Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Could not find reasonable point at which to split

I have been trying and trying to convert a novel I have bought from lit to ePub. I have tried it all ways - command line convert to html, then Calibre to convert to ePub, converting to ePub on the command line, trying the whole process with Callibre, editing the html, then converting - I am completely exasperated.

It converted to lit format very easily, but I no longer have a Sony Reader.

The error appears to be because the html file is too large - I wasn't aware that this particular book was that long.

I have attached the error message from Calibre.

Looking forward to a solution!
Attached Files
File Type: txt error.txt (2.0 KB, 403 views)
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Most likely this is because the LIT file just contains one <pre> tag with lots of text in it. Thus calibre cannot figure out where to split the file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks kovidgoyal

What do I need to do to the html file?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

just extract the contents of the <pre> tag and put it into a txt file and convert that
Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
scgf
Connoisseur

Cheers kovidgoyal. I removed <pre> and </pre> from the html file and the conversion worked perfectly.

Thank you!
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does that actually matter for the Opus, though (the device the original poster has)? To the best of my knowledge, devices using the Adobe "Portable SDK" ePub reader don't have the 260k "flow limit" that the Sony Reader has.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Don't know, that needs to be verified. Once it is, I'll create an Output profile for the Opus that disables size based splitting.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it would still be a good idea to create "Sony-sized" flow for device compatibility purposes, especially if uploading books here.

If anyone has an ePub file with large flows, I'll be happy to test it on my Opus, just so we know.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does that actually matter for the Opus, though (the device the original poster has)? To the best of my knowledge, devices using the Adobe "Portable SDK" ePub reader don't have the 260k "flow limit" that the Sony Reader has.
AFAIK it is 300kb per flow, or more precisely, ~96kb for compressed ZIP. And Sony Reader uses the Mobile SDK too, just an older version. I also doubt they have removed the limit completely, maybe just pushed it up a bit.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
AFAIK it is 300kb per flow, or more precisely, ~96kb for compressed ZIP. And Sony Reader uses the Mobile SDK too, just an older version. I also doubt they have removed the limit completely, maybe just pushed it up a bit.
AFAIK, the ePub reader on the Sony 505 and 700 predates the Adobe "portable SDK" that the more recent devices are using. I think the Sony one was custom-written by Sony and Adobe.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If anyone has an ePub file with large flows, I'll be happy to test it on my Opus, just so we know.
La divina commedia has large flows (and big pictures, and lots of hyperlinks, and "exotic" characters"...)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just tried it - works fine on the Opus, with the exception (reported elsewhere) that the Russian part does not have the required characters in the font.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can somebody tell me the screensize, dpi of the Opus for the new output profile
Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I think it's 800×600 pixels, and 200dpi.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Is that the full useable are or just the nominal screen size?