if it has wi-fi. And it would have to be available in Canada.

Any suggestions?
Take a deep breath.

You already stated your requirements. No fancy features, wi-fi not required. I own a Sony 505 which you can still find used. It's a no frills 6 inch model that's a workhorse and still highly rated.

If I could buy another reader, I would choose between the PocketBook 360 or Astak Pocket Pro. Both are 5 inch readers and get good reviews. You may want to visit the forums for these products here on MR.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to see the Sony and other brands in a local store. Also check the MR forum where members offer to meet up with you to show off their ereaders.

There are a lot of ereaders out there. Focus on the features that mean the most to you and then choose models based on that. Then narrow down your list and visit the forums on MR for those models to read up on what users are saying.

Also shop around the ebook stores to see what formats the books you like to read are usually published in. Make sure you buy a reader that handles your preferred format well. I read a lot of classics which I can get free in various formats which makes it easy for me.

If you have specific questions regarding a certain reader, your best bet is to post your question in that specific reader forum. Also, no offense to anyone but strong opinions abound here, so sometimes you need to take things with a grain of salt. Your goal is to buy the reader that YOU feel will be best for YOU.

Good luck!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1miki23 View Post
Hi everyone,

Any suggestions?
If you need eBook reader just for reading books I can recommend jetBook-Lite.
This is Top seller eBook reader on newegg.com (available on newegg.ca too)
You can read reviews here
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #13
A J Edwards
A J Edwards began at the beginning.

Device: PDA
I have just bought the Elonex 511EB. In the UK this is cheap and cheerful at £129 from Waterstones. It does an excellent job.

[I have just seen the adverts for the Apple iPad. Who is going to buy this expensive toy? If it sells for US$499 then be sure it will sell for £499 in good old rip-off Britain.] It also appears to be a rather unwieldy size.
A J Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If you just want to read books.... get a Sony PRS-300 new, or a used Sony 505, or a new Pocketbook 360

And yes, I'm pretty stoked with my PRS-300!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I'd recommend looking at the matrix for ereaders. As others have mentioned, first decide what screen size you want and then decide what features you want and how much you're willing to pay. You mentioned running out of space for your library, which suggests to me that you might want a reader that can read flash cards. That disqualifies the Sony 300. Its internal memory is all you get.

This is strictly my opinion, but I would consider screen size, screen quality and clarity, available memory, including flash cards, and ability to organize the books on the device. Also, look at the ergonomics of how you would hold it compared to where the page turn buttons are located. I loved the screen of the 505, but hated turning pages on it. I've never seen the Jetbook lite, so I can't comment on its LCD screen, but I can say that eink screens, such as the 505 have, are very easy to read without eye strain.

If you're looking for a 5" screen, the Astak PocketPro is a very nice reader.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote