Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Adding books to the kindle 2....has it gotten easier?

Ok, well I was wondering with the release of the kindle 2, has amazon made it any easier to get mobipocket books onto the kindle 2?

Thanks for the help!
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It's exactly the same as before... if it's unprotected MOBI, you just copy it via USB (or download from the web browser if you can); if it's protected MOBI, it won't work.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
It's exactly the same as before... if it's unprotected MOBI, you just copy it via USB (or download from the web browser if you can); if it's protected MOBI, it won't work.
Does igor's script not work anymore?
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I believe it works but Fictionwise and Mobipocket don't accept Kindle PIDs with *s in them anymore.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Are there really a lot of books available from Fictionwise (only in secure mobi) and Mobipocket itself that aren't available for the Kindle directly?
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
spiegels
lifetime reader
spiegels began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
kindlefix still works.

I use it to allow me to add library books to my kindle.

I had no success running kindlefix on my Vista based computer but it ran perfectly on my XP computer.
spiegels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Are there really a lot of books available from Fictionwise (only in secure mobi) and Mobipocket itself that aren't available for the Kindle directly?
No.

But some new Kindle purchasers have an already existing library of Mobipocket DRM'd books...so their choices are to not read them on the Kindle, purchase them again, use kindlefix, or remove the DRM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I just had an email conversation with Fictionwise about the * in the PID, and they said that the Mobipocket DRM server will not accept the asterisk. I guess they are using their DRM server now? When I first got my K1, I was able to download and kindlefix.py a few files. Now, I can't.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I just had an email conversation with Fictionwise about the * in the PID, and they said that the Mobipocket DRM server will not accept the asterisk. I guess they are using their DRM server now? When I first got my K1, I was able to download and kindlefix.py a few files. Now, I can't.
FW has always used Mobi's DRM server for the majority of their DRM'd Mobi files. Since OverDrive dropped them I'd guess they use Mobi's server exclusively.

BoB uses Mobi's server for their PX Mobi books and OverDrive's server for their OD Mobi books. It's the OD ones that will take the * PID, at least for now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
you have to use a store that uses the Overdrive servers. BoB is one of them. And most, if not all libraries are the others.

But, if you are buying an ebook, Amazon is usually your best bet for price and selection.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
yeah, so easy someone at work accidently bought me that guernsey book by accident
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiegels View Post
kindlefix still works.

I use it to allow me to add library books to my kindle.

I had no success running kindlefix on my Vista based computer but it ran perfectly on my XP computer.
Really? Mine does fine with it..
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The thing that irritated me is that when I first got my Kindle 1, I was able to use my previously purchased Secure Mobipocket files with my new Kindle PID on Fictionwise books, but later on, they changed the PID, and it didn't work any more.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote