Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Open Office 2.0 is Excellent for making PDF files!

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know, that i've been very successful in creating PDF files from .txt and .html using Open Ofiice 2.0
The results are a lot better and more useful than those I get using Acrobat Pro 7.0.

So if you're planning on doing this (say because you want to put your gutenberg books on the Iliad and don't want to wait for the htm and txt viewer to improve before starting) then this might be an interesting solution.

Let me know what you think.

The best part is, that Open Office accepts a lot of different file formats and is also FREE, unlike many other PDF creators...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
PostGrant
Enthusiast
PostGrant began at the beginning.

Device: eBookWise, Dell Axim X5
Plus, OO has advanced formatting features, and allows lots of control over exported PDFs. I used CutePDF writer on a little flier I made, and the file size was 3 meg - far to large for my purposes. OO made it in less than 60k. Awesome.
PostGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
The results are a lot better and more usefule than those I get using Acrobat Pro 7.0.
That sounds interesting ... why is that? Smaller files? Something else?
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Hi!

The best part is, that Open Office accepts a lot of different file formats and is also FREE, unlike many other PDF creators...
Were you able to install the hiphenization dictionaries?

I'm currently using Adobe Indesign because it gives a good control of hiphenization (and i have a template where i can just paste the text).

Unfortunately when i tried OpenOffice i couldn't make the hiphenization work, it always gave me an error...

Wasn't able to install other dictionaries as well...
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@Henrycat
Hmmm...to be honest I never even tried using Hyphenization...

@ath

It just worked better with just about every file I tried. Acrobat 7 Pro often made strange "mistakes" and produced PDF files that weren't very well-formatted while Open Office made cleaner layout witht he same source-files.

I have no idea why this is so.

I just managed to find the right options in OO that make it possible to make PDF files that display very well on the Iliad. I started a thread in the Iliad Forum.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert