Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #31
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
PDF is a rather poor eBook format as most readers are 6" screens and the PDF are made for letter sized pages with way too much margin. Have you ever seen a single PDF for sale that was made properly for a 6" screen?
For 6" screens I completely agree. However, I have a larger screen, and PDFs work quite well for me. In fact I have PDF books that are simply unavailable in other ebook formats. For example, all of Charles Dickens works as originally printed with their original illustrations. Another example is Dumas' The Three Musketeers with all 250 illustrations by Maurice Leloir.

Are PDFs the optimal ebook format? By no means, but ultimately, so what?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #32
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
then the profits of those sales would be eclipsed by people getting a pdf from the darknet, which in this case was available the day of the release.
I just took a quick look, and now on the second day, there is more than just a PDF of "The Lost Symbol" out there in the wild.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #33
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
PDF is a rather poor eBook format as most readers are 6" screens and the PDF are made for letter sized pages with way too much margin. Have you ever seen a single PDF for sale that was made properly for a 6" screen?
For 6" (or 5") screens it is a poor choice, but the majority of ebook readers still read on PC's last time I checked and not on a dedicated device.

I believe someone said Samhain sold their books as PDF's formatted to fit the Sony's screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #34
Olympus
Connoisseur
Olympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enoughOlympus will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket & Bookeen CyGen 3
DRM is old; introduction of regional restrictions

I was in the process of ordering Dan Browns Lost Key only to discover that the eBook versions are only sold to people from Canada and US
What the f&*^%k is happening - they introduce DRM and now publishers want to go back in time and ignore the globalisation of sales via the Internet; I can order the HardBack copy although I live in Europe; why oh why can't I order this eBook from Europe too?

I'll get the illegal copy from Usenet: no hassle with formats, DRM and regional restrictions. Fed up with the publishers - I'll check the status of customer-attitude by publishers in another 2 years.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #35
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
No wait for delivery is something Amazon needs to promote the hell out of. Buy it now, Read it NOW, is a great selling point for anticipated new releases like this.

As for profit margins, you would think that with the e-book profits split 3 ways (publisher, Amazon, author) that there would be sufficient markup. Hardcover is split.. 5 ways or more (publisher, Amazon, author, print costs, transport to warehouse, transport from warehouse to purchaser, storage space)
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #36
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I was in the process of ordering Dan Browns Lost Key only to discover that the eBook versions are only sold to people from Canada and US
What the f&*^%k is happening - they introduce DRM and now publishers want to go back in time and ignore the globalisation of sales via the Internet; I can order the HardBack copy although I live in Europe; why oh why can't I order this eBook from Europe too?

I'll get the illegal copy from Usenet: no hassle with formats, DRM and regional restrictions. Fed up with the publishers - I'll check the status of customer-attitude by publishers in another 2 years.
Did you check Waterstones? Arent' they in the UK? They were sellling the ebook for 9.99

http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6935637
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #37
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interestingly enough, its outselling the hardback version on Watertones, also!

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/home.do
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful news!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #39
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
No wait for delivery is something Amazon needs to promote the hell out of. Buy it now, Read it NOW, is a great selling point for anticipated new releases like this.
Seriously, think about those bookstores that had special midnight openings on the day of Harry Potter releases, and the people that lined up for hours to buy them. One day, children will laugh at that idea. That story will be on par with 'when I was your age, we had to walk TEN MILES to school in the SNOW and ICE UP TO OUR KNEES and NOBODY COMPLAINED ABOUT IT!!!" :P
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Seriously, think about those bookstores that had special midnight openings on the day of Harry Potter releases, and the people that lined up for hours to buy them. One day, children will laugh at that idea. That story will be on par with 'when I was your age, we had to walk TEN MILES to school in the SNOW and ICE UP TO OUR KNEES and NOBODY COMPLAINED ABOUT IT!!!" :P
You forgot "uphill both ways in a T-Shirt!!"
Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I would define an ebook format as "a file format that can display a book on an ereader" and by that definition a PDF is most certainly an ebook format. Just my opinion of course.
PDF is not a format designed to display on/as an ebook. It was designed for displaying documents on a computer screen.....something very different than what is considered an ebook reader.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #42
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Unless they assume X% of those eBook sales would have been far more profitable hardcover sales... if only they delayed the eBook's release.

A theory that seems eminently plausible to me. And given how much profit there can be on an overpriced hardcover... perhaps it is even a sensible one... despite being contrary to consumer interests.
The longer they wait with eBook release, the more likely is that darknet will react with the scan.

And if that happens, I am not sure what the net effect would be. I think it is fair to say that it is a double-edged sword.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #43
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I bought my version for Kindle. I'd love to have the paper hardback version of TLS to complete my collection, but not right now.

I've found paper books to become great heirloom and collectors toys now that I'm into the e-readers. I prefer the instant gratification of having it ready when I woke up this AM instead of waiting 4 days until I'm off to go to the store to buy it.

Sure, I could have pre-ordered it, but had this been my only version anticipation alone would have driven me mad. And I hate paying shipping AND sales tax.

Now that I have the K2 version, I can read and enjoy and wait to pick up my "collector's edition" (Which, consequently won't be nearly as collectible as all the other first editions of his books)

I think I read somewhere that the initial print run of this is some ludicrous amount of millions upon millions of copies...somewhere along Harry Potter numbers.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #44
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
PDF is not a format designed to display on/as an ebook. It was designed for displaying documents on a computer screen.....something very different than what is considered an ebook reader.
You're right. PDFs weren't designed for dedicated eReaders, but then again MP3s weren't designed for iPods either.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #45
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I think I read somewhere that the initial print run of this is some ludicrous amount of millions upon millions of copies...somewhere along Harry Potter numbers.
This is from a local news report about TLS selling over a million copies in it's first day..

"An additional 600,000 hardcover copies have been ordered, bringing the total print run to 5.6 million copies"
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote