Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
BikinOn
BikinOn began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100, Sony 505 & 700
Combining entries into one?

Perhaps this has been answered elsewhere - I have just started using Calibre, but I've been using e-readers and collecting e-books since '99. I now have a LOT of ebooks. So far I've only moved about a 1000 into Calibre, but I now have a number of multiple entries, due to having obtained or converted a volume into multiple file types over the years: HTML, RB, TXT, etc.

I notice Calibre has a nice feature of enabling additional copies of a book to be added to the original entry, is there a way to combine two or more single entries into one that holds both formats of the book? Are there any reasons for not doing this?
BikinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There isn't a way to do this automatically, but you can use the edit metadata dialog to add additional formats for each book
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
BikinOn
BikinOn began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100, Sony 505 & 700
Thanks for the reply. I can't help feeling that adding a feature that does this might be a good idea. I have around 30,000 ebooks and I would guess that 5-6,000 are simply the same thing in different formats. :-(
BikinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're comfortable using scripts, you can use the calibredb command to do this programatically
Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd like to support this feature request as well. I think it would be very helpful to be able to tell Calibre that two entries are really the same book.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You should open a ticket for a feature request, or add a comment to an existing one. Forum posts get lost.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Ok, I'll do that.

Edit: Filed as #3234: Feature request: Merge entries with same book

Last edited by nekokami; 08-21-2009 at 11:40 AM.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Lorraine Froggy
Lorraine Froggy began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I also think that's a really good idea, to have the opportunity to merge two or more books like in Apple adress book.
Lorraine Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining entries