Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
My two new 600 readers were just delivered!

They got really hot in the delivery truck, so I'm letting them cool a bit before I charge them up. I'm going crazy waiting! I got two red ones, and they are gorgeous! The red color is a bit bluer than the red of my old 505!

I don't like the protective sleeve. It doesn't seem like neoprene to me. It just seems like a sleazy nylon fabric with a little padding. The top is open - nothing to keep the reader from slipping out or to keep keys, pens, or other objects out if you are carrying it in your bag.

Anyway - off to start charging!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The 300 sleeve is definitely neoprene, with the "Reader" logo embossed near the bottom. Dunno about the 600 sleeve. Also, my 300 came fully-charged out of the box. Yours might be charged too!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Congratulations!!
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Does the 505 cover fit? And........drum roll.........the answer everyone is waiting to hear......... how is the 600 screen contrast compared to the 505?
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
They got really hot in the delivery truck, so I'm letting them cool a bit before I charge them up. I'm going crazy waiting! I got two red ones, and they are gorgeous! The red color is a bit bluer than the red of my old 505!

I don't like the protective sleeve. It doesn't seem like neoprene to me. It just seems like a sleazy nylon fabric with a little padding. The top is open - nothing to keep the reader from slipping out or to keep keys, pens, or other objects out if you are carrying it in your bag.

Anyway - off to start charging!
HAVE FUN!!!

I'm tracking mine on FedEx - supposed to be here tomorrow - I'll probably be sitting in the front yard panting.

The 600 will be my first e-reader - other than my laptop, so I'm excited. (Not like you can tell or anything.)
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, to answer questions:

Neither of my readers was fully charged. I connected one to my A/C charger, the other to my computer and started loading that one up. Funny enough, there was already an update for the 600 firmware to correct a problem reading from the memory cards.

The sleeve may be neoprene, but it is nowhere nearly as dense as the neoprene netbook sleeve I have. The foam is very easily compressed and feels thin. In my netbook sleeve, the foam is thicker and very dense and hard to compress - relatively speaking.

I can't get my old 505 standard case on the 600. I feel like I'm going to snap off the little plastic tab if I pull on it even a tiny bit harder trying to slip it over the end of the 600.

And - not that I was teasing anyone by making you wait - the screen is not as sharp and clear as that of the 505. However, I always read my 505 through the lightwedge, and the 600 is at LEAST that clear. I won't have any trouble reading it.

I never had the 700, nor could I find a working 700 on display anywhere. I'm surprised as how hard I have to touch this to get it to accept input. It's not like the iPod Touch. Sometimes I feel like I just have to hover over the Touch to get it to accept input. It'll take some getting used to.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I'm jealous! I can't wait to get my own. Have fun!
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
JanetCinNC - just curious, why 2?
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
JanetCinNC - just curious, why 2?
One for me, one for my husband - but he's at work right now, so they are both mine to play with! (I guess I did sound greedy with two, huh?)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Can you post some pictures of the red? I would love to see that.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I never had the 700, nor could I find a working 700 on display anywhere. I'm surprised as how hard I have to touch this to get it to accept input. It's not like the iPod Touch. Sometimes I feel like I just have to hover over the Touch to get it to accept input. It'll take some getting used to.
Someone, I forget who now, suggested using the tip of the fingernail or thumbnail in getting a more reliable response to the touch screen. This works great, especially for page turns on my 700.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
I'm guessing it has the same touch screen as the 700. Try using the back of your fingernail for page swipes. That's how I use my 700, and it works much better than fingertip. (I discovered that when I found that a light swipe with the stylus works very well.)

Congrats and enjoy!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I figure it was you Jeff, who suggested the thumbnail approach. Thanks!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
JanetCinNC
Groupie

I'll post a picture of the red as soon as I can.

I did find using the tip of my finger worked better than the pad of my finger. Tried doing one swipe with the stylus to change the page and felt like I was scratching the screen. I'll try the back of my nail when I get everything loaded up.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #15
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
I did find using the tip of my finger worked better than the pad of my finger. Tried doing one swipe with the stylus to change the page and felt like I was scratching the screen. I'll try the back of my nail when I get everything loaded up.
Lots of people have fretted here about scratches and fingerprints on the touchscreen. I don't have either, and I've been using mine since Christmas.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote